My hunt for the Icon...

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Had a dream that my local Verizon store still had the Icon in stock, so I ventured over there today. They had it out on display, and the salesman was very cool...didn't really know Windows Phones too much, but liked them from the little he played around. Said he was a Blackberry guy so he knew the pain of WP users. Went out back to get me a phone.....and when he got there, the stock shelves were bare...and so poor Spacey had none.

All they had left for the icon were two cases and a screen protector...no more phones in stock...he tried to order one online, but I already knew the answer to that.

Went to another Verizon store a little out of my way. I got as far as "We don't have any. Why would you even want a Nokia?" and walked out.

Called the closest MS store to me (about an hour away), and they had some in stock, and, finally...I can say -

I finally have an Icon.

Setting up PfD now so I'll have 8.1 at least, and what I had of Denim on my 822 just made me want the Icon more...when Denim comes to this phone, it'll be amazing.

yay!

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had no desire to look for another phone since I bought my Icon. you'll be happy with your purchase and very happy when you put PFD on. it just make the phone great. and as you put it, amazing things are coming for it....:excited:

pbphotos

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I wish you the best with your Icon. I hope you have better luck than I do with PFD. My icon turns off randomly, sometimes I can't turn it on, battery sometime will not charge past 87% when left on the charger for hours, then you will turn it off for the night and turn on in the morning and it is 100%. Huh? So confused. I still have my 920 on PFD and it works like a champ. My job is forcing me onto Verizon and I forced them to find me a Icon as I wouldn't accept any other phone. I just want it to work and not sure what to do about it. As I type I'm doing the second hard reset. if you have any suggestions on how to get it stable, please let me know. I'm determined to get this to work so I can enjoy the phone.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I wish you the best with your Icon. I hope you have better luck than I do with PFD. My icon turns off randomly, sometimes I can't turn it on, battery sometime will not charge past 87% when left on the charger for hours, then you will turn it off for the night and turn on in the morning and it is 100%. Huh? So confused. I still have my 920 on PFD and it works like a champ. My job is forcing me onto Verizon and I forced them to find me a Icon as I wouldn't accept any other phone. I just want it to work and not sure what to do about it. As I type I'm doing the second hard reset. if you have any suggestions on how to get it stable, please let me know. I'm determined to get this to work so I can enjoy the phone.

if you are having that much trouble with the DP especially on a work phone even after multiple hard resets then go back to stock 8.0/black imho and see how it works, in the next couple of weeks (months?) we should be getting the 8.1.1/Denim OTA from Verizon and then you can see if the phone is more stable with 8.1.1 matched with the current firmware fixes that will come along with Denim

pbphotos

May 28, 2014
Visit site
if you are having that much trouble with the DP especially on a work phone even after multiple hard resets then go back to stock 8.0/black imho and see how it works, in the next couple of weeks (months?) we should be getting the 8.1.1/Denim OTA from Verizon and then you can see if the phone is more stable with 8.1.1 matched with the current firmware fixes that will come along with Denim

I have been thinking about doing that, just frustrating to go backwards since I've been so used to all the extras 8.1 brought to the table. If it continues, I will probably take your advice. Anyone else here have so many problems with DP?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So far so good...spent most of last night updating, re-downloading apps, and re-logging in to various services (And paying extra attention to the gf, who was upset that I upgraded before she did :smile:). Battery takes more juice than I thought, so it'll be interesting to see how it handles my usage (Not a ton, few phone calls, music at the gym, maybe a quick video). The 822 would usually get through almost a full day without a charge unless I played a game or two. Seems like the Icon will get about the same amount of time.

Haven't played around with the camera or video yet, but I plan to today - We're having a quick couple inch snow squall at the moment so there should be some pretty scenes in a couple hours...

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I have been thinking about doing that, just frustrating to go backwards since I've been so used to all the extras 8.1 brought to the table. If it continues, I will probably take your advice. Anyone else here have so many problems with DP?

I've noticed that a hard reset can have a huge effect on battery life...in both directions. First one I did absolutely killed battery life...I thought it was just the DP working the 822 fairly hard. I needed to reset again a couple weeks later, and this time I didn't restore from backup, just started fresh. Battery life almost doubled. Perhaps I had an app running I didn't know about and/or miss, but I've considered resets part of the update process since then.

If this is your 2nd hard reset without any improvement (and you're restoring from backup), try starting fresh and adding the apps you need back one by one from the store. It takes some time, but you may be surprised.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I think it's the luck of the draw. I'm on my second Icon with the PFD and the only problems I have with this one are random reboots (a couple times a week and they usually occur when playing music connected to a Bluetooth speaker) and the slow wake on wifi. My first Icon had the rapid battery drain issue and phantom taps/swipes. Tried a few hard resets with it and even a revert to 8 didn't help the taps, which was my breaking point with it. Got a replacement last August via the MS warranty upgrade plan and installed PFD immediately. Been fine except for the couple things.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Battery usage is heavy during initial setup, make sure to go back to your accounts and adjust the SYNC to not run as items arrive or say good by to battery life. Unless you need it to be that way. I set my personal e-mail accounts to every 2 hours and I sync manually when I need to check for an incoming message and 15 minutes for my work account (sometimes longer as I am usually at my computer to check work e-mails) this will save your battery more than anything

Good luck. I love mine and can't wait for denim to finally drop to get some of the new features the firmware brings :)

pbphotos

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that a hard reset can have a huge effect on battery life...in both directions. First one I did absolutely killed battery life...I thought it was just the DP working the 822 fairly hard. I needed to reset again a couple weeks later, and this time I didn't restore from backup, just started fresh. Battery life almost doubled. Perhaps I had an app running I didn't know about and/or miss, but I've considered resets part of the update process since then.

If this is your 2nd hard reset without any improvement (and you're restoring from backup), try starting fresh and adding the apps you need back one by one from the store. It takes some time, but you may be surprised.

Yeah I did 3 hard resets and had the same results so I reloaded the original version this morning from the Nokia Restore program so I'm back to regular 8. Will see how it goes for a few days and if all is well maybe I'll go back to 8.1 and hope for better results.

pbphotos

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well I reverted back to 8 and still have issues with random battery life. Can't charge past 87%, turn off the phone and turn it on a hour later and it says 100%. I'll be sending the phone back and getting another one. I hope the next one works as I really want the icon and to be on 8.1.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I would get it replaced. We have 2 Icons on PfD and no issues at all.
I get 3+ full days with no use, 2 days with light use, 1+ days with medium use and about 4 to 5 hours with extremely heavy use.
I have Zero Charging issues on either one.

These phones are great, too bad we don't have Denim yet, cause they would be even better.

pbphotos

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would get it replaced. We have 2 Icons on PfD and no issues at all.
I get 3+ full days with no use, 2 days with light use, 1+ days with medium use and about 4 to 5 hours with extremely heavy use.
I have Zero Charging issues on either one.

These phones are great, too bad we don't have Denim yet, cause they would be even better.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I really want to get it working on 8.1, have to see what my company does on if they want to continue to get it from the supplier they used or if I can get them to get it from the local Verizon store. I checked today and found a few stores around that have some stock.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Yo Spacey,

What made you buy the Icon? Don't you want to wait for the future WP releases?

Not really. I've been drooling over the Icon for months now, and was finally eligible for an upgrade...I had the ca$h, and grabbed it as soon as I could

I'm not one that has to have the latest and greatest on day 1...and I'm not willing to wait til I can afford what gets released in Q3 or Q4 of this year.

MS seems to be concentrating on the budget phones lately, and I wanted something a little closer to high-end for a change :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett