735 on U.S. T-Mobile

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just started using the RM-1039 version from B&H Photo on T-Mobile. I'll be using this phone for a while for the heck of it. First I'd like to say the amoled screen is gorgeous. Reminds me of the Lumia 925. I have a Sandisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-1 class 10 64GB card installed and I've loaded several apps on it (no games). Only apps on phone memory are the stock OneDrive, Video, Lumia Camera, Lumia Storyteller, Lumia Selfie, Games, Calendar, Battery Saver, Podcasts, HERE apps, Music, and Files. The only maps I have installed are in phone memory (Oklahoma). I moved all MSN apps to the sd card along with App Social, Lumia Help+Tips, Transfer my Data. I uninstalled Skype and Facebook as I have no use for them.
So far I find this phone very fluid and a delight to use. No hiccups, stutters, lags. Very impressed to say the least! I've taken a couple of pictures with the 6.7MP camera and holy cow it produces outstanding images. Haven't taken any video tho. Took a silly selfie pic just to test and it's outstanding (for you selfie taking lovers).
I'm not a phone techie expert at all but I will say that this phone is an outstanding value in my opinion. If you don't *need* Pureview camera and such as in the 830 or 930 this is the phone to get. Great price (unlocked). It doesn't have Glance (a feature I really like) but I can live without it and I'm not hesitant at all using this phone without it. I can confidently recommend this phone to anyone that likes Lumia's but cannot afford the 830 or 930. You will not be disappointed in performance. Call quality is great. Speaker is very good with great clarity (I personally think it sounds better than the speaker on my 830).
Below I've posted a sample of the 4G LTE T-Mobile speeds I'm getting inside my apartment where I live. If you live in a city with good T-Mobile coverage (as I do) I'll say you can't really go wrong with this phone.
DeviceShot130660869270327508.jpg

Last edited:

officially_juju

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I enjoyed this! Thank you! I just ordered one from bhphotovideo.com and await its delivery! I decided to ditch my expensive iPhone 6 for this phone... selling it on eBay!

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's really an outstanding phone. I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth and seamless this phone operates. I just started using it regularly and all I can say is "wow!". Plus it's so light and very easy to use one-handed. On a 100% charged battery starting at 6am the phone still had a 60% charge @ 6pm with moderate use throughout the day (Texting, watching a few YouTube videos via MetroTube, news reading via News, News Republic, Drudge Daily, watching videos via Liveleak+). About 20 minutes of Bluetooth streaming in my car via Slacker Radio.
The apps allowed running in the background are: News (msn), HERE Drive+, Cortana, OneDrive, Drudge Daily, 4castr weather app, Package Tracker, Quake Watch, and Chronos Calendar+.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Does the screen seem bigger than the 925?
The screen doesn't *seem* to be much bigger (even tho the 925 is 4" and the 735 4.7"). Maybe slightly. I know it's bigger. Well, taller. Holding the 735 in my hand feels about the same as holding the 635 and the iPhone 6. I no longer have the 925 to really compare but in my opinion the 735 screen is just as gorgeous. The 735 is a better one-hand use phone -- much like the 635. The 735 screen DOES seem bigger than the 635 (4.5" for the 635, 4.7" for the 735) even tho the difference is less compared to the 925. Difficult for me to explain.
Using the 735 with its Amoled screen makes it feel like I'm using a 925 that's been stretched a bit -- minus Glance, and the phone doesn't heat up like the 925. Battery performance is better. Overall the 735 isn't quite as snappy as the 925. Mind you that's overall. Here's a way of putting it: Using the 735 is like using a glorified 635 ... lol.

Andrew_404

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm using T-Mobile also. I have the Nokia 735 and I can't tell you how pleased I am with their network. Recently, I was travelling just outside Atlanta about 30 miles. Out of curiosity, I did a speed test and received 79 mbps for download. Insane. To me, T-Mobiles call quality is far better than AT&T (have an Apple work phone with 4G) I get less static with T-Mobile too.

Using their $30 dollar plan. 100 min of talk, unlimited text nationwide / international &, 5GB of LTE data speeds. Awesome....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Paid right at $289. Battery life is exceptional (see previous post).

I'm sorry for bringing up an old post, but it's currently relevant. I recently got a RM-1039 of my own to use on T-mobile, thanks to your posts and also Steve Penner's. I like it, but for some reason, my 735 keeps dropping to Edge. Not even HSPA+, just Edge. At home, I get LTE just fine, but at work, it's been dropping to Edge and that is annoying. I say this because on two other phones I have tried out, both have had LTE at work. (Those two other phones are the T-mo 640 and Blu Win HD LTE)

Do you deal with the same thing when you use it?

Edit: You can still answer of course, but I figured out my workplace is the one that is the bad egg. Driving around, and even on the drive home, I have had LTE throughout. To be fair, even with my T-mo 640, there are still areas at work where my phone drops to Wifi calling. With the Blu, in those cases, it just showed no service temporarily so getting Edge has to be better than that. Something to think about, I guess.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have this issue. All of my phones behave the same (iphone 6s, HTC One M8 - T-Mobile branded, L925 - T-Mobile branded, L830 - RM-985, L735 - RM-1039). I haven't messed with any of the apn settings on any of the phones. Just installed my SIM and all is well across the board. I have a Simple Choice postpaid plan.

Where I live there's really good T-Mobile coverage. No Band 12 ---- just Band 4 (I believe). The phones (any of them) are not dropping to Edge anywhere I go. At home/work.

I have no idea why your 1039 is doing this :-/

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your response. That makes me wonder if something is wrong with the one I have. I'll have to call them and ask what bands are used primarily in the area I work sometime.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It could be dropping to Edge and not HSPA+ due to your phone not supporting 3G on AWS frequencies.
Hmm, okay. That would make sense for sure. It is weird that it only happens in one place for me.
I will be going to different areas soon (for social things, and general life stuff), so I'll be able to see if it only happens in that location or if it happens in more than one. If it only happens in that location, I'll be alright, I'm always on wifi at work anyway.

anon9776305

Banned
Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It could be dropping to Edge and not HSPA+ due to your phone not supporting 3G on AWS frequencies.
The 735 does support AWS bands. There is documentation all over the interweb that can confirm this. I will see if I still have my 735 manual that explicitly says the phone supports AWS.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 735 does support AWS bands. There is documentation all over the interweb that can confirm this. I will see if I still have my 735 manual that explicitly says the phone supports AWS.
You're correct, I see it in the manual now that you mention it. Considering that you said this, it could be possible that AWS is either weak or not in existence at my work area?

anon9776305

Banned
Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
You're correct, I see it in the manual now that you mention it. Considering that you said this, it could be possible that AWS is either weak or not in existence at my work area?
I'd hate to beat the dead horse, but have you double checked to make sure the APNs are correct? I have had 2 of these phones running on T-Mo for my nieces.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'd hate to beat the dead horse, but have you double checked to make sure the APNs are correct? I have had 2 of these phones running on T-Mo for my nieces.
It's fine, anything helps.
I have Manual Internet APN on.

Internet APN:
-APN: fast.t-mobile.com
-Authentication type: PAP (this is greyed out, I have never been able to change it)
-IP type: IPv4v6
Everything else is blank.

MMS, I got from here: T-Mobile APN MMS Settings For Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia
I know it works for the MMS because I got one today, and I was able to see it.

If I don't use a manual APN, the IP type changes to IPv4. Also, network type is set to automatic in there as well, if it matters.

Regardless, at home and on the road, I have LTE, just not at work, which is a little annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte