Lumia Camera 5/Denim Orientation Bug

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I noticed right away that after snapping some pics with the new camera app & editing them with certain apps, the orientation would be wrong. I thought it might just be certain apps behaving badly, but upon further inspection of the photo's exif data, the orientation is indeed messed up & listed as "inconsistent". Taking the same pics with other apps (like Proshot) defines the orientation correctly, so its the new Lumia Camera app that's the problem.

So basically your photos may look fine in the photo viewer app or some other apps, but they will forever have a messed up orientation tag in the exif data, which could lead to other issues later on with editing & viewing. I don't know how often this happens or why, just that its enough for me to probably hold off on using the new camera app full time. I don't need my exif data messed up. Every photo I snapped yesterday had it.

Viewing the data with an exif viewer. Notice the orientation tag
M0qtXcn.jpg

Sending to 6tag app
RdyPa1q.jpg

Sending to Hi Collage
6Whw68G.jpg

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I noticed right away that after snapping some pics with the new camera app & editing them with certain apps, the orientation would be wrong. I thought it might just be certain apps behaving badly, but upon further inspection of the photo's exif data, the orientation is indeed messed up & listed as "inconsistent". Taking the same pics with other apps (like Proshot) defines the orientation correctly, so its the new Lumia Camera app that's the problem.

So basically your photos may look fine in the photo viewer app or some other apps, but they will forever have a messed up orientation tag in the exif data, which could lead to other issues later on with editing & viewing. I don't know how often this happens or why, just that its enough for me to probably hold off on using the new camera app full time. I don't need my exif data messed up. Every photo I snapped yesterday had it.

Viewing the data with an exif viewer. Notice the orientation tag
http://i.imgur.com/M0qtXcn.jpg

Sending to 6tag app
http://i.imgur.com/RdyPa1q.jpg

Sending to Hi Collage
http://i.imgur.com/6Whw68G.jpg

Noticed it too. Personally it's not a big issue for me. Rich capture is amazing so I'll live with that. Hope they will fix it soon though!

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Noticed it too. Personally it's not a big issue for me. Rich capture is amazing so I'll live with that. Hope they will fix it soon though!

Thanks for confirming. I wonder if it effects the Lumia Camera 5 app across all devices or just the Icon?

Yeah, for some its not a big deal. For me, I'm imagining months/years later looking at these photos on some other system or app & then having to go through & fix them one by one. Noooo.

stokes1510

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for confirming. I wonder if it effects the Lumia Camera 5 app across all devices or just the Icon?

Yeah, for some its not a big deal. For me, I'm imagining months/years later looking at these photos on some other system or app & then having to go through & fix them one by one. Noooo.

As far as I've heard its the same on all phones with Lumia cam 5, including my 930

Lox333

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem with my Lumia 1520 (CV GBIE) since upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 Update with Denim.

OS ver 8.10.14226.359
Firmware ver 02540.00019.14522.26004
Harware ver 5.0.0.1

The problem only occurs in the Lumia Camera 5 App (v 5.0.2.47) and the recent update to the app (20/02/2015) didn't resolve the issue.

I've been discussing it on and off with Lumiahelp on Twitter and they seem to have no idea on how to fix it. They've offered a "recommended workaround" which doesn't work (they suggested rotating the photo prior to opening it in an App that shows it wrong - but all that does is rotate it to the wrong orientation in the Photo App and it still displays it wrong in the App).

It only affects Portrait Photos which will show correct in the Photo App, OneDrive and OneDrive online, however if you download them to your PC or open them in the Twitter App for example, they will be shown as Landscape.

I've also carried out a full factory reset and this did not resolve the issue.

Bill

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed that when I share via Instagram. Instagram has the ability to rotate the image, and when I view the files in Rawer and Lightroom (I shoot RAW), they are properly oriented. It is also oriented properly when I share via Facebook or messaging. So it's not a huge deal for me.

I'm wondering if the problem is when the file is written to jpg format. Like I said the Adobe DNG RAW files are properly oriented in Rawer, Lightroom, and Adobe Camera Raw (Photoshop plugin).

Last edited:

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't a Nokia phone (so no Lumia Camera), but my gf just complained to me tonight that her photos are rotated when uploading to Instagram. Hopefully they'll fix this soon!

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't a Nokia phone (so no Lumia Camera), but my gf just complained to me tonight that her photos are rotated when uploading to Instagram. Hopefully they'll fix this soon!

I've seen a couple updates to the camera app since I made this post & it still hasn't been fixed. Ugh.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey. It looks like they fixed the orientation bug. I noticed that Lumia Camera was updated yesterday. I to a quick snap, and stared to Instagram and the image was properly orientated without having to rotate in the app.

Now all they need to do is fix the inability to share to Instagram from the LC itself. If I take a pic, it won't allow me to share to Instagram or 6Tag directly. I have to go into Photos Hub and share from there.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey. It looks like they fixed the orientation bug. I noticed that Lumia Camera was updated yesterday. I to a quick snap, and stared to Instagram and the image was properly orientated without having to rotate in the app.

Now all they need to do is fix the inability to share to Instagram from the LC itself. If I take a pic, it won't allow me to share to Instagram or 6Tag directly. I have to go into Photos Hub and share from there.

Did you take the pic in portrait? Because thats where the bug is. Mine is still messed up after update.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and the bug is still there. It was doing it for both portrait and landscape for me. Now just portrait. :/

Ugh. I wonder why they can't fix this?? I really don't want to use a 3rd party camera app, but they're kinda forcing me to. I like ProShot & all, but its not nearly as fast as Lumia Camera 5.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ugh. I wonder why they can't fix this?? I really don't want to use a 3rd party camera app, but they're kinda forcing me to. I like ProShot & all, but its not nearly as fast as Lumia Camera 5.

I shoot in DNG RAW format. How it works is it creates two files; a 5MP jpg and a 16MP DNG RAW file. The bug seems to be when the jpg version is written to memory. That is the version that is used to post to Instagram, FB, etc. The DNG RAW version's EXIF data seems to be fine. When I open it in Lightroom the EXIF data looks ok and it is oriented properly.

As far as being unable to fix it... that's a good question. I'm sure they are aware of the problem...maybe they are just as stumped about it as we are.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I shoot in DNG RAW format. How it works is it creates two files; a 5MP jpg and a 16MP DNG RAW file. The bug seems to be when the jpg version is written to memory. That is the version that is used to post to Instagram, FB, etc. The DNG RAW version's EXIF data seems to be fine. When I open it in Lightroom the EXIF data looks ok and it is oriented properly.

As far as being unable to fix it... that's a good question. I'm sure they are aware of the problem...maybe they are just as stumped about it as we are.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the "high res" version of the jpg is effected? If its just the 5mp down sampled version, I could prob live with that.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the "high res" version of the jpg is effected? If its just the 5mp down sampled version, I could prob live with that.

I'm not sure, since I don't shoot in JPG mode. If the 5MP JPG is wrong, then I have to presume the 16MP JPG has the same issue.

I did look at the EXIF info of the DNG in Photoshop and it shows the orientation field is blank, but Photoshop displays the image properly. Weird...

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, since I don't shoot in JPG mode. If the 5MP JPG is wrong, then I have to presume the 16MP JPG has the same issue.

I did look at the EXIF info of the DNG in Photoshop and it shows the orientation field is blank, but Photoshop displays the image properly. Weird...

PhotoShop might be one of the apps that displays it correctly, even if the orientation might be messed up. I'd be concerned about that tag being blank though. Is that common with DNG files in general?

BTW, I checked the 20mp high res jpg version on device using Pocket Explorer to extract it. Orientation is still messed up in portrait. :(

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
PhotoShop might be one of the apps that displays it correctly, even if the orientation might be messed up. I'd be concerned about that tag being blank though. Is that common with DNG files in general?

BTW, I checked the 20mp high res jpg version on device using Pocket Explorer to extract it. Orientation is still messed up in portrait. :(

I'm not sure. I have a Canon EOS 6D and took a portrait shot with it using CR2 (Canon RAW). Photoshop shows the orientation field as blank as well, and of course it displays properly in Photoshop.

I took the same picture using my Ricoh WG-4 GPS (which saves in JPG only) and opened it up in Photoshop. The orientation field shows "1 (Normal)." I took a pic in landscape orientation and it said the exact same thing, "1 (Normal)."

To make things even more confusing. I took two pics with my Icon using LC5, (one in portrait orientation and one in landscape orientation) and opened the JPG versions in Photoshop. Both images' EXIF data show the orientation as, "1 (Normal)."

So I don't know where the problem lay.

This link shows what the orientation field should be populated with: ImpulseAdventure - JPEG / Exif Orientation and Rotation

kikendo

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I have this same problem. It's the Lumia Camera app, nothing else. I thought my phone was at fault and I am glad it isn't but I can't believe this hasn't been fixed by Microsoft already!!! It's SUPER annoying and ruins my photo library. Everything I shoot vertically comes out wrong, and if you shoot in landscape but with the shutter button facing down, you will also get a wrongly oriented pic (upside down)

Crappy workaround: go to the Store and download the other "Lumia Camera" which Microsoft calls "classic" (but not on teh Store, making this VERY confusing). It has a different color icon. It's version 4 so it might not have some features, but I honestly don't see much of a difference, Smart Sequence is back and I can set the filter on or off which was removed in version 5 (WHY Microsoft, WHY do you remove things???)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12