Current 928 user...upgrade to Icon or wait?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just have to say, that the speakers on my Icon blow my aunt's 928 out of the water, so I think ajst222 is an isolated case. And since the Icon is on Verizon, I assume you are too, and I don't see VZW getting a flagship Lumia anytime soon. Possibly another OEM. But if u want a flagship Lumia to get you thru 2015, then get an Icon while you still can, as VZW stopped selling them online, and actual store inventory is limited.

I doubt it's an isolated case. The Icon isn't known for having the greatest speakers while the 928 IS known for having very good speakers

jacob103

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I doubt it's an isolated case. The Icon isn't known for having the greatest speakers while the 928 IS known for having very good speakers

What are you talking about the 928 has loud but terrible speakers mine busted within 6 months of owning it. And I hardly ever use it.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dana, I also have Lumia 9xx and waiting for upgrade even though I'm sure for an upgrade. I want something better than current flagships as these are already 1 year old. By buying the next flagship you will have the benefit of an latest hardware which will be supported for atleast next 2 years. So, wait and buy the next good flagship. Personally I'm waiting for 1020 successor.

Totally agree. Would it have been worth it to buy an Icon 8 months ago if you had a 928? Yes. But not with the Icon at a year old and the fact that (my opinion) was kind of a boring upgrade to the 928 anyway. If you were coming from say iOS or Android, I'd definitely recommend it. But upgrading from the 928 at this point in time, no. Hold off.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The Icon is a solid phone for a long time to come. For a long time it has been top of the line device available next to MAYbe the 1520. and that is across all devices.

The hardware is solid, supports all available features (whenever Denim gets released) has a great camera now.
It's fast, good battery life. I don't get this fascination with the ALWays have to wait for the latest and greatest phones these days.
Just cause it's new, won't mean it is better.

Keep in mind that there is a point where the best phone you had was the last one.

If you want to wait, that is fine, but if you want something better now, something that will make you not pine for the next best thing for a long time, the Icon is it. Denim will make it even better, and WP10 will possibly be even better than WP8.1.

There is no talk about any flagships coming to any carriers at this time that I have seen, other than rumor.

I am not trying to talk you into it, but don't let anyone talk you out of it either.

The only thing that will make me upgrade to another phone will be WP10 device that surpasses the Icon by leaps and bounds, otherwise it will just be a sideways shift.

Side Note: Denim is not an OS Update it is a Firmware (Software that improves the Hardware Features and adds features). So Denim is Significant to the Icon for longevity. It will bring 4k recording, low light camera improvements, and many many more things that are a must for this phone. It's why VZW are dragging their feet, they hate that this phone tops every other phone on their shelves and will out last them all.

Last edited:

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the posts so far, everyone!

I'm getting my tomorrow! Picked it up in near Mint condition for a good price, so I saved my upgrade. :)

I decided to save my upgrade for later if anything catches my eye, keep the Icon in pristine condition and sell it to pay for the upgrade cost. (Assuming the upgrade cost is around $300 +$30 Verizon upgrade fee.. I'll make up most of the upgrade cost by selling the Icon if it sells well still.)

I went from the 928 to the Icon. I'm not sure if it's entirely worth it. Battery life hasn't changed really, and the speakers are far worse than the 928. On the plus side, camera is better, and the screen is MUCH better. Honestly, I think I would wait if I were you. While I love the Icon, it isn't exactly the phone of my dreams

Funny thing is, those are the two major things I care about most in a phone. :D

I'm still reading through the posts, but will try my best to comment back to you guys!

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I picked up a used Icon that was used once tomorrow!

I decided to save my upgrade for later if anything catches my eye, keep the Icon in pristine condition and sell it to pay for the upgrade cost. (Assuming the upgrade cost is around $300 +$30 Verizon upgrade fee.)

I'm still reading through the posts, but will try my best to comment back to you guys!

Camera is definitely a big selling point for me as well in a phone, and that's one reason why I would find it VERY hard to leave Lumia phones. However, battery life on the Icon just doesn't really cut it. I'm not sure how it compares exactly to the 928 as I haven't used a 928 in quite some time, but I definitely struggle to get through the day. My next phone, I definitely want battery life that can last a true day and more.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting my tomorrow! Picked it up in near Mint condition for a good price, so I saved my upgrade. :)

I decided to save my upgrade for later if anything catches my eye, keep the Icon in pristine condition and sell it to pay for the upgrade cost. (Assuming the upgrade cost is around $300 +$30 Verizon upgrade fee.. I'll make up most of the upgrade cost by selling the Icon if it sells well still.)

Smart thinking! Enjoy the Icon!

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Camera is definitely a big selling point for me as well in a phone, and that's one reason why I would find it VERY hard to leave Lumia phones. However, battery life on the Icon just doesn't really cut it. I'm not sure how it compares exactly to the 928 as I haven't used a 928 in quite some time, but I definitely struggle to get through the day. My next phone, I definitely want battery life that can last a true day and more.

Here are my latest 928 battery durations:

Recently, it's been:
Full to 30% in 20 hours (completely idle)
Full to 30% in 12 hours (occasional texts and social media)
Full to 30% in 10 hours (social media and moderate camera usage)
Full to 30% in 5 hours (heavy camera or GPS usage)

I think its an Icon issue. I had a number of replacements with battery issues. Finally got one that lasts all day.

What are the battery issues you experienced?

I hope mine doesn't have that problem. :(

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think its an Icon issue. I had a number of replacements with battery issues. Finally got one that lasts all day.

It's an Icon "issue" in the sense that the Icon and 930 simply just doesn't get great battery life, not an actual issue that they're having.

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Recently, it's been:

It's an Icon "issue" in the sense that the Icon and 930 simply just don't get great battery life, not an actual issue that they're having.

Quoted myself here ;)

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Recently, it's been:

The Icon's battery issue is just how the Icon is. They improved it with the first update in DP update 1 and with Battery Sense. It's about the same for me with your written findings, but if you use the phone a lot; switch between different apps; use the camera and gps, the battery will drain pretty quickly. Thank Nokia/Microsoft for integrated wireless charging.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to the Icon from an 822 - 1st thing I did was put the DP on it. I've been using the DP since day 1 - I couldn't go back to 8.0 <shudder>

The delay in unlocking is a tad annoying, but as I've said in other threads, the good about this phone FAR outweighs any minor issues.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I think you made a good move. I think that, even if a new flagship is announced, you'll be happy with the Icon for quote awhile. Unless you have to have the latest on Day 1, you can use the Icon for awhile and let flagship price come down a tad.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys recommend getting DP for the Icon or leaving it at 8.0? D:

I'd say definitely get the DP. Who knows when we'll get the Denim update from Verizon and it's a great update.

And what are these battery issues I'm reading here. My Icon seems to have the better battery life than the Lumia 900 did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers