Bought a second hand 930?

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 930 yesterday, it was advertised as 4 weeks old, light use. I looked at the lifetime timer and it has 45 hours on it, now to me that doesn't seem like light use, how many of us talk for more than 1hr per day on the phone? I know myself I am a light user, I maybe use it about 5-10mins per day.

Do you think I've been done?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm an average user and I'll get 2-3 hours of daily usage out of it... Just from emails and text messages. I don't change nor do I push my devices to the limit.... ;)

sent from my Nokia Lumia 930

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I feel like your answer lies in the person you bought it from. For all you know, they could've fallen asleep on voicemail or literally wanted their moneys' and experience worth and DID talk 45 hours....

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm an average user and I'll get 2-3 hours of daily usage out of it... Just from emails and text messages. I don't change nor do I push my devices to the limit.... ;)

sent from my Nokia Lumia 930

The lifetime timer does phone calls only, not how much you use the phone for anything else.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The lifetime timer does phone calls only, not how much you use the phone for anything else.

Oh really? In that case I don't know! I try to use my phone calls as little as possible... I hate talking to people.

In any case. If you're not satisfied, return it. There will be other fish in the sea. 😉 ;)

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
No I don't think you've been done, because one way or another you have managed to get yourself a 'nearly new' 930. So congratulations on that. And so long as the phone works as it should, I would think that you wont regret getting it. (Ok lets give Mr Phone Seller the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he had a close friend/relative die, and was left to notify everyone and arrange the funeral and so forth .... but perhaps under normal circumstances made hardly any calls.) As the proud owner of a lovely 930, my first concern would be checking out to see if it had any of the known issues like purple hue and overheating.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, it just means to me that the person talked a lot.

If the phone still is in great condition and handles well, I don't think you have enough to believe you've been had.

Of course, I once bought a Palm Tungsten T3 labeled as "good" where it turned out to smell of cigarette smoke and have a battery life of a whopping 10 minutes. (thankfully I whipped it into shape later)
Unless something major comes up, I think you should just enjoy the phone. :)

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
1 hr a day? Geez, my business would go under if I wasn't on the phone 3-4 hours a day.

Honestly - you need to find something else to worry about.

danghung

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a 2nd 930 last week, it has a warranty till 25/11/2014. And the life timer has only 5h. How did they call about 45hours with that phone?

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's probably worth considering that one hour a day is twenty eight hours in four weeks, which isn't that much less than the quoted time based on a day by day figure (less than two hours a day).

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
That works out to 11 ? hours a week. That is plausible. This guy may run a business or more then likely have a family with kids and as he had a good data plan problerly said "use my phone to save your credit" I really wouldn't worry about it at all

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to check when the warranty is up? I came across a Microsoft site where you enter IMEI but all that says is IN WARRANTY, not like Apple where it tells you when the warranty is up

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Is there anyway to check when the warranty is up? I came across a Microsoft site where you enter IMEI but all that says is IN WARRANTY, not like Apple where it tells you when the warranty is up

Yes, but than you need the receipt. The counting starts fro the day you bought it. But I guess you do not have it because you bought it second hand.

Bye the way were could you see the live time counter in your 930. I can not find it in my 930 but I would like to.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I sent a 1520 to Nokia for warranty work, and they sent it back untouched because I didn't have a receipt proving that I was the original owner.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Just checked my warranty status. I bought my 930 on eBay from a buyer who had received an upgrade from Nokia. It came sealed in a brown Nokia box. The warranty status says 'out of warranty'. I'm not expecting a warranty because I bought it from other than a retail store, but since the 930 was only released around August 2014 and is thus much less than a year old, how can it not have a warranty?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
how can it not have a warranty?

Probably for the same reason as my Surface Pro 2, New Old Stock (NOS) I recently purchased new online in the US. It was an Asia Pacific model that shows Russia, New Zealand, Australia and Asia Support phone numbers in the "Activated" page. It activated OK, but I cannot get the Drive Image for it as it shows "Server unavailable from this location"

It shows my free 12-months of Tech Support as "Expired" The Warranty shows as April 2015, but any attempt to contact msoft using the Serial Number elicits a 'No longer supported" response.

Seems to me to be a country of origin thing. I am guessing that if someone physically in Asia, Russia, Australia, New Zealand etc., were to check using this serial number it would work until April this year.

However, like you, I am very happy with the NOS-SP2 and it is working just fine so I can live with the no-warranty status for the reason you outline. My guess is since the Nokia warranty is now a msoft thing, they are applying the same rules to it. BUT, interesting to know as I am trying to find a good vendor for a 930 as well and the ones I have found are all sourced out of Asia and "no Warranty" stated by the vendors.

Just guess mind you. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried the Nokia care app?

Yes, but than you need the receipt. The counting starts fro the day you bought it. But I guess you do not have it because you bought it second hand.

Bye the way were could you see the live time counter in your 930. I can not find it in my 930 but I would like to.

Have you tried the network + settings app?

Not sure how accurate it is, it displays 491:26:23 on mine... lol.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to find a good vendor for a 930 as well and the ones I have found are all sourced out of Asia and "no Warranty" stated by the vendors

I bought mine from a UK seller on ebay, he described it as a Nokia upgrade and it's clearly brand new. For ?245 it was an absolute bargain. I took a risk, expecting problems but was very pleasantly surprised when I got it. Fab phone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo