What are your likes and dislikes of the Lumia 635?

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: [L635] Calling all Nokia lovers

I hear a lot about the 512MB "issue". What I can say is I've owned a 635 for about 7 months now and have not had any problems running any of the apps that I use. There likely are conditions where this would be a problem, but I've never run into them. Bottom line: I'm very satisfied with the 635.
I have used the lumia 521 in the past and that phone keeps bringing up a resuming message. From what I understand it is because of a lack of memory. I am sure the lumia 635 behaves the same. It is just too slow for me. I want things to be at least near instant like it is on Android. One reason why I hated webOS.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since getting my Surface Pro 3 over the holidays I've been thinking of making the switch to Windows phone from android to keep everything on one platform. The other day I saw that E-Bay was selling the 520 for $30.00 so I ordered it then someone here told me about the 635 since I was thinking of trying Win10TP. Last night I went to Best Buy and picked one up for $40.00 (I had a $10.00 BB coupon). This is going to give me an inexpensive way to see if I'm going to be happy with Windows phone & Windows 10.

Setting up the device and installing Win10TP went very smooth. Just like when I switched from BlackBerry to Android 2 years ago it will take a little getting used to the differences. I don't expect any real surprises.

Over the next few days I will install the apps I use on a daily basis and see how they perform on Windows. One app I am pleasantly surprised with is Evernote. I use this several times a day at work and it's actually better on Windows then Android, at least for me. On the 635 I actually see a preview of the PDF file whereas on Android I didn't, I just saw the file name.

The only downside for me is the size. Coming from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (5.5") there is a bit of a size difference. But if I stick with Windows phone this won't be my main device. I think once Windows 10 is released we will see some great new devices.

I'm looking forward to putting this device/OS to work.

ADDED: I wish the power button was on the top or the left side. Being left handed I hold the phone in my right hand and use my left so I wind up hitting the power button occasionally.

Last edited:

huungryshark

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

635 is a nice device, love the size nearly same as my BlackBerry Z10 :)

Paid 90 Euro new, unlocked in germany

No joy downloading W10 preview though, it's somehow not available here in germany

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
As unlocked phone, 635 is overpriced. OS aside, Moto G gen 2 gives more hardware for same money.
For $120 unlocked it would be a great buy. So hungryshark got a good deal.
For $179, as it is priced now in US, I'd expect it to have 2Mp frontcam plus LED flash for the back one.

But most of people get it with contract anyway.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 635 User Reviews

I am also on the hunt for a cheap Windows phone and I was thinking the Blu or the 635.. I guy at work has the Blu and loves it... This is strictly a fool around phone. I want to put it on Net 10 as the reception is great in my building.... I do love that the Blu is made in America.... so many First world problems..... LOL

I don't think BLU are made in the USA, I believe they are "white label" devices that are made in China, etc, and BLU just puts their name on them. Terrible software also.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
As unlocked phone, 635 is overpriced. OS aside, Moto G gen 2 gives more hardware for same money.
For $179, as it is priced now in US, I'd expect it to have 2Mp frontcam plus LED flash for the back one.

Most people would get it locked. Like the tmobile variant is 79 on Amazon and tmobile always supply the unlock code. I don't ever use the front camera on phones.

Last edited:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I don't think anybody at this point is buying a 635 under contract. It's an entry level pay as you go phone that is 40 or 50 bucks out the door.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

I am pretty sure he meant carrier lock and not contract. No carrier is selling this phone with a contract. I wonder why the T-Mobile variant is 79 compared to 50 for Att.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I am pretty sure he meant carrier lock and not contract. No carrier is selling this phone with a contract. I wonder why the T-Mobile variant is 79 compared to 50 for Att.

I think tmobile always shafts you a little up front as their phone plans are a little cheaper. Plus they need extra money for the upcoming spectrum auction. And yes, tmo sells it under "contract"

Nico Dekker

Feb 23, 2008
Visit site

Not sure about availability but the Lumia 535 offers better value for the money compared to the 635. Price in the Netherlands is about 109 euro.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

I think tmobile always shafts you a little up front as their phone plans are a little cheaper. Plus they need extra money for the upcoming spectrum auction. And yes, tmo sells it under "contract"
T-Mobile don't even have contacts anymore.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

That's a payment plan for the phone. If you don't want to pay monthly then pay $100 up front or buy it on Amazon for $80. They are allowing you to buy the phone on credit. It isn't a service contract.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

That's a payment plan for the phone. If you don't want to pay monthly then pay all up front. They are allowing you to buy the phone on credit. It isn't a service contract.

Call it what you want, it's an agreement you sign and it's cheaper at amazon by 20 bucks. Here is the 635 under contract at att...Smartphones - AT&T has a Smartphone for Every Budget

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Most people would get it locked. Like the tmobile variant is 79 on Amazon and tmobile always supply the unlock code. I don't ever use the front camera on phones.
T-mo only issues unlock code after some terms are met. Don't remember details, must be easily googled - a few months spent on the network, some money spent on the plan, all this. I was last reading it when unlocking my 521. Terms are reasonable, but it is not like you can get unlock code whenever you want.
My point is $179 for factory unlocked 635 is not very attractive.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
T-mo only issues unlock code after some terms are met. Don't remember details, must be easily googled - a few months spent on the network, some money spent on the plan, all this. I was last reading it when unlocking my 521. Terms are reasonable, but it is not like you can get unlock code whenever you want.
My point is $179 for factory unlocked 635 is not very attractive.

Please explain why it needs to be unlocked? For many of us there are cheap carrier knock-offs such as cricket, simple mobile, boost, etc that a locked 635 works great on.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

Call it what you want, it's an agreement you sign and it's cheaper at amazon by 20 bucks. Here is the 635 under contract at att...Smartphones - AT&T has a Smartphone for Every Budget

I am done. The phone is sold with a payment plan for those that don't want to pay the full price upfront or can't afford it. If you cancel service all you owe is the balance on the phone.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Please explain why it needs to be unlocked? For many of us there are cheap carrier knock-offs such as cricket, simple mobile, boost, etc that a locked 635 works great on.
It is different question for different thread. Some people, including me, prefer unlocked. Reasons may vary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster