Got a new Lumia 930! And...Purple Tint

Sipho94

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
So today I got a brand new Lumia 930, I previously had a Lumia 920 which at it's time had a pretty amazing display which held up quite well even today.

The 930 has a great display, although I feel as if it isn't calibrated correctly. If you turn the brightness all the way up to high - the "black" pixels which are supposed to be switched off on an OLED display get lighter.

Other than that...I don't seem to be missing the Glance Screen much.

Can anyone with Denim on their 930 say if the tint is gone?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I just installed Denim on my unlocked 930 (brand new), and yes I still have odd tint to it. However, I'm still out-of-box display brightness and color profiles, and I haven't tweaked anything yet. I definitely still notice the weird fade from darker to lighter (left to right) on the display too. Most noticeable on the lower edge menu bar.

I noticed last night when I was originally playing that the purple tint goes away with manually choosing Medium brightness or tweaking the color profile. However, I still had a weird adjustment happening from power on where it would be yellow-ish and then fade to correct setting.

I'll keep playing now that I've got Denim flashed and see how it feels.

UPDATE: Now that I've adjusted my settings, here's some new findings:

This is tested under MEDIUM brightness, no brightness scale adjustments, and color profile is Cool, theme is Orange (matches my 930 color).

No purple or yellow tinting anywhere, and no more power on transition discoloring.

HIGH brightness with other settings as indicated for medium: no tinting or discoloration issues that I can see.

LOW brightness with other settings as indicated, no tinting or discoloration issues that I can see.

So, my conclusions are that the auto brightness settings and/or the "standard" color profile may still be an issue, but mostly things seem fine, and the issues can be adjusted to better suit your preferences.

Last edited:

Sipho94

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I just installed Denim on my unlocked 930 (brand new), and yes I still have odd tint to it. However, I'm still out-of-box display brightness and color profiles, and I haven't tweaked anything yet. I definitely still notice the weird fade from darker to lighter (left to right) on the display too. Most noticeable on the lower edge menu bar.

I noticed last night when I was originally playing that the purple tint goes away with manually choosing Medium brightness or tweaking the color profile. However, I still had a weird adjustment happening from power on where it would be yellow-ish and then fade to correct setting.

I'll keep playing now that I've got Denim flashed and see how it feels.

UPDATE: Now that I've adjusted my settings, here's some new findings:

This is tested under MEDIUM brightness, no brightness scale adjustments, and color profile is Cool, theme is Orange (matches my 930 color).

No purple or yellow tinting anywhere, and no more power on transition discoloring.

HIGH brightness with other settings as indicated for medium: no tinting or discoloration issues that I can see.

LOW brightness with other settings as indicated, no tinting or discoloration issues that I can see.

So, my conclusions are that the auto brightness settings and/or the "standard" color profile may still be an issue, but mostly things seem fine, and the issues can be adjusted to better suit your preferences.

That's kind of a relief, I have noticed that the tint does come and go on my device. I did consider that the colour profile for the device might be a bit off at it's default.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The color issues will still be there on Denim... Yes, you can tweak the profile to minimize it, but if you use auto brightness you will still see it quite often. It is most prominent on a low brightness setting and the only way to minimize it is to increase the lowest allowed brightness. Even then you will still see it cycle through green and purple tints when it's adjusting brightness sometimes.

This is on a 930 with Denim, before that on Cyan and with two different displays (had it replaced for the tint issue). I am very pessimistic about this ever being fixed, but if you are lucky you are not as sensitive to tint issues.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The color issues will still be there on Denim... Yes, you can tweak the profile to minimize it, but if you use auto brightness you will still see it quite often. It is most prominent on a low brightness setting and the only way to minimize it is to increase the lowest allowed brightness. Even then you will still see it cycle through green and purple tints when it's adjusting brightness sometimes.

This is on a 930 with Denim, before that on Cyan and with two different displays (had it replaced for the tint issue). I am very pessimistic about this ever being fixed, but if you are lucky you are not as sensitive to tint issues.

It's like you didn't even read the thread before jumping in. First, if I recall, there was an article that we would see an update to address it. So relax. Especially given we have an excellent workaround for the issue (see my post).

Sipho94

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Haha hopefully a software fix will come out, I am typing this right now on a slightly purple keyboard. I think I will live with it, if I change the display settings and tint it to green - EVERYTHING tints to green.

And as much as I love being green, that would be taking it a step too far.

I did see info on the software fix, but I assumed that they would've included it in the Denim update. Who knows, it might just have to be an update to the "Display" settings app.

Side bar...so far battery life is quite mediocre. It just drains on standby for no reason.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
So today I got a brand new Lumia 930, I previously had a Lumia 920 which at it's time had a pretty amazing display which held up quite well even today.

The 930 has a great display, although I feel as if it isn't calibrated correctly. If you turn the brightness all the way up to high - the "black" pixels which are supposed to be switched off on an OLED display get lighter.

Other than that...I don't seem to be missing the Glance Screen much.

Can anyone with Denim on their 930 say if the tint is gone?
Ncese. Uzaba right neh... Lol

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
It's like you didn't even read the thread before jumping in. First, if I recall, there was an article that we would see an update to address it. So relax. Especially given we have an excellent workaround for the issue (see my post).

It's like you haven't even been around since the release of the 930... The problem has been around since release, has been known by Nokia/Microsoft since release and their soundbite has been that it will be fixed with an update for the last 6 months. It also seems like you haven't read my post at all... you tweaked the settings to minimize the issue, you didn't find some magical workaround.

I have tried all kinds of combinations and while it may look ok for a bit, as soon as you have your phone near a display with a decent known color accuracy you will see the difference. Not all 930 displays will have it as bad perhaps, but of the 25+ that I have had in my hands, they all had some tint issue.

Sipho94

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
It's like you haven't even been around since the release of the 930... The problem has been around since release, has been known by Nokia/Microsoft since release and their soundbite has been that it will be fixed with an update for the last 6 months. It also seems like you haven't read my post at all... you tweaked the settings to minimize the issue, you didn't find some magical workaround.

I have tried all kinds of combinations and while it may look ok for a bit, as soon as you have your phone near a display with a decent known color accuracy you will see the difference. Not all 930 displays will have it as bad perhaps, but of the 25+ that I have had in my hands, they all had some tint issue.

Dude. I feel you, I also think it has been a while since that story hit about them investigating the tint issue - sadly we know the update process is complicated. With carriers and so on, but Microsoft hasn't even released a statement with regards to their progress on it.

I just got the device, I hope my wait isn't as long as someone who got the device on day 1 though :p

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, they started 'investigating' it as soon as the 930's hit the market in the Scandinavian countries. They supposedly recalled some, but this was 6-7 months ago. The recent news article was just about the Lumia Support Twitter account rehashing what they said those 6-7 months back... No offense to anyone here, but I don't see it getting fixed anymore.

Sipho94

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, they started 'investigating' it as soon as the 930's hit the market in the Scandinavian countries. They supposedly recalled some, but this was 6-7 months ago. The recent news article was just about the Lumia Support Twitter account rehashing what they said those 6-7 months back... No offense to anyone here, but I don't see it getting fixed anymore.

On the plus side, it seems to come and go. I really do hope that Microsoft starts to give Windows Phone Insiders the ability to get both OS updates and firmware (even if it is just for Lumia devices at first) with Windows 10.

That I think would simplify cases like this greatly.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
On the plus side, it seems to come and go. I really do hope that Microsoft starts to give Windows Phone Insiders the ability to get both OS updates and firmware (even if it is just for Lumia devices at first) with Windows 10.

That I think would simplify cases like this greatly.

Agreed. Imagine if they were able to release firmware to us directly and have better test data to submit to carriers. I'd imagine that carriers would be forced to move faster that way.

Sipho94

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Imagine if they were able to release firmware to us directly and have better test data to submit to carriers. I'd imagine that carriers would be forced to move faster that way.

My dream is that with Windows 10 Microsoft might bypass carriers for phone updates and use windows update instead. I imagine that carriers would still be able to contribute to phone updates - but in the same way Lenovo or other OEMs can deliver updates via Windows Update.

Then all you would need is an enthusiasts program for early updates...and then - #Perfection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss