Extra tiles setting - do you use?

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering how many people use the extra tiles feature for the 1020? I tried it for a few days and ended up not liking it, so went back to the standard layout. The small tiles were just a little too small for me, and the large tiles looked ... odd.
Curious as to how others have found using it on the smaller 4.5" screen.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 with the same size display - 4.5" and I use the extra tiles setting. I do flip every once in a while.

My sister with a 925 on the other hand does not.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 as well and I also use the extra tiles setting, somehow even got the 1520 set up on it for a little bit (5 action center buttons and smaller text) and liked that too... Not sure how that happened, but didn't last long heh. I did like it though, as i like the extra tiles.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I use extra tiles from day 1 :) I wouldn't go back to the "standard layout" and those big tiles :p

P.S I have 1020
I'm going to try it out again for a few weeks and see how it goes. The original tile sizes are a bit too big and the more tiles option is just a tad too small. I need a medium setting!

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
At first I also felt the same. But after a while, and trying to go back to standard layout, it felt different...big... Loving the extra tile layout

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
On my 1520, it came standard and since it's a big phone, then there really isn't any issue. When I got that option on the 1020, I tried it first and thought the same way. It was small. Went back to the old layout then I realized I don't have that much app that needed large tiles so I minimized and used the small tiles on those that I don't need em and stuck with it. Now I'm used to the size

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the feeling at start tiles were too small, but finally I got used to it (I don't really use the smallest size) and I can't imagine going back to the old layout. I can read the MSN News tile (maximum size), etc. It's a matter of habit, you need to experiment it during a couple of days or weeks.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I was a bit hesitant with trying the extra column of tiles when I got Cyan, but I decided to try it out for a while and I soon got to really like it. I then went on an old screenshot of my start layout before Cyan - and I was taken aback a bit by how big the tiles seemed and how much space they used up before, it seemed an inefficient use of the 4.5" of screen. I haven't had a problem with the size of the small tiles so far, although the decrease in size did throw me a bit at the beginning. Plus, the ability to have more wide tiles, without them taking up about 1/4 of the screen, means I can use my live tiles a bit better, with more content on them. I can't see me going back to the two-column set-up again. :)

It did take me a week or two to get fully used to it - the start layout is the most personal and well-used part of a Windows Phone, so naturally a radical change like this can seem a bit odd at first.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've been using the extras tiles layout for a few days now and I think I am getting used to it. Still feels small.
Thanks for the feedback!

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Been using the extra tiles right from day 1 on my 920 and I'm loving it!
Until now, I've never thought of the standard tiles but since it's mentioned I might give it a try for a few days. Even at that, I already know what my reaction would be: Too big! Cos I love things minute, even prefer tiny character words.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb