Lumia 1520 tempered glass screen protector

qbnkelt

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry if this question has been asked.
I love tempered glass screen protectors so I'd love to know what you guys would suggest. What are you using?
Thanks!!!!
Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Putting a glass screen protector on a Lumia 1520 can be a little weird. The glass of the 1520 is already thicker and it's also curved. This means that with the relatively thick glass screen protectors, there will be a very clear and obvious edge to the screen of the device. That won't just look bad, but also feel terrible.

On top of that the glass screen protectors only protect against scratches. Seeing as the Lumia 1520 has a very solid screen in terms of scratch resistance, many consider it to be obsolete to put on a screen protector for that.

The big risk with a 1520 (due to it's size) is that the screen will crack when you drop it. No screen protector can stop this from happening unfortunately. Especially not the glass ones. Those will just also crack.

If you want to protect a 1520... Get something to put it in, like a sleeve or a case. Or even the special Nokia made CP-623 (though this thing seems to be rather terrible going by the reviews)

qbnkelt

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Ah thanks. I've got this OCD thing about fine scratches from sand or dust. I've got a film on it now but it's coming loose at the edges and looks terrible.
I bought a case with a cover but I find that the flip is an annoyance to have to always hold back especially when on a call.
Thanks for the quick answer!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I also use a glass screen protector and luv it, does not bother me there is a ridge or ledge or raised or whatever... I'm just glad to put something on there to protect my screen.... Infact I like it so much I got a glass screen protector for my SP3

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Awesome. Thank you. Was it easy to apply?

easy peasy, lot easier than those plastic ones...

Just work clean... Like any screen protector application.

Install on the bathroom counter; bathrooms usually have some of the best light in the house in front of the vanity or mirror. Clean and dust your work area. Run the shower full hot for 10-15 minutes to precipitate out dust. Size up just how you want to place the protector before peeling off the backing sheet. Alcohol wipes for everything; the screen, the backing sheet and front of the TG. Dry with a lint free cloth. Inspect carefully to ensure no dust particles remain.

Once you peel the backing, lay the TG screen protector down and it will just suck right to the screen. You may have to run your finger over the TG from top to bottom down the center line to get the adhesion started, but it probably will be automagical. There is no rubbing out bubbles of trapped air with this type of protector. You want to work as dust free as any particle will be visible under the protector and they almost never adhere as well if lifted for a do-over.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Ah thanks. I've got this OCD thing about fine scratches from sand or dust. I've got a film on it now but it's coming loose at the edges and looks terrible.
I bought a case with a cover but I find that the flip is an annoyance to have to always hold back especially when on a call.
Thanks for the quick answer!

Exactly !! For the same reason I don't use Flip Cover.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Putting a glass screen protector on a Lumia 1520 can be a little weird. The glass of the 1520 is already thicker and it's also curved. This means that with the relatively thick glass screen protectors, there will be a very clear and obvious edge to the screen of the device. That won't just look bad, but also feel terrible.

On top of that the glass screen protectors only protect against scratches. Seeing as the Lumia 1520 has a very solid screen in terms of scratch resistance, many consider it to be obsolete to put on a screen protector for that.

The big risk with a 1520 (due to it's size) is that the screen will crack when you drop it. No screen protector can stop this from happening unfortunately. Especially not the glass ones. Those will just also crack.

If you want to protect a 1520... Get something to put it in, like a sleeve or a case. Or even the special Nokia made

That's the point of the TG protectors. That they will crack instead of your phones screen. Then they are easily replaced.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
[/B]
If you want to protect a 1520... Get something to put it in, like a sleeve or a case. Or even the special Nokia made

That's the point of the TG protectors. That they will crack instead of your phones screen. Then they are easily replaced.

Yes and that's complete nonsense, pure marketing talk. The pressure from a drop on a corner or the back of the device will NEVER be stopped by a screen protector. That's physically impossible. But just that is exactly the biggest risk to a 1520. Sure if you drop it on a screen you have a microscopically better chance of having it survive, but because the screen protectors are extremely thin still, they won't help anything for most impacts powerful enough to break a screen.

Glass protectors are a nice story, but they don't do much extra over a normal screen. They are also a little too thin to protect from a good fall on it's screen. It's not the direct impact that cracks a screen on a Lumia but the pressure coming from corners that a screen can't handle.

They are great for scratch resistance, they do scratch easier than Gorilla glass, but at least you can replace them. They are made of the same cheap material iphone screens are made of, and we all know how unbelievably fragile that relatively thick tempered glass turns out to be in real life.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I've never once put a screen protector on, thinking it will protect from a hard impact fall... for me it's just to protect against finger prints and scratches... :wink:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes and that's complete nonsense, pure marketing talk. The pressure from a drop on a corner or the back of the device will NEVER be stopped by a screen protector. That's physically impossible. But just that is exactly the biggest risk to a 1520. Sure if you drop it on a screen you have a microscopically better chance of having it survive, but because the screen protectors are extremely thin still, they won't help anything for most impacts powerful enough to break a screen.

Glass protectors are a nice story, but they don't do much extra over a normal screen. They are also a little too thin to protect from a good fall on it's screen. It's not the direct impact that cracks a screen on a Lumia but the pressure coming from corners that a screen can't handle.

They are great for scratch resistance, they do scratch easier than Gorilla glass, but at least you can replace them. They are made of the same cheap material iphone screens are made of, and we all know how unbelievably fragile that relatively thick tempered glass turns out to be in real life.

Well, you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

ordas

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I?ve tried several TG, from China and the US, Germany. The "ring" will always be there and it affects the quality, you effectively have less space, the edges will be blurry every time. For me, this was a tradeoff far too big, so I am sticking with the original Nokia flip case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos