Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I think this can easily be it's own thread when it comes to GPS NAV on Windows Phones and tablets as I am very interested and been doing for a long time.

I can suggest you can trial Copilot. Slightly off from your Question PuckCowboy but I have noticed my self that Windows location seems to have issues with three sources GPS sensor, WIFI and cellular seem to fight each other. Seems that you can get different results if you have WIFI off or airplane mode on forcing Windows to use GPS really affects the performance of the App following your car. I know some of you also use Android and IOS along with Windows. I have never used those platforms but wonder if they have the same issues? I have read many threads on this subject and it does not seem to matter if it is Samsung, Nokia or HTC. It seems that Windows is the common thread. If this needs to be on it's own thread I apologize.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok, in response to my own question, I learned through a little research that HERE Maps / Drive have essentially been replaced by Windows Maps. Would that be correct?

I also installed Maps+ on my device (which I had on 8.1) and it looks like both are somewhat similar, although it looks like Maps+ uses Google services for some features.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which, if either, is the best replacement for HERE Maps & Drive?

(Also would love a good replacement for City Lens and Transit if possible. Or are they incorporated into Windows Maps as well?)

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

GPS voice navigation

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
GPS voice navigation

After some research and a few suggestions, I tried out the native Windows Maps app and it is almost a clone of HERE Maps & HERE Drive combined. It does everything I want, so I'm just going to stick with it.

Thanks for everyone's help. Minus a few glitchy things, I'm actually liking WM10 even more than 8.1 than I thought I would based on all the negative things I've read on the boards.

I think the only thing I'm missing at the moment is a bit of the FB integration in the contacts and the way you could tell Cortana to play specific genres, albums, and songs. Right now, I can only get her to shuffle my entire collection. All other commands produce Bing searches.

Last edited:

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what happened but...some time after .36
All my non built in apps (possibly all non universal apps) stopped working. It would just go to blank black screen. One by one (not a ton of apps) I would uninstall and reinstall and all would be good. Probably should have done hard reset after the .36 but have not yet.
Thanks
Bill

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I think my new policy will be to always do hard reset after update. This time I thought it was a minor update and decided to be lazy. If you call side loading a root tool to get the update lazy. Hoping for the best.

Thanks
Bill

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
So I just noticed I'm unable to tether my with my ATIV SE on WM 10 but had no issues doing so on 8.1. I'm on Verizon and have made no changes to my account, but I'm getting an error code that says "call 611 or go to VerizonWireless.com to activate the feature." Any and all help is truly appreciated!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the only thing I'm missing at the moment is a bit of the FB integration in the contacts
A Facebook quirk if I ever saw one. You need to go to settings in the FB app and allow it to sync your contacts. Then you need to make sure FB is checked in the People settings (Filter contact list). I had to do this same procedure on an Android phone (Note 4) recently as well so it's not a Windows thing.

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I've been running .36 since around the day it came out and never did a hard reset. I did use the zombie reg editor to change the manufacturer and model back to their appropriate values, and other than a couple small bugs, things were going well. My battery life even seemed to be at least as good as it was with 8.1.

Until around 1/1/2016...when my battery life went to crap. I went to bed last night with a full charge and was at 50% when I woke up 6 hours later. Yesterday I had charged overnight so I started full and was at critical before I left my office. Not a whole lot of use, since I sit at a computer all day.

This morning I've also noticed a lot more interference noise out of my PC speaker that sits about a foot from my phone. it's been going almost constant now for 30 minutes and I haven't touched the phone. Whatever it's doing is probably what's draining the battery.

Around the same time the live tile for the MSN Money app hasn't worked. So no more at-a-glance updates on the DJIA.

Other bugs: WiFi settings crashes, haven't been able to get into it even once. Camera locks up when i tap the capture button while the flash is activated (either flash on or flash auto in a dark environment). I use the ATIV Camera app to take photos with flash. Oddly enough I've had no issues with any of the apps I've installed.

EDIT: Late last week I turned my phone off and it wouldn't restart until I pulled the battery. After that, my battery life has been back to normal and my MSN Money live tile is working again. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Last edited:

Techru

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
How could we notice better battery on something that just came out and got loaded? Give it time so people can see if it is worth mentioning. For the few hours I have been running things, no noticeable changes, but I have never had battery issues on any of the builds.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an issue getting the latest build (x.63) When I go to Windows Insider, i keep getting the "Server Error" message saying it can't connect to the server. Anyone know how to fix this or get around this?

Looking like I may be going back to 8.1 as well. Having some issues with a few apps, network connection dropping out, and the biggest thing is I can't get Tether to work. Any info on how to get the latest WM10 Insider Mobile Build on my phone is truly appreciated!

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well if u have the 10 already build all u need to do is change the manufacturer and model name to the Nokia icon (rm-975 I think) and it shud update without an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077