8.1 Update Released for ATIV SE !!!

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Update 8.1 thread

Thanks, I downgraded too and nothing... until just now.

It said it 'couldn't check for updates" multiple times, but now it's updating.

Andy Belanger

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Bad news, Good news.
First bad news...it seems as though the early adopters are still out of luck. I had PfD on my phone, and after about 50 attempts, it still says I'm up to date, with the old firmware, etc. Now the good news...I used the method posted in this thread:
"how-flash-windows-phone-8-0-gdr3-windows-get-rid-preview-developers-new-post" (sorry, not at 10 posts, so no links)
to flash my phone back to WP 8.0, and then received the OTA update. The only minor thing is that when you startup the phone after reverting it to 8.0, it asks you if you want to restore a backup. The instructions say to tell it "NO", which is right, because the backup is an 8.1 backup, and you should wait until after the OTA update. The only problem is once you tell it "no", it doesn't ever ask you again, after the OTA update. I went into the settings menu, under "backup" hoping to find a "restore" option, but there is none. The Online users manual on Verizon's website, only tells you that if you have backed-up your phone, that it will give you the option to restore a backup, when you first sign in to your Microsoft Account on the phone. Well, that happened when restoring the 8.0, and now I don't know how to restore my backup. I had moved all of my photos and stuff to the SD card, so they are all thankfully still there, but I have to re-install all of my apps, and use Verizon's backup service to get my contacts back. Just one thing to be careful of, unless someone else, here, will give instructions for making the phone restore a backup, after the OTA update.

Andy Belanger

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

#66 Report Post

Bad news, Good news.
First bad news...it seems as though the early adopters are still out of luck. I had PfD on my phone, and after about 50 attempts, it still says I'm up to date, with the old firmware, etc. Now the good news...I used the method posted in this thread:
"how-flash-windows-phone-8-0-gdr3-windows-get-rid-preview-developers-new-post" (sorry, not at 10 posts, so no links)
to flash my phone back to WP 8.0, and then received the OTA update. The only minor thing is that when you startup the phone after reverting it to 8.0, it asks you if you want to restore a backup. The instructions say to tell it "NO", which is right, because the backup is an 8.1 backup, and you should wait until after the OTA update. The only problem is once you tell it "no", it doesn't ever ask you again, after the OTA update. I went into the settings menu, under "backup" hoping to find a "restore" option, but there is none. The Online users manual on Verizon's website, only tells you that if you have backed-up your phone, that it will give you the option to restore a backup, when you first sign in to your Microsoft Account on the phone. Well, that happened when restoring the 8.0, and now I don't know how to restore my backup. I had moved all of my photos and stuff to the SD card, so they are all thankfully still there, but I have to re-install all of my apps, and use Verizon's backup service to get my contacts back. Just one thing to be careful of, unless someone else, here, will give instructions for making the phone restore a backup, after the OTA update.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

#66 Report Post

Bad news, Good news.

Just don't ever sign in to your MS account until after you've reupgraded to 8.1. If you don't sign in you aren't prompted to restore.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just one thing to be careful of, unless someone else, here, will give instructions for making the phone restore a backup, after the OTA update.
Don't sign in to your MS account until after you've gotten the OTA. I'd suggest to flash back to 8.0, upgrade to 8.1 without signing in to MS account, reset phone, sign in the MS account and restore.

sncboom2k

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I flashed mine back to 8 with the tutorial provided - followed every step verbatim and had no issues. I then received the 2 updates mentioned in this thread. I did not do a backup of anything app related. Setup Windows Phone 8.1 and marveled in the fact that the bugs are gone. (The ones that made it so unusable with dev preview.)

I do have Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on my computer - so I did go turn off the driver signing. And remember to run everything as an admin where ever possible.

Thanks to all - working great - happy with it again. Put my HTC One M8 For Windows in the closet as a spare.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I'll try that with my wife's phone, and post the results.

You should be able to do a hard reset (via settings -> about -> reset your phone) after you have re-upgraded to the latest update, then sign-in to do a restore.

Not ideal but that may be the only option for some...

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

@ Dusan I noticed that the Ativ Camera app which comes with the 8.1 update, doesn't appear in the store and in the Samsung zone... Very strange!

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

i wonder if we could have the 2 threads on 8.1 merged as it seems we are discussing similar issues in both and a few have posted in both looking for answers?

ATIV_S

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

My Ativ SE is downloading now the 8.1 update :)
So happy!!!
I will be back soon after the installation and write about it.
Who else is updating now?
Hey Halev, does your MMS and Internet Sharing works with your Netherland carrier after the WP8.1 update? According to this thread; http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-se/337031-anybody-unlock-phone-use-t.html ...At&t users have problems with those but that's with WP8.0 so I just wanted to know if those works for your carrier whether before or after the WP8.1 update. I'm trying to use it with At&t. Thanks!

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Hey Halev, does your MMS and Internet Sharing works with your Netherland carrier after the WP8.1 update? According to this thread; http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-se/337031-anybody-unlock-phone-use-t.html ...At&t users have problems with those but that's with WP8.0 so I just wanted to know if those works for your carrier whether before or after the WP8.1 update. I'm trying to use it with At&t. Thanks!

Hi i don't use mms or internet sharing... So I'm sorry that I can not answer you about that...

ATIV_S

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

Halev, no problem ;) Can you do me some flavor then? Can you check to see if there's an "APN" app in the settings and/or in the Mobile+SIM (Cellular+SIM) option? If yes, can you also check to see if there's an option to edit the "MMS APN"? For the Internet Sharing, what happens when you turn it on? Does it do anything or say anything?

Or if you can post some pictures of the settings of what I said above that would be awesome! Thanks! I appreciated it

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Halev, no problem ;) Can you do me some flavor then? Can you check to see if there's an "APN" app in the settings and/or in the Mobile+SIM (Cellular+SIM) option? If yes, can you also check to see if there's an option to edit the "MMS APN"? For the Internet Sharing, what happens when you turn it on? Does it do anything or say anything?

Or if you can post some pictures of the settings of what I said above that would be awesome! Thanks! I appreciated it

I looked for you. Theres no option mms apn and also no mms settings at mobile + sim...
When i try to enable internet sharing it says connection not shared... A warning pops up something about tethering and that i need to call 611 or go to verizonwireless.com... Hope this answers your question!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss