tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard anything from Softcard, but I'm using an Amex card I already had. I know from news accounts that the service is supposed to end soon, but, for now, it's still working (in the relatively few places that offer tap to pay).

As long as you have Softcard set up and functioning, I believe you're good through the end of March. That's when Android users will be forced to quit using it. I'm pretty sure it's the same on WP.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Robert Burns, Account ending in XXXXX

Hello Robert Burns,

You may have seen the recent announcement that the Softcard app is being discontinued. We want to assure you there will be no other changes to your American Express Serve Account and that it will continue to work outside of Softcard.
? You can still use your plastic Serve Card in-store or online at the millions of merchants that accept American Express? Cards worldwide.
? Your balance will not be affected and you can continue to manage your Account on your phone with our American Express Serve? Mobile App1, including adding money, paying bills, viewing transactions and more. Download the app for iOS or Android.

? You can continue to enjoy all the features and benefits of your Full Service Prepaid Account, such as free Direct Deposit, free cash withdrawals at over 24,000 MoneyPass? ATMs2 and free online bill pay.

If you have any questions regarding this matter or your Serve Account, please contact us at 1 866 289 2330.

Thanks,
The American Express Serve Team

(1) Data rates may apply.
(2) Transactions at non-MoneyPass? ATMs have a $2 American Express Serve fee. ATM operator fees may also apply. See serve.com/atm for details.

Contact Customer Service
View Our Privacy Statement

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

American Express Serve? is issued by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. American Express Serve Account terms, conditions and fees apply. Please see American Express Serve Consumer User Agreement for complete details.

? 2015 American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Serve.com 4315 S. 2700 W., Salt Lake City, UT 84184-0440

Everyone get this email today?

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Odd part I called that number on the email and I was rudely informed be a female Amex employee that this is about the 2000th time that someone has called about this. And that Softcard is not American express. So she gave me the right number and after a short wait on hold I asked about switch my funds from the "serve" to one of my regular American express cards and after 20 minutes of mumbling and being transferred to 3 different people (who all sounded like the same person) I was told that they couldn't transfer my finds to my Amex cards because Amex will not allow that. So called Amex and was told the same, that the serve cards have the Amex logo but are not real Amex cards and they can't transfer funds from those cards to a real Amex card. We ended up doing a bank transfer to one of my personal banks to retrieve my money.

Only reason I gave up on just keeping the plastic card was why. If I have to carry my wallet anyway, I already have credit cards in there so why would I really need to keep a prepay credit card too. I could have just used the service for the next couple weeks, but I didn't want to buy that much subway, burger king, McDonald's... or waste that much money at the hand full of vendors who excepted tap to pay. .

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that this is simply because the company that was in control of this no longer is and Google only bought it to do their own thing. Softcard literally wouldn't care where the money is coming from... They would just support it.

These companies (Google included) are incredibly short sighted and don't understand that they were built on the backs of Microsoft and it's users. They will learn however.

I was already dedicated to the cause and have held onto my HTC 8X from 2012 and have learned that it doesn't take the latest and greatest software/hardware to have a great user experience(it's nice though), it takes great engineering. And while Microsoft is delivering on features slowly, they are coming through with a stable, reliable OS that I refuse to leave even more so simply because of moves like this.

I'm rambling again but I think my point is clear. Stand fast by WP. We will be rewarded.

If my carrier didn't disable the Wallet I'd be using it by now.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that this is simply because the company that was in control of this no longer is and Google only bought it to do their own thing. Softcard literally wouldn't care where the money is coming from... They would just support it.

These companies (Google included) are incredibly short sighted and don't understand that they were built on the backs of Microsoft and it's users. They will learn however.

I was already dedicated to the cause and have held onto my HTC 8X from 2012 and have learned that it doesn't take the latest and greatest software/hardware to have a great user experience(it's nice though), it takes great engineering. And while Microsoft is delivering on features slowly, they are coming through with a stable, reliable OS that I refuse to leave even more so simply because of moves like this.

I'm rambling again but I think my point is clear. Stand fast by WP. We will be rewarded.

If my carrier didn't disable the Wallet I'd be using it by now.

Over the years Microsoft has been an evil tyrant, and even when being disciplined by the government, they still took their rage out on most smaller companies (Google included).
However, over the years they have seemed to of turned a new leaf, and when any of these companies are in trouble Microsoft is there to help them out, it's just MS may think that the wounds have healed but probably not. Maybe poking the bear enough will get them to wake up and get back to what they can do (well with out being evil and tyrannical this time).

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
And that's exactly why I previously said that PayPal really needs to get into the game. They could easily clobber Apple and Google in this arena.

Right and see in the beginning I was under the impression that Softcard was actually under the umbrella of Amex, and not holding out in their parents garage. (not that anything is wrong with that, because after all that is where Apple started).

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
i really think that we need to get back Microsoft Bob, that was a real winner and could really settle this tap-to-pay deal...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
And that's exactly why I previously said that PayPal really needs to get into the game. They could easily clobber Apple and Google in this arena.
According to PayPal, we can buy stuff in stores with their app? I've never tried it - does it work? I assume the number of merchants that take it is miniscule, but how does it work if it can bypass the whole carrier issue? Does it bypass the issue altogether by making the merchant scan a QR code in the app or something? To me, that seems just as easy as using NFC anyway...

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/pay-in-stores

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQNqYxoer4

So I guess it's no app or phone needed, you just punch in your phone number and your PIN at the terminal. Well that makes it easier. Safer? Don't know about that...

Last edited:

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
although, i kind of like the paypal option to enter just your phone number and your PIN, wouldn't even need to pull out a wallet or phone. but what about security, i know several people i wouldn't trust (family are the worst !) and i would be anxious about them knowing/finding my pin...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

"Like Apple and Samsung's versions, Android Pay will use near-field communications, or NFC, a technology that uses an embedded chip to talk with compatible registers. But unlike Apple and Samsung's services, Android Pay will not be a standalone app, serving instead as the platform for third-party store and payment apps."

So, sort of like Microsoft tried with Wallet?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
"Like Apple and Samsung's versions, Android Pay will use near-field communications, or NFC, a technology that uses an embedded chip to talk with compatible registers. But unlike Apple and Samsung's services, Android Pay will not be a standalone app, serving instead as the platform for third-party store and payment apps."

So, sort of like Microsoft tried with Wallet?

Essentially. But with the carrier backed Softcard now under that umbrella, it will not have nearly as hard a time being accepted as Google or Microsoft Wallet.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss