8.1 Update Released for ATIV SE !!!

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Update 8.1 thread

How's the stability on the official 8.1 update? No crashing/etc like the preview?

Till so far everything works excellent! No crashing and camera wirks great, especially the Ativ camera app is super! Batterly life seems also improved in my experience:)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, now that the official 8.1 is available for the SE, can we all agree this is the baddest WP on the block? This is coming from a 1520 owner who despises Big Red.
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520

berndts

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I installed 8.1 on my Samsung Ativ SE last week - the good...I like 8.1 ...I used to have it over a year ago as the Dev Preview on my old Nokia 810...the bad ....now my phone reboots about 3 - 4 times a day without any warning....anybody else having this issue?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay, now that the official 8.1 is available for the SE, can we all agree this is the baddest WP on the block? This is coming from a 1520 owner who despises Big Red.
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520
If the Ativ SE had a GSM version, I would have purchased it without hesitation. My Ativ S was an absolute pleasure to use.

ATIV_S

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks again Halev. Can you send and receive picture messaging's without using Whatsapp? Can you do me another favor? Sorry. Can you go into your "Settings" --> "APNs" --> "..." to see if you can select the "Add new access point?" or what information do you see there?

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Yes i can select new accesspoint. Also i tried to send normal sms and to add a photo. The photo appears in the message and then it says its an mms. I didn't send it but i think its possible...

ATIV_S

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Halev! I appreciate your help. So what do you see after you select "add new access point?" Or can you take some screenshots if possible? If you can add new access point and saved it, then the MMS might just work. Can you do that test for me? You can delete it after it's saved and it should be no problem.

DrRambone, do you have a ATIV SE on a different carrier network too? And it doesn't work after adding new access points either?

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Halev! I appreciate your help. So what do you see after you select "add new access point?" Or can you take some screenshots if possible? If you can add new access point and saved it, then the MMS might just work. Can you do that test for me? You can delete it after it's saved and it should be no problem.

DrRambone, do you have a ATIV SE on a different carrier network too? And it doesn't work after adding new access points either?

I can not add a new access point because I have already one for my Dutch carrier. MMS works because my friend received the picture!

ATIV_S

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey Halev, that's good news! So can you receive pictures from your friend then (not using whatspp)? ...So you can not add a new access point then? Is it blocked? How many access points does your Dutch carrier have listed under your APN setting? Sorry if I'm asking too much questions, just let me know and I'll stop ;)

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I dont know. Me and my friends always use Whatsapp for sending photos. MMS/SMS is not populair here in Netherlands. Abou the APN i already answered you and I am not so technical so I don't know everything about phones hahha. Maybe you should contact Verizon or Samsung.

Andy Belanger

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I installed 8.1 on my Samsung Ativ SE last week - the good...I like 8.1 ...I used to have it over a year ago as the Dev Preview on my old Nokia 810...the bad ....now my phone reboots about 3 - 4 times a day without any warning....anybody else having this issue?
I'm not having that problem, but now my speech to text functionality for both Cortana and messaging does not work. It's like the phone doesn't hear me at all. The little "wave graph" thing at the bottom of the screen doesn't register any sound. WTF, because it was working perfectly with PfD? No problems on a call, though...the other person hears me fine, so I know the microphone actually works. Any one else having this problem?

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not having that problem, but now my speech to text functionality for both Cortana and messaging does not work. It's like the phone doesn't hear me at all. The little "wave graph" thing at the bottom of the screen doesn't register any sound. WTF, because it was working perfectly with PfD? No problems on a call, though...the other person hears me fine, so I know the microphone actually works. Any one else having this problem?

i was on stock 8 and took 8.1 and have had no issues at all. no reboots, battery is amazing and even as my work phone for calls all day i end the day at 40%+ and speech to text works as expected.

i wonder if a factory reset might fix your issue?

shirlA

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem regarding voice texting and searching - it can't hear me at all. All else is working beautifully.

Scottdd

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I was running the preview version and flashed back to the original OS by following the instructions on the site and then took both OTA updates from Verizon and I am happy to say my phone is working perfectly. I have not has any lockups or any issues with the camera. I did do a complete reset, but I also did that when I loaded the preview version. I am using a surface 3, so the driver for the ATIV SE was already installed because I used the phone app on my surface. If you have not upgraded because the OTA does not automatically come through after you installed the preview version, I suggest you go through the flash process, the upgrade makes all the frustrations with the phone go away. I have no proof, but the battery life does seem better and no lock ups or reboots. Finely got the phone I thought I purchased.

Craig Hite

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
So far I am pleased with the update to 8.1 but I'm having a couple of minor issues... nothing terrible, but figured I'd share...

1. A few times now, the phone has frozen and then rebooted. Has happened when using the Windows News app and also the Facebook app; the phone will freeze up completely (no response to touch, or to the hardware buttons) and then after about 20 seconds will reboot. This has happened maybe seven or eight times now, never happened before the update.

2. A couple of times now, maybe five or six, apps will refuse to start... for example, I'll tap the Outlook app and it'll say "loading..." for a few seconds and then close. When this has happened, it seems to affect all (or at least most) apps that pull a lot of data - email, news, etc. In each case, rebooting the phone fixed it.

3. Occasionally, voice will stop working with Cortana. I'll press the microphone icon and it'll go into listening mode, but nothing you say will register. Again, a reboot will fix.

All of that being said, I am pleased with the update. The phone seems to run a bit faster and more smoothly now. I like the new message center, and I like the new calling functionality.

Craig Hite

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Damn... maybe I spoke to soon...

Not sure if there was an additional update or what - I haven't seen any notification about any - but over the last few weeks my experience with Windows 8.1 on this phone has been far worse...

I've been getting random lockups and lot more frequently. At least one per day, often more, and they don't seem to follow any pattern. Sometimes when opening an app, other times when closing an app. The screen will freeze and then after a few minutes it'll reboot itself. Nothing you do in the time in between, short of pulling the battery, makes any difference.

This morning, I woke up to find the phone frozen in that it wouldn't wake up and was completely unresponsive but with a black screen - and it was hot to the touch. I pulled the battery and put it back in, and it booted up okay and seems to be working, but it worries me how hot it was - I've had it get warm while playing a game or something like that, but nothing even close to this.

I haven't installed anything in the past few weeks, so it anything changed it had to have happened in the background like an update. Gonna take it in to Verizon to see what they can find.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb