"Your device is up to date" - but it shouldn't be

Pieter J

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Only yesterday I bought a used Nokia Lumia 920 in Taiwan from a guy who said he didn't use it much. When I look at the phone, I believe him, because it looks like new. Another indication of this was that the phone still had WP 8.0 installed (OS v.: 8.0.9903.10, Firmware revision no.: 1232.2109.1242.1000).
After doing a factory reset, I wanted to do the upgrade to Cyan (at least that seems to be the latest version for Taiwan). But when I look for updates, it says there are none.
I tried a couple more factory resets, tried to change regions, tried SysApp Pusher, LUMIA pusher and Phone System Updater to update my system apps, but without luck. The update for 'extras+info' fails every time though so might this be where the problem lies?
Then I installed the Preview for Developers app to try and get the WP 8.1 update that way. When I open the app though, it says: "Only phones with OS versions newer than or equal to 8.0.10322.71 can enroll in the Preview for Developers program. Go to Settings > Phone update to get the latest update for your phone."
Besides flashing the WP 8.1 firmware directly (which I'm reluctant to do), I don't know what else I can do to get the update.
Does anyone on this forum have an idea?
Thanks!

Pieter J

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this is relevant, but under 'extras+info' it says:
Manufacturer Model Name: RM-821_eu_euro1
Mobile Operator Name: 000-GB
I guess that means it was a phone bought in the UK originally?

Pieter J

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I was hoping there would be a tool just like this, but I must have missed it. I will try it out now and let you know if it helped.

grantpwarren

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Good, you can now enrol in PfD, once updated to 14219 (I think that's the number) untick the enable PfD box then you just gotta wait for the denim firmware release.

Dorkito

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
It is my understanding (and Perhaps I am wrong) that there is no firmware update necessary for WP8.1 update 1 for the L920 (the camera enhancements do not apply for this hardware) so enrolling in the PfD and updating to WP8.1u1 it's all that is necessary for having the Denim Equivalent.
The Update to Denim from the Carrier will only contain the OS and not firmware.
I just did the update two days ago, and I am very glad I did... had a lot of fun reorganizing the start screen using live folders and now its compact and way cooler!.
to the OP, I highly recommend you upgrade via PfD!

stringdt

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
It is my understanding (and Perhaps I am wrong) that there is no firmware update necessary for WP8.1 update 1 for the L920 (the camera enhancements do not apply for this hardware) so enrolling in the PfD and updating to WP8.1u1 it's all that is necessary for having the Denim Equivalent.
The Update to Denim from the Carrier will only contain the OS and not firmware.
I just did the update two days ago, and I am very glad I did... had a lot of fun reorganizing the start screen using live folders and now its compact and way cooler!.
to the OP, I highly recommend you upgrade via PfD!

with the official update you'll have battery improvements, more stable system, in general, a solid rock retail system, i've been waiting a long time for the official release of denim for the 920 but it seems Microsoft wants us to change ours 920 because denim was official release on august 2014, i was trying the pfd version days ago, and for example, the phone gets too much hot, and some lags happend randomly, the battery dries quickly, just for saying some things.

Dorkito

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I stand corrected, I guess. I'll start a thread discusing Denim vs PfD to discuss this topic on order not to hijack this thread.
Again, to the OP, glad you figure out Cyan and hoping you are enjoyin your 920. I am still so into mine and not one of the new lumias have made me look their way (exept maybe the 1520!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)