[htc M8] Having issues with the One?

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
We bought this phone for my daughter to replace her 822, and now she wants to go back to her 822.
Why? She doesn't get calls. Where she goes to school doesn't have great reception, but she got the calls on the 822. She is still having issues with her Xbox music collection. Songs played before and now don't. We imported the SD card, deleted the music and now after re-downloading, some of the songs still don't play.
The live tiles go from perfectly fine to being oversized. There doesn't seem to be a way to get them back either.
Has anybody else had these issues? What did you do to fix? A little frustrated as this is supposed to be a great phone, and now she wants her three year old phone back because it worked better. I am feeling like I should have bought her the Icon instead even with it never getting denim firmware update.
Edit: The live tile size is fine after rebooting the phone, but never had this issue with our lumias.

Last edited:

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Was the phone updated to the latest updates? Or even the Developer Preview? I dont have any of these issues. I never have. I updated my phone immediately. Its one of the first things I do when I get a new phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As far as the reception goes, I know HTC, at least in my case had shaky reception. I used to own mainly HTC(incredible, evo, eris, aria, sensation, radar, 8x, etc etc). I notice my Lumia has better reception than the m8 I use for work this week and if I recall correctly, the 8x too had shaky coverage at times....

Test drive back with the 822 and see how it does and see if it is an HTC thing or a Verizon thing that changed.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, updated as soon as we got the phone. It has done the tile thing since we got it. It's like take a magnifying glass to the screen that you can't remove.
Overall, she's upset now that her new better phone isn't as good. At least I haven't heard complaints about the battery dying all the time.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Is the screen zooming real big when touched? There's a setting for that and can't recall where as I don't have this phone anymore, but if that's the problem it needs to be unchecked. Check settings. Maybe someone chime in with better info. The M8 is an awesome phone and I always thought HTC had great radios. (Good reception).

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Settings -> ease of access -> screen magnifier.

e4d2fc26c5d5d579ef411feaf2357acd.png

I believe this is enabled by default on the phone. Not sure why.

As for the reception issues, can't say I've had them. Reception on this phone is as good if not better than any of my other devices. But I'm on T-Mobile.
I do not use Xbox music, however. So I can't comment on that.

Posted via Tapatalk/M8 Windows

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My HTC has the same or better reception compared to my icon on the VZW network. Not sure what to tell you regarding the music. I don't have that problem either. Perhaps a soft reset would help.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is the screen zooming real big when touched? There's a setting for that and can't recall where as I don't have this phone anymore, but if that's the problem it needs to be unchecked. Check settings. Maybe someone chime in with better info. The M8 is an awesome phone and I always thought HTC had great radios. (Good reception).

HTc has decent radios. Much better than Samsung, from my own experience. But Motorola and Nokia have always proven to be best for me when it comes to radios. It's why I suffered the Motorola Droid for so long and a few other Moto devices, because of their excellent radios:p

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks - I have never had the screen magnifying issue on any of the Lumia phones. So strange to have it on the HTC. The reception issues are frustrating for her. It's not that the calls get dropped, she just doesn't get them. I would say that it is more of the school building's interference than the phone, but she didn't have the issues with the 822 in the same places. She is home for the weekend, so time to dig into the issues. Appreciate the help and feedback!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I have never had the screen magnifying issue on any of the Lumia phones. So strange to have it on the HTC. The reception issues are frustrating for her. It's not that the calls get dropped, she just doesn't get them. I would say that it is more of the school building's interference than the phone, but she didn't have the issues with the 822 in the same places. She is home for the weekend, so time to dig into the issues. Appreciate the help and feedback!

It really could just be the phone has poor reception/signal compared to the Lumia she had originally.

According to a quick bing search, the M8(the android version) appears to have weak(er) radios
Weak Radio? | Verizon HTC One (M8) | XDA Forums
HTC One M8 Texting/Signal Issue - Smartphones - Cell Phone General Discussion

I even found a link for the Windows version
http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-one-m8-windows/307867-weak-cell-signal.html

A. Possibly try putting the phone in airplane mode for like 10-15 seconds and then take it out
B. Have you tried a new Sim card
C. Look in the settings for the network type and see if changing it to another type improves it

If none of those work, then yeah it is most likely definitely the phone(though I sort of already suspect it is).

sushidesu

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
The Xbox music problem is not an HTC things it's a old Xbox music bug. I will suggest back up all the files on SD card and reformat the memory card and before copying data make sure you copy music after windows phone makes the folders again on its own and do check for duplicates and for weird folder names. Surely it's a long method but it will certainly fix the problem

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
HTc has decent radios. Much better than Samsung, from my own experience. But Motorola and Nokia have always proven to be best for me when it comes to radios. It's why I suffered the Motorola Droid for so long and a few other Moto devices, because of their excellent radios:p
Yeah Sams hung is def the worst. I agree tho Moto and Nokia are excellent in the area of RF. Never had an HTC RF problem either. Maybe the OP has a type of case that is interfering with the antenna.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Case is the Dot Matrix for the M8 phones. I always had good reception from my HTC trophy. Trying the suggestion to change the setting from global to LTE, CDMA. Going to try to go by vzw for sim card change.

Manny C

May 2, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine use to have the screen magnifying issue on his Lumia 521, it was odd as it never happened to my then 925. It sounds like most of these problems might just be because of a bad M8. I've never had those problems on my One, recommend a replacement if possible.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh I had that screen magnifying thing happen on my 1520. As well as my HTC one that I had to use this week. If you mean where they get super gigantic and what not. It rarely happens so I don't pay much mind.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this post, I was having similar issues with missing calls. I would get the voicemail notification and be like what the heck I didn't hear it ringing.
I am looking now through the settings and notice "Attentive Phone" that the option for "Quiet ring on pickup" was checked. A more detailed description says "Ring volume decreases when you move your phone". My ringer was set to about 5 and vibrate was turned off so maybe decreases means no sound at all.
There is also "Flip to mute ringer" your phone stops ringing when you turn it over. I have unchecked these two option and tested by having friends call me and this seems to be the issue for me.
Most of the times that I missed calls was because it was in my hands and I was either doing something or just setting it upside down to get back to work.
Anyways I turned them off for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss