Does the 1020 still cut it?

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
In this world of 5.5 to 6 inch monsters that get latest wizz bang cpu's

the 4.5 to 5 inch market seems to be ignored

I feel the 4.5 to 5 inch market is the best size for a modern phone and hopefully the OEM's will finally start releasing proper full power full spec compact versions of their phablets.

I like the 930 but it seems to have issues, well the one I did for a week did, getting hot, screen lift and bad battery life.

So, with the latests update for the 1020, how does the 1020 stack up against its 930/830 1520/1320 bothers ?

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1020, I bought it for the camera and will stick with it for the camera ( plus I can't afford to do anything else lol). But if the camera wasn't so important I'd maybe think about a different Windows phone, maybe a 1520.

I'm disappointed that the 1020 doesn't have the new Lumia software for the camera or Hey Cortana. I think Nokia cheated on the processor which isn't quite up to the job and the camera is *slow*. But I've had a new battery and main board so in every other respect the phone zips along nicely, until the repair I was getting a lot of trouble with apps being slow to load and resume.

The screen is beautiful, sharp and very black and it has Glance.

I get a bit fed up with people ( I guess in the US) saying this phone is old over two years, what do you expect ect. I bought my phone the week after release 16mths ago for a massive sum of money, I think it's fair enough to expect it to be current, at least up to the end of the 2yr warranty.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1020 and tried "upgrading" to an 830 a couple weeks ago, but returned it after a week and went back to my 1020. The 830 - love the design, camera speed, replaceable battery and SD card option, but the picture quality was an obvious downgrade and even more significantly, the real dealbreaker was I was not happy with the screen. Compared to the 1020's AMOLED, it looked very washed out, blacks are grey, and viewing angle was not very good at all. Speed of the phone was nearly identical. A minor annoyance was the USB on top instead of the bottom. So had my "affair" for kicks and happily back with my 1020 until a new flagship comes along (1040 or 940).

cwf1

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
it depends on what type of user you are. i don't know if it can handle modern games cause i don't play games. if you're just a normal user, then you'll be able to see it is aging. i use it for phone calls, messaging and the camera. whilst loading whatsapp is a bit annoying recently with the loading and resuming lag, i'll put up with it. why? because it's got a gun a camera on it and I bought for the camera. it can replace a compact digital camera without any trouble. it shoots raw! that's brilliant for me. there isn't a phone out there with a camera that is close to this one. other than 930 and 1520, but they don't have xenon flash or camera grip.

does the 1020 cut it? to me, absolutely.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The camera startup is a bit slow and with too many things pinned and in folders the start screen will occasionally lag, and you'll see 'Resuming...' more often than you'd like. If you can ignore or live with all that, it is still a fantastic device. I have not yet seen anything I would swap it for, except maybe the 1520.3.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The camera startup is a bit slow and with too many things pinned and in folders the start screen will occasionally lag, and you'll see 'Resuming...' more often than you'd like. If you can ignore or live with all that, it is still a fantastic device. I have not yet seen anything I would swap it for, except maybe the 1520.3.

I side loaded (dev. unlocked) Lumia camera 5 on my 1020, and boy was the launch fast. Apart from that could really use any other feature showed some problems regarding insufficient space. Anyhow it is clear the start time can be improved, its not the hardware but the software. Other than that resuming and loading still persists for me too and start screen lag. Hoping win 10 would fix that.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
To me I couldn't handle all the "resuming" for whatsapp and viber and in the end it just got very annoying esp. if you use those apps alot during the day. I don't really game on my mobile phone so games are not important.
So I made the switch back to Android with a Xperia Z3.
I have to say that as a phone in terms of everyday use, making calls, checking mail etc. it's much better than the 1020.
But the camera comes nowhere near the 1020! The 1020 in terms of quality blows away any smartphone camera on the current market.
What I miss most is the camera on the 1020, you don't realise how good something is until it's gone.
But that's the only regret I have about switching to the Xperia Z3.
Saying that if Microsoft release a successor to the 1020 and give it the latest hardware (sd810) I would gladly swap back.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i know that we cannot compare the L1020 processor to the new phone processors but then L1020 was manufactured to give the best performing camera. I do agree that the startup time for apps is a bit slow.

The killer combination is L1020 + Camera Grip because this combination drastically improves the battery performance of the phone. The camera grip easily gives another 4 to 5 extra hours of battery juice, which is perfect for photographers.

I have been using it for all my nature treks and any other events.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In this world of 5.5 to 6 inch monsters that get latest wizz bang cpu's

the 4.5 to 5 inch market seems to be ignored

I feel the 4.5 to 5 inch market is the best size for a modern phone and hopefully the OEM's will finally start releasing proper full power full spec compact versions of their phablets.

I like the 930 but it seems to have issues, well the one I did for a week did, getting hot, screen lift and bad battery life.

So, with the latests update for the 1020, how does the 1020 stack up against its 930/830 1520/1320 bothers ?

Would not touch the 1020 with a 100ft poll... The AT&T unlocked variant was a good $180 before inventory was cleared.
If there is no 1030 this year I am switching to the ZenFone 2 xD

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, i know that we cannot compare the L1020 processor to the new phone processors but then L1020 was manufactured to give the best performing camera. I do agree that the startup time for apps is a bit slow.

The killer combination is L1020 + Camera Grip because this combination drastically improves the battery performance of the phone. The camera grip easily gives another 4 to 5 extra hours of battery juice, which is perfect for photographers.

I have been using it for all my nature treks and any other events.

But I still don't get how low end android phones, so far I have tested compared to my 1020, performed better opening apps and all of the other stuff. For example WhatsApp, if it took 5 seconds to open on my 1020, it took 2 seconds. Clearly processor, ram didn't matter (droid with 512 mb ram, 0.8ghz processor).
It's clearly the inability of our OS.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
But I still don't get how low end android phones, so far I have tested compared to my 1020, performed better opening apps and all of the other stuff. For example WhatsApp, if it took 5 seconds to open on my 1020, it took 2 seconds. Clearly processor, ram didn't matter (droid with 512 mb ram, 0.8ghz processor).
It's clearly the inability of our OS.

I am also using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and i feel the app opening time is better on it. Having said that, I also notice that android drains the battery faster. So when an app is openened, is android dedicating the whole CPU power to the app, to open faster? And is that the reason the battery drains faster?

Where as on my Lumia 1020, The app opening is slightly slow but then I can use it for 2 days on a single charge. So the slow app start is due to even distribution of CPU power?

​Just pondering on the possibility

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't see it as an OS problem but more on optimization.

I'm not saying all but perhaps some app developers are just not dedicating the time and resource to make sure apps are optimized.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I am also using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and i feel the app opening time is better on it. Having said that, I also notice that android drains the battery faster. So when an app is openened, is android dedicating the whole CPU power to the app, to open faster? And is that the reason the battery drains faster?

Where as on my Lumia 1020, The app opening is slightly slow but then I can use it for 2 days on a single charge. So the slow app start is due to even distribution of CPU power?

​Just pondering on the possibility

The battery life on my Xperia Z3 is amazing! Probably the best I have encountered from a smartphone. I have gotten nearly 3 days out of it and that's using it quite abit. The 1020 battery life was terrible for me and I would be lucky to get 20 hours from it esp. when you are using the camera.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, my previous Windows Phone experiences were all HTC phones. I had the Arrive for WP7 and the HTC 8XT for 8/8.1.
I recently upgraded to a 1020 because I use my phone mainly for photography - kids, vacations, day trips, etc.
The 8XT I had was only 1gb of ram and a 4.3" non HD screen.
Using the 1020 the last few days has been like a new experience. For me, it is the best phone I have ever used and I see no problem with lag, battery, etc. I get about 20 hours battery life with the 1020, where I was getting 10-12 with HTC.
I have not seen any of the Resuming... app lag that other users on here are complaining about, but that's probably because I came from a lesser phone.
(For what it's worth, I used an HTC One M7 on Android for a few months. Amazing device, terrible OS. Apps crashed and lagged all the time. Not the case so far with the 1020.)
The camera is unbelievable. The only downside so far is that it takes a few seconds in between shots - BUT - the photos are so amazing that it is worth it.
I know there are a lot of posts on this forum about people complaining about the processor, but this has been the fastest phone I have ever used. I am sure if I were to grab a 930, it would run faster, but it is all relative.
Also, I find the 4.5" screen to be a good size for using the phone one handed.
I love this phone and plan on using it until we see Win10 Lumias. Even after it is done being my phone, I plan on keeping it as a camera.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people have expressed positive sentiments about the L1020 and I agree with all of them - despite not having my phone right now because it needs serious repair (boot error). But, just have a look at the top forums. The Lumia 1020 has managed to stay in the top forums for a considerably long period of time - even maintaining it's standing against the Band and just falling short of "Hololens" and the 1520. With that, I'd say that the L1020 still does "cut it", though perhaps not as good as the 1520. It still is, afterall, the King of Camera Phones, an aging one at that.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people have expressed positive sentiments about the L1020 and I agree with all of them - despite not having my phone right now because it needs serious repair (boot error). But, just have a look at the top forums. The Lumia 1020 has managed to stay in the top forums for a considerably long period of time - even maintaining it's standing against the Band and just falling short of "Hololens" and the 1520. With that, I'd say that the L1020 still does "cut it", though perhaps not as good as the 1520. It still is, afterall, the King of Camera Phones, an aging one at that.
The best Nokia Camera Phone is no other than the Nokia 808.

Better optics, better sensor, faster capturing, better processing algorithms, better microphones, better speakers ....

If the processor were up to date low light video would not look so compressed.

In 2015 Lumix CM1 is king of the camera phones.
If it were not already a niche I could see a WP variant as a possibility

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
My 1st windows phone has been Lumia 1020...i shifted from Nokia 808 pv.....i have seen windows phone evolve.. From windows 8 to 8.1 to 8.1.1... I'm on dp...i have never experienced any major bug... I'm very happy user of 1020... It's my daily driver... It handles games well likes of asphalt....and all... My second phone is Samsung note 4 dual sim... Waiting for Lumia 1030....

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Amazing camera. Amazing screen. Typical solid Nokia build. However, 8.1 isn't as buttery smooth as 8.0 was back when the 1020 released. It does slow down every now and then. Battery life is frankly bad if your a heavy user. Bigger phone have bigger batteries.

I own a 1020 and a 1520. I'd have a hard time recommending buying a 1020 today unless you really want that camera. I know its a little bigger, but that 830 is a great device. I can't compare it directly, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to get that one if it fit your requirements. It's a beautiful phone! Solid camera. Decent power. Slightly bigger battery than the 1020 and rated for better stand by life, overall.

I miss that camera, even while my daily driver is a 1520. I save my 1020 as a gym music player and vacation phone, however. I'll probably keep it until its become common for any higher end smartphone to have as good or better camera than the 1020.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The best Nokia Camera Phone is no other than the Nokia 808.

Better optics, better sensor, faster capturing, better processing algorithms, better microphones, better speakers ....

If the processor were up to date low light video would not look so compressed.

In 2015 Lumix CM1 is king of the camera phones.
If it were not already a niche I could see a WP variant as a possibility

Did you answer the question?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo