Anyone using the Windows 10 for Phones preview on their L830?

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd also add to the above the graphics glitches and slowness inherent in a new beta system. The start screen and app list scrolls with half the frame rate it did before. Your home screen flashes before the lock screen comes up when you double tap to wake; obviously these issues will be fixed, but if you enjoy the smoothness of W7/7.5/8, don't upgrade. You'll feel like you're using a Galaxy S 3 :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure your 830 doesn't have a hardware issue?

When we purchased our 920's two years ago we got 2. Mine worked flawlessly, my wife's periodically restarted.

We exchanged hers and it worked flawlessly.

Just saying - Windows Phone is normally rock solid when the hardware is solid.

I honestly wish I knew. I agree with you re: typically solid hardware... I've had a Lumia 800, 900, 920, and 1520 previously and none of them had random reboot issues (1520 has a major swipe/tap/scroll bug though). But this is my fourth (believe it or not) Lumia 830 and they've all had this issue, some worse than others. They've all been unlocked; an RM-984 (probably the most stable one I've had to date, though it doesn't carry LTE support here in the U.S.), two RM-985s with LAM ROMs, and now this RM-985 with NAM ROM from the Microsoft Store.

I'm caught between waiting for full Denim to see if this is fixed, exchanging the phone before the 30-day policy is up, and finally just giving up on the Lumia 830 altogether instead of getting a fifth one. I don't like the alternatives to the 830 as far as WP is concerned though... the 1520 is too big, and the 930 doesn't get Glance or LTE here in the U.S. I'd rather not leave WP but I wouldn't have many options and the Xperia line is looking like an attractive option.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll continue the discussion in the proper forum after this post, but for now...

Everything is installed and up and running. The process was smooth.

I'm still looking around etc, but I can say that on my 830 that this preview is VERY laggy and not very smooth. Not quite unusable, but close. I'll probably be rolling back once I've had a good look over the next day or two.

BUT...I'm not complaining. I'm happy to try it out and I was expecting issues, so there ya go...

I've read in another post that the lag disappear if you do a hard reset even if you restore from a backup, the lag is gone after. I will try tonight but with a fresh install too many apps I don't use anyway and I will report back.

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I started a thread with my personal experience/opinions here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-phones/340699-24-hrs-win10-lumia-830-a.html

All on an L830.

Stability is pretty good, but W8.1 is more pleasant to use. Aside from the great changes in notifications and the organized settings...there are currently almost no other improvements that I'm really appreciative of yet over W8.1. Yet there are many features not yet implemented and issues in UX.

I'm having slight performance issues, and one lockup at my glance screen. But calls, texts, etc. working just fine.

So only install if you knowingly want to test/provide feedback to a very early build. If you don't want to do that yet...your not missing out on much. You can see what the next build looks like.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
"The biggest issue I have with the photos app right now is it's trying to download/show EVERYTHING I have on OneDrive."

Yeah, I think that's what it was trying to do on mine as well. It would be nice to have a way of managing that. It seems like it's going to eat up a lot phone storage or a lot of data or both.

There is a option in the photo app in the hamburger menu which is "Show my photos and videos from OneDrive" if you uncheck then I think it won't try to connect and show you all the photos...

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure your 830 doesn't have a hardware issue?

When we purchased our 920's two years ago we got 2. Mine worked flawlessly, my wife's periodically restarted.

We exchanged hers and it worked flawlessly.

Just saying - Windows Phone is normally rock solid when the hardware is solid.

Same here - my Lumia 830 has randomly rebooted exactly ONCE in the more than 3 months I've owned it. That's as good or better than the iPhone 5 I had for the previous 2+ years. If you're using the word "abomination", things are pretty bad, I'd return the phone, since many (most?) of us find it to be very stable.

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
My phone doesnt update to technical preview... It stuck in "checking for updates". I uninstall the insider program app... Do a soft reset and update the phone without the app and it still stuck in "checking for update. I re install again the app and update the phone,still my phone is stuck in "checking for update". Is there someone here that shares my experience?

Update: Theres an update but after the update... Im not yet in W10. I try to check for the update but my phone is already in the latest update. Anyway. I choose the insider slow. So maybe I will get the next update with bug fixes...

Last edited:

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
There is a option in the photo app in the hamburger menu which is "Show my photos and videos from OneDrive" if you uncheck then I think it won't try to connect and show you all the photos...

Yep. That did it. Hadn't made it around to digging into the settings until now. Thanks. ;)

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

That worked wonders, thanks. Everything is lot smoother now and the battery life is better. It must have been working hard to
download the onedrive stuff.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with it so far. Installation went fine but after it was rough scrolling and flipping pages. I followed somebody's advice on a different thread and did a full reset. Excluding the time it takes to recover, it was definitely worth it for me. Much smoother and comparable to what others showed in videos.

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Here's my start screen with the new WP10 preview. Loving the actionable messaging.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150216_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20150216_0002.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 19

ronharding

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I put Win 10 on my Lumia 830. it took about 36 hours for it to settle in and is working well now. Originally there was complaints about the SD card needed to be scanned, and the camera wouldn't load.

When I go to Settings- extras+info, the Software release text is missing, I do see the "i" in a circle.

the device is RM-985_1004

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
After a day or two I decided to go back to 8.1. Syncing with my MS Band is very troublesome on W10, not all notifications work and Cortana is broken for now. It's night and day with syncing on 8.1 and much faster. I will try W10 again once I hear they fixed the sync issues with the band. I liked W10 otherwise and didn't have any other issues other than those that were reported by others.
cheers

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Some of the biggest issues for me on W10 were the reminders were borked for Cortana. Couldn't use my Band to set a reminder, and it wouldn't stay paired. Reminders also wouldn't save consistently, the save button often took several presses for it to register and the bottom of the page has options to say yes, or type, but Cortana doesn't pick up a voice response or even has a box to type a response. The white Cortana background was a huge step back. Hopefully this will be user changeable. Also, battery life was terrible. Same on my Surface Pro 3. On the 830, not having battery sense to shut off apps from staying on in the background probably added to the drain. Also, Pulse.me wouldn't work anymore in IE.

Because of these, I had to go back. Hopefully, these are all fixed in the next build and it'll finally be usable.

benj0219

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
When I try to install the preview on my 830, I get the message no builds. I have registered on windows insider. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Surely it can't be worse than the random reboot-riddled abomination that is this half-baked version of Denim.
Seriously? My Lumia 830 is every bit as stable as every other phone, Windows or otherwise, I've owned, which is to say it is 100% rock-solid and hasn't crashed or randomly rebooted even once since I bought it last October. It's running 8.10.14219.341 and I really couldn't be happier with it. Maybe you need to reset yours and start again?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon