Lumia 920 - slow - hard reset needed? Selective restore of backup possible?

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, My lumia 920 is getting v.slow. Plenty of space on it but animations etc are jerky and apps take a few seconds to load. Also, bizarrely, it's now refusing to send texts.

In short, I'm thinking a hard reset might be the solution.

Quick questions:
1) I'd rather not hard reset - due to time it will take me to get back to where I am. Any other suggestions?
2) If I do hard reset, then I should probably avoid doing a restore. But I'd *really* like to restore texts/SMS. Is this possible?

Thanks for help!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What you should first try is if a soft reset wouldn't possibly solve this issue. If not, you can still perform the hard reset. Restoring everything won't be an issue, trust me.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Soft reset tried - it makes no difference.

I think you misunderstand my question about restoring. I've hard reset my phones numerous times and successfully restored it. However, this time I ONLY want to restore SMS - and NOT the apps and other settings. Is this possible, do you know?

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
That's quite a smart idea. Thanks. Anybody got confirmation that this will actually work?

My only thought is that removing existing backups will remove my current SMS backup... And the rebacking up will only do it from that point at which the backup is switched on again? Or am I misunderstanding you?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's quite a smart idea. Thanks. Anybody got confirmation that this will actually work?

My only thought is that removing existing backups will remove my current SMS backup... Or am I misunderstanding you?

It will remove the existing backup with everything that was included. But if you're still having all these messages on your device, it won't be a problem, as they'll be added to the new backup.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
OK. For the record, I've:
1 switched off app/settings backup.
2 Nuked the existing backup.
3 Switched on settings backup
4 Rebacked up.

SMS backup has been left on throughout.

Am about to pull the trigger on a hard reset .... Anyone see any flaws in this plan? I will be upsetto lose SMS conversations.... (tho' I'll live!)

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
4 Rebacked up.

Am about to pull the trigger on a hard reset .... Anyone see any flaws in this plan? I will be upsetto lose SMS conversations.... (tho' I'll live!)

Search these forums, if I remember correctly there's even a way to access your SMS online. I definitely remember having seen a thread about that.
Other than that, sounds good to me. Flick the switch. :)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
4 Rebacked up.

This will work but it could have been done more "easy".
The sms back up is not connected/related to apps or setting back up or clean/restore.

See also below.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/back-up-my-stuff

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
How bizarre is this? Was just about to flick the switch when I noticed... erm... post deleting the old backup, the phone is suddenly a lot faster. Not sure whether it's back to its old level of speed - will need to compare to another 920 which I can do in a day or two.

This would indicate that some aspect of backup is slowing the phone down. OR... hold on, I did ONE other thing while fiddling: I deleted the Cortana live tile... Quick google suggests THIS might be the cause of my issue. See: Try this if you are experiencing lag on Windows Phone 8.1 | WindowsObserver.com

Will monitor and report back later. in the meantime, thanks to all for help on this issue.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Can confirm. 920 back to old speeds. Looks like cortana live tile may well have been the issue for me.

Just did a quick soft reset for good measure and received a whole bunch of SMS (plus all others sending now, too).

Thanks again, all.

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Search these forums, if I remember correctly there's even a way to access your SMS online. I definitely remember having seen a thread about that.
Other than that, sounds good to me. Flick the switch. :)

Yes, there is a way to view your text messages on-line through Outlook.com. You sign into Outlook.com using your Windows ID that you are logged into on your phone and then on the left-side of the screen towards the bottom, click "Contacts" (should be under the header "Categories"). This will show you your text and Skype messages between others.

Having said that, though, it is probably one of the worst ways of displaying your previous text messages between people. There's no "condensed" list, there's just random bits and they're kind of shown as what an e-mail looks like. I am really hoping Windows 10 has a better method of displaying text conversations in the future...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett