Nokia 920 --> Nokia 930 upgrade

Martin Spilovsky

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Since I finally got my L930 as an replacement to my L920 I wanted to share my feelings that led to this.

The decision was either L830 or L930 since the difference for my operator wasnt that big decided to go for the L930, which is at the end an high end, which much upcoming improvements.

Main reason for the L930 was the camera, because I make a lot im photos video of my small children, and the Denim upgrade should make the camera even better.

Some few feelings, from the first day

I look the look and the feel, the back ruby plastic on the L930 is much better in my hand as the L920. FFS is lighter :D, its not that bigger with the FullHD display, great I love also the curved edges, finally. The screen omg, excellent, however 2 points, 1st thing the colors are oversaturated, but this can be changed with the settings. There is one thing that sucks, and as I read is fixed mostly with Denim, is this blur when scrolling, c'mon Microsoft this is an High-end.

Well the buttons are a bit harder to press, think that L920 was a bit better here.

Some short info to overheating, well I have installed over 10GB of apps just after I god phones, Asphalt8, Halo and other essential stuff xD, profile migration, didnt notice that the device was getting extra warm.

I will test the device and the battery life the next week,

The device came today to my work and everybody was really amazed what i got - mean WP :), not an iPhone nor a S5, not a Z3C, and a lot of people said, thats it looks really cool, quality build, Amoled display, feel in hand, ok its a big heavy 165g, still if you want to use better materials its more heavier then some ****y plastics.

Some people even started considering bying a WP device after Android or iP.

If someone from you has some question just ask.

GJ M$/Nokia

Martin

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear that you like the 930.
I guess if you have a problem with your phone you take your 2 friends (on the picture) with you to the shop and al problems get solved very quickly.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I have a 920 and i was considering the 930 for some time and then decided not to take it. After trying it, i didn't see much improvements or at least not enough improvements to pay for a new high-end device.

The 2 things that surprised me as well was the screen. I found it unreasonnably saturated. It was so saturated that it was not enjoyable. It was just too much and the screen didn't appear as sharp as i expected it to be. Then the scrolling.... for some reasons, i didn't get that same feeling of smoothness that i'm used to with the 920 (when it doesn't stutter). The scrolling on the 930 felt "heavy", unnatural. I precise that i was using a 930 in a store. So my first impressions with the 930 were "meh". It did feel good in the hand though, and a lot lighter than the 920 even at 165gr.

Waiting for the next flagship now, my 920 still does what i need it to do and the 930 didn't seduce me enough to bring it back with me.

BTW, i have a question: does the 930 gets hot around the camera when you are taking pictures? My 920 tends to get really hot after taking a few pics... is it the same on the 930?

Cheers!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
My first WP was the 920. I bought and sold a few Icons, which convinced me that I needed a 930.

The screen is no comparison, IMHO. The scrolling text issue seems much ado about nothing to me, but that's just me.

Camera is great, and it is lighter.

Overall, I felt the 930 to be a substantial upgrade from the 920. In fact, I think this 930 is fantastic, as opposed to the 920 which is very good.

Martin Spilovsky

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
gonna do some videos picture and tell you, still I read on this forum that the overheating problem is fixed with Denim , but gonna try that one out. I had with my L920 same hot experience after doing some photos and videos was really hot.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had a bunch of windows phones but the 930 out classes all of them even with this crappy battery and overheating issue im still here trying to get rid of this one and buy another one because the phone just seems so good sigh

FSchmatz

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
so i made the jump a month ago.
Surely the phone is better and the only thing wrong is the screen blur that drives me crazy, i know the 920 had a crazy refresh rate but on the 930 is too much slow ,i compared with other amoled screen phones (moto x 2014,some samsungs) and they had better refresh rates, i am learning to live with it but i hope Denim do some tweaks on that
In terms of Screen quality,battery,camera and design in my opinion is better.

Last edited:

chillteki

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
What is this screen blur exactly? I also use the 930 and didn't mention any problems with the screen so far... (own it for 3 months now)

Martin Spilovsky

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
so next feedback regarding the phone...

Battery life after 2nd charge about 57% after 17 hours of usage isnt that bad, playing some games - one roung with asfalt8, but taking videos outdoors + shooting my children in the snow, wasnt that cold about 4, till 7 ?C, and no-wind conditions. video were shooting in 720p, photos default setting, videos are absolutely amazing, photos too, really like the OIS, where I was taking vidoes running after my kids, whats its better is def. the sound quality and also the video capturing is better, didnt notice any-heating from the phone videos were about 2mins x 5 in row.

Regarding the gaming experience I have the feeling that the games for WP arent really FullHD, besides Asfalt8. Around X-mas I bough Modern combat 5, for some reason its not supported on my L930, hmmm.

Regarding this purple hue color on display, didnt notice it after all.

Something to say to battery life, am using indoors low contrast outdoor medium. Im connected to network at home via Wifi, but also to mobile network - mostly 2G, i think that 3G/4G is a really hard battery killer, draws more battery then getting data over Wifi.

Also disabled syncing stuff to Onedrive - photos/videos, and also disabled games in background.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Thats great. I do got one question tho.
How long are you gaming sessions ? I feel like the only thing that really draining my battery are the games.
wp_ss_20150118_0001.jpg
As you can see I installed a few games. And they do drain a lot of juice.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Guys one thing I can say for certain from seeing comparison videos of 930 vs other lower lumias is that switching apps ,you wont have that resuming issue one bit,test for yourself especially switching back to Skype,along with great camera improvements,its good to grab the 930,I'm selling my Lumia 1020 at end of month to neighbour to purchase 930, getting it at a good price of $393USD including shipping for unlocked version, http://www.1shopmobile.com/Nokia-Lumia-930.html ,same site I purchased my 1020 from,they have good prices guys,check it out

Martin Spilovsky

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
regarding overheating and game play well I noticed some really good heating when I played Dungeon Hunter 4, the phone was hot but not as hot as my L920 when I played the same game, the game sometimes crashed on L920, L930 no problems hangs, drops, When I compare it to the CPU its amazing, becuase the L920 has only 2x1.5Ghz and the L930 4x2,2Ghz, thats much more power, regarding battery life have few tips, - using all the time just 2G, for facebook chats/emails its enough, using 3G/4G only sometimes because they drain the battery a lot, email sync to 15/30 minutes, dont use push it kills, check background apps, most I have low contrast, outdoors switch to medium, yesterday after my 2nd charge after I got my L930 was after 18 hours still on 60% battery, and that includes taking pictures and 20 minutes of video outdoors of my kids. so thats pretty decent for a 2400 Battery and powering up a FullHD display.

The phone shutdown after 20 minutes of instance gameplay DH4, batery life was about 20%

Martin Spilovsky

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
After a week my feelings about this phone.

Camera,Battery life, performance, display are expected dont regret anything, still I would like to have an IPS display instead of an Amoled, but not because of glance, but color.

Overheating is much smaller then on the L920.

Regarding apps, games, I think there are all aps what I need

Facebook/Messenger, Waze, Here drive, IM, Video players, email clients, office pack (huge plus), onenote, onedrive, battle net authenticator :), in the mean while also my Bank has released the app for my conto management.

Games: cloud riders, Asf8, Dungeon Hunter, Despicable me, Subway surfer, M$Mahjong, Solitaire

Dont buy my phone because of many apps are in store, but because of the quality of the apps.

the back cover with the material such as the OnePlus One has, would be much better , still the back cover on the L930 is much better then on the L920.

I really like the size, 5 inches is the optimal size for a phone that I would buy, 5.5 is too much, compared also the LG G3 with OnePlus One, and even the G3 and 1+1 are 5.5 the G3 is smaller

Consider one thing, you can have a freaking phone with enourmeous performance 4GB RAM, octa-core, whats there for you, if after 1/2 or 1 year the company will stop releasing updates on your OS? fix issues, I had this on my HTC and Xperia, real pain, pray everyday when I real the comments from the manufacturers.

Really good upgrade, however there was no other phone to choose from besides the L930 xD

at work and some poeple already ask me about the L930, gaming, played with it, whats the WP like, camera, lot of them told me that they start considering bying an WP phone after Nexus 5 or Iphone5s

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos