Should I get the Lumia 1520 or HTC One for Windows?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I have both. Use my 1520 for days when I need crazy battery life and outstanding photos (weekends mostly) and the M8 the rest of the time. The M8's camera is a lightningrod of ******** on the internet, but it's fine unless you are cropping or printing billboards from it. By the way, you should never do either of these things with a cellphone camera.

The speakers on the M8 are nuts. Also, the headphone performance is superior since the M8 has an internal amp. Sound is crazy on both the speakers and headphones.

Found both for ~$450 (both used, mint condition, AT&T branded and unlocked - shop around, negotiate and shop smart!). Yes, two phones for ~$225/each. Love the nano SIM ease of transfer, too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've found 1520's for anything from $200-$400 but I can't get info on whether or not it's RM-938 or RM-940

Where are you looking? Swappa is pretty straight forward. The listing usually says as they have a mandatory IMEI input for sellers and it classes the devices accurately.

There should be some in the WC Marketplace. The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade - Windows Central Forums

B&H Photo/Video has BNIB 1520.3 in stock for yellow or white... Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 32GB Smartphone A00016720 B&H Photo

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1520 or HTC One for Windows

1520, all day, every day. Just note how glorious it looked running Windows 10, and anyone saying you can't print from a cellphone camera obviously doesn't use the full resolution the 1520 is capable of. Enough of the excuses and rationalizations for the htc camera! With Denim, 4K, 4 mics, Dolby recording, Qi charging, its truly the best showcase for WP.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I also have both and use them regularly, switching off every couple of days. I'm on T-Mobile and have a 1520.3 and a T-Mobile M8.

I love them both but if I were forced to choose I would take the 1520 due to these factors:
* larger screen and form factor
* glance
* better camera
* wireless charging
* better extras e.g. call/SMS blocking

The HTC is beautifully designed -- easily the loveliest phone I've ever owned. The screen on the HTC is a little nicer, with more accurate and vivid colors. The T-Mobile M8 variant is nearly completely unbranded; there are no T-Mobile markings on the phone, nor is there a T-Mo splash screen when booting.

But the camera just doesn't cut it compared to a Lumia. It may be fast but shots come out blurry and blotchy. It's really just no comparison. except perhaps under the most perfect of outdoor conditions.

The dotview case is growing on me, but is gimmicky and limited compared to glance. It also negates the best feature of the phone, e.g., the design because it hides the phone behind cheap plastic.

I'm not giving either of them up any time soon. But if the Lumia is 9/10 for me, then the M8 is "only" 8.5/10.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Well yeah, if you guys are talking the .3, it has obvious advantages over the US version. Qi is neat, but I easily live without (had it on many other Android phones).

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I've bought two 1520s used. Each one cost me around $200. One was in decent shape, good enough for $200. The other is in fantastic shape. Almost brand new! They just aren't valued by some people and they want to ditch them fast for anything they can. Their loss is my gain!

Javadevil

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody has any issues with the 1520 touch screen ? when swiping up and down it always opens something that I haven't selected, or jumps to a different part on the website. It drives me nuts. There was a thread here about it, saying its a hardware issue, where the touchscreen goes out of alignment and you need to flex your phone to put it back.

So nobody else has these issues ?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good that it works for you, but for me I can pull it out of my pocket flex it so it works again, leave it on my desk all day long, pick it up and its screwed again and it only works well for a minute or two.

It's slowly twisting back out of true while it sits on your desk. The polycarbonate has a "memory" of the shape it needs to be in your pocket and remembers that over time.

When I said correct my pocketing habit, I meant cut it out. It never goes in a trouser pocket any longer. I also slowly and patiently (over a couple days time) twisted it back to true.

I'm now using a full body skin and a carry pouch. There are no issues having it in a breast pocket or a cargo pocket. It's pants pockets and sitting combined that does this. The phone is just big and you have to adjust to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05