Should I get Lumia 1520 despite its issues?

Ahmed Monged

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
So here is the thing, I have been searching for a new phone for a month since I am updating in 4 months, and I have been looking for a suitable handset ever since, and because my whole family use android, obviously it was my first option, however I have grown sick and bored of android's skin (iphone is no exception) and it's occasion lags, hence why I looked up for an alternative and i found windows ( In my country we know little to nothing of wp, only exception is desktops/laptops. WP caught my attention with the life tiles and cortana. I am aware of the lack of apps on the store and that made no difference to me, thus I decided to try wp as my primary phone and started to find a suitable one for me, unfortunately there were many choices since I was looking for a flagahip and the 930 was a big no for me because of the poor battery so my only other choice was the 1520. I liked everything about it,even the size since I was looking for a 5.5" : 6" phone, so i started to do a research about it but I found a lot of problems concerning the 1520 , and obvioualy no one would want to pay 500$+ and have problems every now and then and waiting till the end of thia year is not a choice for me either since the phone I am using is about to die. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advanced. ;-)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
What problems exactly? The "phantom" touch issue can be easily solved by setting up kids corner and that's the major issue I've seen discussed here

Ahmed Monged

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I have heard of over heating issue, tap/swap issue, screen freezing issue, screen over sensitivity issuead random reboots issues. Not sure if they all are true, but that is what i found during searching. :p

Bojan Malinovic

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
As owner of 1520 must say that I dont have any issues with it. Had issue with tap to wake but one of updates fixed it. U have to take one thing in consideration and that is that every phone whether 1520 or iPhone or any other can have hardware issues, no phone is resistant.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe the only "real" and widespread issues are those with the screen. It's a large display, and I think when people don't treat it with care and it ends up flexing, touch issues can rear their head. I have a green AT&T 1520 that I bought used, and I do occasionally have a touch issue here and there... for example, in the keyboard using WordFlow I will get an extra character before my word because it interpreted me lifting my finger when I didn't.

I believe the others are people with an outlying issues (normal defect rates) or people being too sensitive (you will ALWAYS find people saying their phone it's overheating... they don't seem to understand that fast electronics are supposed to heat up a bit when they work hard).

I can definitely say the 1520 is a great phone. A bit too large for me, but that's personal taste.

That said, if you're waiting 4 months anyway, I would definitely wait and see what Microsoft is planning to release with Windows 10. You may have to wait another 3-4 months, but it should be a better option.

Ahmed Monged

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I believe the only "real" and widespread issues are those with the screen. It's a large display, and I think when people don't treat it with care and it ends up flexing, touch issues can rear their head. I have a green AT&T 1520 that I bought used, and I do occasionally have a touch issue here and there... for example, in the keyboard using WordFlow I will get an extra character before my word because it interpreted me lifting my finger when I didn't.

I believe the others are people with an outlying issues (normal defect rates) or people being too sensitive (you will ALWAYS find people saying their phone it's overheating... they don't seem to understand that fast electronics are supposed to heat up a bit when they work hard).

I can definitely say the 1520 is a great phone. A bit too large for me, but that's personal taste.

That said, if you're waiting 4 months anyway, I would definitely wait and see what Microsoft is planning to release with Windows 10. You may have to wait another 3-4 months, but it should be a better option.

Thanks everyone, I will probablt wait and see what comes with Win10 first. :-D

hurkanasmaci

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
As a year long lumia 1520 user i would say there are no problems with the 1520...except i had the tap/swipe issue for a time, but it is solved. You won't have any issues with your Lumia unless it's a defected device. On the other hand, your way of using your phone is the cause of most of the problems. I for example, use my phone too much. I'm a extremely heavy user, the longest time which I don't use the phone is like 10-15 mins max. As a result my battery is drained a lot faster than the others. And I mean, A LOT. Usually I charge my phone twice or more in a single day. But like I said, it's because I use my 1520 EXTREMELY HEAVY. If you are a moderate to heavy user, your phone should carry you through 2 days easily. Everything put aside, 1520 is a gorgeous, huge (in a good way), awesome phone.

Ahmed Monged

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Was it solved by updating it with denim? I am asking thid because some say denim fixes their problems and some.say other wise. And what do you mean exactly by a defected device? And is it possible to detect it before buying (by light usage on the store before purchasing the phone.

hurkanasmaci

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't got the denim update yet, because I use a CV Rm-927 Hong Kong manufactured model. But it was solved with the 8.1 cyan update. And by defected I mean a device which is defected while being manufactured. And if you have a warranty, you can buy and use it for a time and If it is detected and you warranty is still void you can change it.

Ahmed Monged

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't got the denim update yet, because I use a CV Rm-927 Hong Kong manufactured model. But it was solved with the 8.1 cyan update. And by defected I mean a device which is defected while being manufactured. And if you have a warranty, you can buy and use it for a time
and If it is detected and you warranty is still void you can change it.

Oh, I checked updates for 1520 in my.country and it was like Hong Kong as well, no denim but thereis cyan. I will keep that in mind and try to get one with warranty in case anything accures. Thanks bro

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I think i have a defective set, i have screen brighness issue on the right side of the screen when at very low levels, and my bluetooth doesnt auto connect to my car.
But otherwise the phone is just a little too heavy, i wish it was under 200 grams.

Consider this, this is the first phone since the N9 that i have kept for more than 6 months.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The 1520 has no major issues that any other device couldn't have. All phones have some bugs, nit everyone experiences them.

If you need a Lumia NOW, I can't see why not getting a 1520. It's a beautiful device. Had mine for 6 months and it runs like the day I got it. That huge battery is AWESOME!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss