1520 a good buy at this point?

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Been contemplating giving up my Moto X for a BlackBerry Passport. But recently saw some 1520.3's come back in stock so that would be the perfect model to get since I'm on T-Mobile. I'm praying Windows 10 turns out to be everything I hope so I won't have a wasted 1520. Anyway, is it still a good buy?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It is a good buy but the 1520.3 is quite pricey over at B&H Photo Video. Try getting a used one on the Marketplace here or on Swappa. I have an AT&T unlocked one which will get HSPA/HSPA+ if you are interested.

Good luck.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather pay $500 at B&H and know I can buy with extended warranty. With added bonus of being 32GB, with wireless charging, and guaranteed LTE support on T-Mobile.

Alec Kong

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
(I have a Lumia Icon and it last me a full day with medium usage. Meaning surfing the web for about 4-5 hours, playing some games sometimes for about 30 mins, and social media for 2-3 hours. Calling not much, usually 10-15 mins a day max. I like texting more.) My sister has a Lumia 1520 and it last her 2-3 days uncharged with a lot of YouTube and web browsing and social media. But if she plays a lot a lot of videos that day it will last her for about a full day or 2. But if you're expecting a lot of games then windows phone is not for you.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I really want to purchase but I'm a bit turned off by the fact that Windows 10 likely won't arrive until Q4 2015 at best, making the device basically 2 years old. I'm torn.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I would say wait for the Windows 10 briefing on the 21st and see what 10 will look like on phones. All current 8.1 phones will be able to update to 10, but who knows what type of new hardware will be available and what limitations the older phones will have.

mowinemdown

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I would pass on the 1520. There are simply too many unknowns with windows 10 and too many hardware issues with the 1520 to risk your hard earned money on it blindly.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Just moved from my 830 to the 1520 and it has made a world of difference to me. Other differences aside, the 1520 doubles up as a mini-mini tablet, which helps me a lot - in terms of reading, doing web-related things etc. The internals - better by far than the 830 - are robust enough and while I have no proof of any kind, which is only another way of saying that I am just being speculative, I think they will do quite well in a Windows 10 world till at least the 1stQ of 2016 at which point an upgrade will become essential.

Needless to say that I bought mine - on the recommendation of a kindly member on Reddit - for ?252 (including shipping) brand new, which made it a lot more palatable that I had originally imagined.

I would say that if you got a good price and the phone was either new or in very good shape, then buy it (and pray that the reported h/w problems do not plague you - I've had mine for 24 hours only and I am being optimistic about my device...why would I not be :smile:)!

Good luck!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
This site is goofy. Cuts off my replies

I hesitate to say this but it might have something to do with something you said.

There is no unknown for Windows 10 and the 1520. Microsoft has stated definitively that any WP running WP 8 or higher will be able to run WP 10. And what hardware issues are you referring to? Some and I repeat SOME, 1520's have a touch problem. It doesn't seem to be on all but some of the 1520's.

As for not buying the 1520, it's among three WP's that are absolutely safe to buy at this time; the 1520, the 930/icon and I believe the 830. They make full use of the Denim upgrade and will have as much or more functionality in WP 10 as any phone.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I hesitate to say this but it might have something to do with something you said.

There is no unknown for Windows 10 and the 1520. Microsoft has stated definitively that any WP running WP 8 or higher will be able to run WP 10. And what hardware issues are you referring to? Some and I repeat SOME, 1520's have a touch problem. It doesn't seem to be on all but some of the 1520's.

As for not buying the 1520, it's among three WP's that are absolutely safe to buy at this time; the 1520, the 930/icon and I believe the 830. They make full use of the Denim upgrade and will have as much or more functionality in WP 10 as any phone.

Of the three phones that you list, the 830, while definitely will move to WP10, is also the weakest. The 930/ Icon and the 1520 - at least specwise - appear to be the best bets.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I bought my first 1520.3 in August. Had touch sensitivity issues. Bought a second one was fine. Sold for note 4. Got tired of Google again (don't trust them with my privacy) bought a white 1520.3 again last week, screen issues. They're replacing for another one.
I have no reservations that it still is the best windows phone you can get. I also tried the m8.
Btw, had 2 passports. Love them, will get one to play with eventually as a second phone but not a good choice for me for a primary phone.

I am a phoneaholic and had every flagship by every company. Currently typing this on a z3.

vincechan

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 1520 since April 2014. Back then for me it was a decision between the 1520 and the 1020. The specs of the 1520 were the deciding factor back then. In my opinion, it's a decent device now, even though there's always going to be that nagging feeling that something new will be released that'll be "better". I think the whole thing with Windows 10 is still an unknown right now; if you can wait until there's a definite yes/no about being able to update, it might be best to hold out until then. I'd expect that the 1520 would be fine, though.

lumiarna

Banned
Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I would get the 1520. For me personally it does all I need. Great camera and SD card with a lovely big screen. That's enough for me and I can't see what the next new phones will offer apart from better processors and more internal ram... But for me... This phone will last for years personally. All I need is my phone for web, calls and music... Since that's going to be in all phones I have no need to get the latest model a few years down the line.

JennyTan

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I bought 1520.3 back around August, 2014. Just love it. No touch screen issue. Black Friday bought 635 for $39 to pair it with 1520 using 635's LTE internet sharing. So now I can make phone call while browsing the web. Very convenient. I have been showcasing to my friends and they started to think about the 1520.

vincechan

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The touchscreen problem is annoying (I'd hope that it's a software issue rather than a hardware-related one, but, on my device at least, it still hasn't been sorted). I wouldn't say its a deal breaker as such, but that's just my opinion. I think more of an issue is the decision of whether someone wants to use a larger phablet-sized service or a smaller one that can be used more easily with a single hand. I recently bought a cheap Xperia Android for mobile development testing and found the 4" screen to be a lot easier to handle. That said, the screen size and clarity of the 1520 still impresses folk! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb