Anyone using the Windows 10 for Phones preview on their L830?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I typically don't like preview/beta versions of operating systems because they're often unstable and no where near optimized, as they lack device-specific firmware. But I'm so desperate to install even a semi-stable version of any OS on my Lumia 830 that I'm debating installing the Windows 10 preview. Surely it can't be worse than the random reboot-riddled abomination that is this half-baked version of Denim.

We have no idea when the Western hemisphere will be getting Denim for their Lumia 830s since Microsoft isn't telling us. Should we install Windows 10 on our RM-985s? Curious to hear from anyone that previously had random reboot issues but are no longer experiencing it with the Windows 10 preview.

Tech King

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My phone is preparing to install as I type this reply... I am a little hesitant as well but I didn't get the Denim update as yet
I have the RM-984 tho, so I can't say on the differences but I will update on stability and bugs.... *fingers cross* no major bugs MSFT

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My phone is preparing to install as I type this reply... I am a little hesitant as well but I didn't get the Denim update as yet
I have the RM-984 tho, so I can't say on the differences but I will update on stability and bugs.... *fingers cross* no major bugs MSFT

you're installing Widows 10 ?I don't see it as available yet on PfD

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking forward to all of the feedback about Windows 10 for Phones cause I want to put it on my phone once it becomes available...

The funny thing is that just yesterday I switched from Lumia 625 to Lumia 535 hoping that when Windows 10 preview comes out I will be able to install it straight away... I don't mind waiting though.

So guys, please report all the awesomeness and all the glitches so that I can decide if I should get the preview once out for my phone!

Looking forward to reading this thread!

Ana

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
This is the info about the recovery tool :

[h=2]Eligibility[/h] The most important thing for us is that we want to make sure that anyone who tries this early preview has a way to get back to their prior OS if something goes wrong. So we’re only supporting phones for the preview that have a recovery image available. We created a new tool called the Windows Phone Recovery Tool that will restore that image if necessary.

Posted here: Announcing the first build of Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones

quarlow

Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
Looking at some rotating gears now, installing.

It's worth it to me if Netflix works. Being two months with having to hotspot so I can Netflix on my Android phone has been awful.

(UPDATE: Netflix still doesn't work ��
​UPDATE 2: uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling Netflix appears to work to get Netflix to play)

I'm used to buggy/incomplete builds. I used to flash ROMs weekly or more often just for fun on my Android devices. I have a backup (the aforementioned Netflix player) if I have anything urgent. The known issues don't scare me so far.

Last edited:

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have the version listed for the W10 update?

I just enabled Fast Track in Windows Insider and got proposed an update to "Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14219.341)"; that's the dec. 5, 2014 DP update though, not W10.

My current version is (non-DP) 8.10.14157.200; do I need the dec 5 update to then get W10?

Not that I want to jump in right away.
I'll wait to see if that super cool new parachute does open for those brave first jumpers. ;)

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have the version listed for the W10 update?

I just enabled Fast Track in Windows Insider and got proposed an update to "Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14219.341)"; that's the dec. 5, 2014 DP update though, not W10.

My current version is (non-DP) 8.10.14157.200; do I need the dec 5 update to then get W10?

Not that I want to jump in right away.
I'll wait to see if that super cool new parachute does open for those brave first jumpers. ;)

It wouldn't make any sense if that were the case. Not to me, anyway.

Try unticking the DP so your no longer enrolled, and then check for updates again...

quarlow

Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
Everything works so far. Netflix is still broken, and Lumia Camera still says to wait for Denim. But, everything I had installed before still is, and appears to run fine.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll continue the discussion in the proper forum after this post, but for now...

Everything is installed and up and running. The process was smooth.

I'm still looking around etc, but I can say that on my 830 that this preview is VERY laggy and not very smooth. Not quite unusable, but close. I'll probably be rolling back once I've had a good look over the next day or two.

BUT...I'm not complaining. I'm happy to try it out and I was expecting issues, so there ya go...

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Actually, reading the blog post, it looks like I'll lose more than I'll gain in this release (I.e, ill have to switch over to U.S. English to get Cortana)... May wait until the next roll...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb