New camera: after update

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one that's not really seeing the new camera as being faster? Sure it initiates faster, but just the talking of pictures there still is just as much lag if not more. Even with live images turned off it feels like the camera has a hard time focusing and it wants to have a couple seconds before the capture. Well not really a couple seconds, but moments, and it's very noticeable.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok I just spent some time playing with Lumina camera classic, yes I notice a big difference when using the two different cameras on the same image. Oh well, it's not that bad just annoying. The time saved from the opening of the camera is lost with the shutter lag...

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Really why would I want to, everything else is perfectly fine. I really do not think that it's my phone or a problem from the download or install or a software program at all. The new camera just feels very slightly slower compared to the old. There is more shutter lag then what was before.
The new camera is still with in an acceptable range. It just takes time to get adjusted.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any lag, maybe soft reset. Mine takes pics as fast as i tap the button now. I uninstall camera classic as its no longer needed on the icon.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Was just a suggestion. If you try it, let us know if it helped.

Right I understand no problem and thank you for that.
It was just an observation on my part, asking if anyone else has noticed this. Now with denim you can run Lumina camera 5 along side Lumina camera classic (well for now at least). Easy to compare the two and camera 5 does have the advantage, but you can still feel a slight shutter lag. Unless I'm the only one. But like I ended with in the last post it may just be that I need to acclimate to the differences. Because both cameras have shutter lag, it just with classic I had got used to the short comings...

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
it's not perfect, but it's a ****load faster, and it's doing way more. the dynamic hdr and moment capture are amazing

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you seeing dynamic HDR? When I take a photo with Rich Capture on, I only have the option for Dynamic Exposure...I'm not seeing Dynamic HDR. Is anyone else getting the option for HDR?

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you seeing dynamic HDR? When I take a photo with Rich Capture on, I only have the option for Dynamic Exposure...I'm not seeing Dynamic HDR. Is anyone else getting the option for HDR?

I think I may have found the answer to my question above. According to this, Rich capture your life with Lumia Denim - Lumia Conversations ,the Lumia Camera chooses which mode to use for Rich Capture...HDR, Dynamic Flash, or Dynamic Exposure. Cool!!!

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to decide whether to enable 4k video. It's gonna swallow crazy disk space, and does the quality make any difference if you don't have a 4k monitor? suppose I should future-proof...

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the same feelings about the camera at first as well. After playing around a lot last night I like that it holds the focus point for you so you can take nearly instantaneous pictures in sequence, but the autofocus can still be slow, and I had trouble getting a focus-lock in non-perfect conditions. Interestingly the Microsoft camera autofocus is pretty much instant, so I don't think it's really a hardware restriction. There's a feedback section in the options for Lumia Camera 5, I'm going to suggest improving autofocus times.

EDIT: Under better conditions today autofocus was great. I think lowlight autofocus could be improved, but the camera updates are awesome

Last edited:

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I am confident the issue is me, but I am having a difficult time getting the camera to focus since the Denim update. I keep everything on auto, but so far other than a couple shots everything is coming out blurry. When reviewing living images, the camera starts off focused and then you can tell as soon as I press the camera button focus is off.

Can anyone explain how to keep it in focus?

Last edited:

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to decide whether to enable 4k video. It's gonna swallow crazy disk space, and does the quality make any difference if you don't have a 4k monitor? suppose I should future-proof...

I took a video and it was 500 megs for 1.10 minutes of video!

I set it back to 1080p but it will be a nice feature when we need it.

The other nice camera feature is the ability to HOLD the shutter to do 4K video that then allows you to pick a frame from that. That might be better than the old burst mode in the camera.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
FYI. If the graphics card on your PC or laptop doesn't support 4K recording, you'll crash your system. I did...twice. Looks like I may need to upgrade my 6yo desktop. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12