Have to turn off/on phone each time change SIM

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Every time I want to change SIM, I have to change SIM, then turn phone off and on again for it to recognise new SIM. Is this normal?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It is normal to switch off a phone if you want to chance a SIM.
A "hot" swap is not recommended because you could damage something during the changing of the SIM.
So your question can not really be answered because you use a wrong method.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^that's overexaggerating. Whether a device is on or off should not affect the physical process of changing a SIM. iOS has SIM hot swap since v7 and this need to be implemented in W10.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Changing a SIM is however not only physical. And windows phone has no hot swap. Damaging also means shorting so possible "mess up" the software or introduce a "ESD" spike which physically may damage components.
So if you do something which is "against" the instruction than don't expect that it always works.

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
^that's overexaggerating. Whether a device is on or off should not affect the physical process of changing a SIM. iOS has SIM hot swap since v7 and this need to be implemented in W10.

I am not sure if my memory is wrong but recall I can hot swap SIM with 830 before. Weird.

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Changing a SIM is however not only physical. And windows phone has no hot swap. Damaging also means shorting so possible "mess up" the software.
So if you do something which is "against" the instruction than don't expect that it always works.

TBH, I don't think this is strong excuse, iOS can do this from long time ago

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
TBH, I don't think this is strong excuse, iOS can do this from long time ago

But fact is that it's in all window phone manuals that you should switch of the device if you change a SIM.
But of course you can think what you want and do what you want and compare what you want.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Let's look at it in dollars and cents. I paid a lot of money for my phone. I need and want it to last a long time. I put it in a case and then put a screen protector on. After doing all of this to protect my investment do you think I'm going to save a couple of minutes just to change a SIM card. A card that slides into a tight space; that makes contact with gold plated contacts to make it operate at it's best.

Just to save a couple of minutes to keep problems that might happen to a minimum. You can if you want to but I'm doing what my common sense tells me to that offers the most safety. Remember "Murphy's Law?'

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I would never hot swap a SIM.

If you need to change SIMs that often that powering down first and booting up after is an issue; you really should get yourself a dual SIM model.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05