Denim & the App Store...A WARNING

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to Denim yesterday via recovery tool & wanted to let you all know of a store issue I ran into. There's an option in the Store app to view "my apps". This shows you a list of every app you've ever downloaded under your account. I wanted to pick a single app to download from this list, so I chose the select tool & checked that one single app & began the download.

Guess what happens next? It started downloading EVERY single app in that list, which for me was hundreds that I've used or tried over the years. And once it starts there's no way to stop it, unless you go through every one & select to cancel the download, which is nearly impossible. Even if you turn your phone off, it will start back once you power back up.

I ended up putting my Icon in airplane mode to stop the downloads & hard resetting to go back to stock Denim. So just a friendly warning. This feature seems borked & will ruin your day.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
You sure it wasn't just downloading every app you had installed on your phone prior to you upgrading?

Positive. It was installing stuff I haven't downloaded in years. Plus, I never made a backup & started with a fresh OS through the recovery tool.

Someone else can test this if they want. But be warned, if it happens you'll likely have to reset your phone depending on how many apps you've downloaded over the years.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
same thing for me. I was able to cancel the apps that I did not want.

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully others read this & never try it.

You must not have tried that many apps in the past to be able to cancel them so easily. For those of us who have been on WP for a while (and have tried many apps over the years), this bug can cripple a phone & force a hard reset.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
When I upgraded to 8.1.1 PFD, (no denim), it downloaded every app I had ever installed, which was pretty much everything in that "My Apps" list. I had read where others had the same issue, so I just let it do its thing since I was on some pretty fast and free Wi-Fi at the time. Afterward, I uninstalled everything I didn't want. Hard Reset and restore afterwards cleaned everything up nicely and all, but was a pain to go through all that.

Windows 10 preview for phones ended up having errors with some installed apps, which have to be uninstalled and re-installed. Another pain, but not as bad as "downloading everything I ever tested".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel