Another 930 vs 830 thread

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I currently have a 930 and my company is moving me over to a corporate contract, which means I will be getting a new phone (only Lumia options).

So I can either get another 930 and just keep it as a spare or try an 830...

Been through the forums and read a couple of comparative reviews. The reviews don't really paint the 830 well, in relation to the 930.

Initially I thought the 830 was received quite well on the forums but lately it seems the tone has changed somewhat with random reboot\ WiFi issues rearing their heads.

Cant say that i regret the 930, seems to have gotten better with time. Couldn't be bothered with replaceable batteries or expandable memory (music streaming \ OneDrive for photos). Just like the look of the 830 over the 930.

For the guys that have used both devices, what are your thoughts?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Waylon, your assessment more-or-less sums it up. The 830 has to be the most aesthetically appealing smartphone on the market (Windows Phone or otherwise), though the 930 is probably a close second. That was the main draw for me as well, coming from a 1520.

My feelings for the device went from very warm to lukewarm. It's undoubtedly beautiful and has every feature you want from a WP device, from Glance, to exchangeable shells, removable battery, solid camera with OIS, wireless charging, and expandable storage. It also adds LTE connectivity for those of us in the United States that didn't get a regional unlocked version of the 930 like we did the 1520.

In a number of ways, it definitely beats the 930, but for me (and several others, it would appear), it's crippled by unstable firmware that automatically reboots the phone without rhyme or reason. Some say that's alleviated after the Denim update. But then again, we all thought we were getting the full Denim update out-of-the-box, only to find out we were misled.

In short, if there was an unlocked, LTE-compatible version of the 930 here in the U.S. I'd strongly consider replacing my 830 with it (even though the 930 has a few widespread hardware issues of its own). I love Glance, and rely on it heavily. I love being able to change my phone's color whenever I want. Expandable storage isn't a huge deal to me but that's convenient too. However, if a fix for this rebooting issue doesn't arrive very soon, I'm personally ditching this thing. I've been patient long enough (going on 5 months).

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Been through the forums and read a couple of comparative reviews. The reviews don't really paint the 830 well, in relation to the 930.

Initially I thought the 830 was received quite well on the forums but lately it seems the tone has changed somewhat with random reboot\ WiFi issues rearing their heads.
I've had my RM-985 830 (using on T-Mobile U.S.) going on 2 months and I've had ZERO issues with this phone. No random reboots, no WiFi issues, no Bluetooth issues, etc.... My phone has been performing flawlessly. Just wanted to pass that along ;-).

Menorca Man

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 830 (unlocked/SIM free) at the end of December having previously used a Lumia 620 and, so far, it has been completely trouble free. The recent over-the-air update to the original Denim firmware went without a hitch and now the Lumia Camera 5 app is fully functional (Rich Capture, Moments etc.).
I most definitely value the microSD slot (can install maps, music, photos, videos and most apps onto it, thereby not encroaching on the 16GB of internal memory), the easily replaceable battery and the IPS display (much more legible in bright Mediterranean sunshine than OLED). In addition, I prefer the look of the 830.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my RM-985 830 (using on T-Mobile U.S.) going on 2 months and I've had ZERO issues with this phone. No random reboots, no WiFi issues, no Bluetooth issues, etc.... My phone has been performing flawlessly. Just wanted to pass that along ;-).

Do you mind my asking where you got your phone from? I'm curious whether it's an RM-985 with the LAM ROM or the variant with the NAM ROM.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the unlocked 930 on tmobile a word of advice is to take the complaints of the 830 with a grain of salt. I am sure that there are a lot of owners out there that may not have any issues. Those are the people that don't speak up often. I was scared of the 930 when I bought due to all the issues I read, it I was relieved since I didn't run into any problems at all. As for the 830, I would try to get the phone due to the swappable battery and microsd card.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had both, and still have the 830. I sent the 930 back with the "typical" problems they seem to have.
I have also tried, the 735, 925, 1020 and 1520 and none suited my needs.
I've had the 830 for a few months now, however it's been sitting in it's box on the shelf for a few weeks now.
Ask my what Nokia I'm using now and it's perfect :p.

A new 920. "Old" hardware and all.
It runs circles around the 830, easier to hold, much more responsive screen, doesn't get hot at all, never resets or acts weird in any way.
I've very happy with it, even comparing it to the 730, 925, 930, 1020 and 1520 :)

Fred

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
A new 920. "Old" hardware and all.
It runs circles around the 830, easier to hold, much more responsive screen, doesn't get hot at all, never resets or acts weird in any way.
I've very happy with it, even comparing it to the 730, 925, 930, 1020 and 1520 :)

Fred

My experience of the 920 was that it got hot very quickly, especially when charging. The phone was also way too heavy for me to hold comfortably in one hand, and the battery life went from ok to rubbish in only 6 months.

Currently using a Lumia 830 with no real issues.

This just proves that everybody has different needs :)

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yup, the 920 is heavier, but I like it's feel (rounded corners and back) much better than the "new" generation of "square" Nokia's.
To me, even though heavier (better build feel to me), the 920 is easier for me to hold and use, ine handed especially, than my 830 (same goes for the 930).

My battery life on the 920 is ok, not a whole lot worse than the 830 and I've used them both for a few days side by side.
The 920 is much more responsive.

:)
Fred

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Think I'm gonna just get another 930 and convert a family member with my current 930.

Happy with my current 930, wish there was a successor available though.

In terms of the older Lumia's, I've always preferred the look of the colourful polycarbonate devices. Think they had more character.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My experience of the 920 was that it got hot very quickly, especially when charging. The phone was also way too heavy for me to hold comfortably in one hand, and the battery life went from ok to rubbish in only 6 months.

Currently using a Lumia 830 with no real issues.

This just proves that everybody has different needs :)

Same here... bad battery life and very quick to heat up. Loved the phone for its time, but wouldn't go back to it unless I had to. At least it was stable though... no random reboots like so many 830s.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If we go through the forums we can find faults with the 830 and 930 (Trust me I've seen enough). If you have any problems, simply return the device :) Make sure you check the phone thoroughly as long as it's under warranty

furkanavshar

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I've used both, and I should say L830 is more seamless, more stable, the best. Also Lumia 830 is the smoothest device in the Lumia ecosystem. There is no touch screen issues, no purple tint issues, no heat issues, no fast battery drain...
You can use light theme on 830 (IPS LCD), but not on 930 because of AMOLED. Glance and expandable memory is the deal breaker thing for me.
So go for 830, dude. I did.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little late to this, but I have an 830 and a 1520. I have had no issues with my 830, and like it quite a bit. one really big factor(for me) is for some reason office lens can only take 5mp pictures on the 1520/930, while the 830 can take 10mp picture. this is great when you need to recreate a document from a photo, and need to make sure the OCR is going to have a really good resolution to find text and be readible.
however, if I were in your place choosing between a 830 and a 930, I would think there is too much overlap between. same screen size, roughly the same size physical size, etc. I would personally go for a 1520 if available, since that gives you a larger screen option, micro SD expandablilty, and a whole different experience then either the 830/930 will allow.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little late to this, but I have an 830 and a 1520. I have had no issues with my 830, and like it quite a bit. one really big factor(for me) is for some reason office lens can only take 5mp pictures on the 1520/930, while the 830 can take 10mp picture. this is great when you need to recreate a document from a photo, and need to make sure the OCR is going to have a really good resolution to find text and be readible.
however, if I were in your place choosing between a 830 and a 930, I would think there is too much overlap between. same screen size, roughly the same size physical size, etc. I would personally go for a 1520 if available, since that gives you a larger screen option, micro SD expandablilty, and a whole different experience then either the 830/930 will allow.

Unfortunately our carrier here in South Africa no longer stocks the 1520, that definitely would've been an option though if it was still available.

The main reason that I'm against the 830 is performance.

I've seen how long rich capture can take to process a photo on the 930 (if you wanna change the hdr settings right after taking a shot). I imagine that its way worse on the 830.

I'm also not sure I wanna carry around a snapdragon 400 for the next two years as updates will only get more demanding.

Having owned the 930 for about 5 months now the only compelling advantage the 830 holds for me is the design and weight.

Heat used to be an issue (when using gps sometimes) and also battery drain. Nowadays I have about 40% available when I go to bed after using the device heavily between 5am and 11pm (that beats the pants off my old 5s).

Only after now switching to the uk's firmware (to get denim) am I noticing some minor green hue on the display when the screen dims. Didn't have the issue on my carriers firmware, so I know that the screen issues are not hardware related.

PS

After denim, I'm absolutely amazed at the shots I'm taking on the 930. Cant believe they're coming from a phone.

Last edited:

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
While I'm pretty confident the 830 will hold up fine over the next two years (I'm counting on that), I think you made the right choice for you.

While everyone's sensitivity to performance is different, I'm guessing the decrease in performance going from the 930 to 830 would have been unacceptable for you. I've read reports from others where they didn't really notice much difference, while others see it as night and day....

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
While I'm pretty confident the 830 will hold up fine over the next two years (I'm counting on that), I think you made the right choice for you.

While everyone's sensitivity to performance is different, I'm guessing the decrease in performance going from the 930 to 830 would have been unacceptable for you. I've read reports from others where they didn't really notice much difference, while others see it as night and day....

Yeah, not much of a gamer. Just not sure about rich capture on the 830. Haven't seen any videos of if yet.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720