03-09-2015 02:54 PM
85 1234
tools
    I've just bought an 830 and I'm already feeling a bit put out with the 640/XL announcements. But since I got it new off eBay at a much reduced price, I'm not too unhappy I guess -- I only got it to test Windows 10 anyway. The 640 could be a new best seller at that price tag.
    03-02-2015 07:26 AM
    Just bought my 830 two days ago, its going back.

Can't wait to grab a 640XL!
    The only thing the XL has better than the 830 is cameras. I feel the 830 has more features including wireless charging. Plus looks I lot more solid of a build
    03-02-2015 08:11 AM
    Not build in WCh ok, and any info about with a shell as at L735?
    Nope the hardware is missing internally
    03-02-2015 08:27 AM
    How is the 640 XL an upgrade to the 920?

--The SoC in the 640 XL is inferior to the 920's.
    --The display is 1.2" larger, yet the resolution is lower.
    --The camera is of a higher resolution, but lacks OIS.
    --The phone has microSD support, but it has one-fourth of the on-board storage.
    --No wireless charging was mentioned, to my recollection.
    03-02-2015 10:03 AM

It is also a lot cheaper than the 920...
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-02-2015 01:39 PM
    That's because its inferior
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    03-02-2015 02:32 PM
    Nope the hardware is missing internally
    No luck. :/ BTW, thanks for the reply.
    N
    03-02-2015 04:11 PM
    How can you guys possibly say the 640 is better than the 830/920? I can almost guarantee the screen will be inferior. Just because the camera has a higher MP doesn't mean it will be better. I guarantee it doesn't feel as premium as the 830/920 in the hand. Some things people don't seem to be realizing.

I'll gladly buy your discounted 830's just so you can buy an inferior phone. XD
    lbeezy2188 and psiu_glen like this.
    03-02-2015 04:16 PM
    The 640 and XL will I believe come preloaded with win 8.1 and that would include denim right?
    They actually come with WP8.1 GDR2 with Denim.
    03-02-2015 04:21 PM

--Actually, I've heard the SD400 is comparable to the SD S4. The fact that it has a 1.2GHz CPU, which is lower than that of the S4, doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to performance, as so many, incorrectly, assume.
    --The resolution, isn't that much lower. I, sincerely, doubt you could tell the difference. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised to find the 920's display better still.
    --I don't believe the 920 had true OIS, as we're now seeing on the iPhone, and some Android Flagships, either. MP don't mean much. Wouldn't doubt the 920's camera being better.
    --May have 1/4 on-board storage, but just through microSD support, it could have more overall storage space than the 920. Other than that, I don't see why you're comparing them in this area. It really doesn't matter, or mean much.
    --I'll never understand the fascination with wireless charging, and this coming from a guy who gets excited over installing a new IDE.

All in all, even though the 920 is a bit old at this point, it's still strange to compare a (previous/ex) flagship device with a budget smartphone.
    snowmutt and Marc Baldry like this.
    03-02-2015 11:27 PM
    --Actually, I've heard the SD400 is comparable to the SD S4. The fact that it has a 1.2GHz CPU, which is lower than that of the S4, doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to performance, as so many, incorrectly, assume.
    --The resolution, isn't that much lower. I, sincerely, doubt you could tell the difference. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised to find the 920's display better still.
    --I don't believe the 920 had true OIS, as we're now seeing on the iPhone, and some Android Flagships, either. MP don't mean much. Wouldn't doubt the 920's camera being better.
    --May have 1/4 on-board storage, but just through microSD support, it could have more overall storage space than the 920. Other than that, I don't see why you're comparing them in this area. It really doesn't matter, or mean much.
    --I'll never understand the fascination with wireless charging, and this coming from a guy who gets excited over installing a new IDE.

All in all, even though the 920 is a bit old at this point, it's still strange to compare a (previous/ex) flagship device with a budget smartphone.
    --There were actual benchmark comparisons of the Lumia 830, which carries the same SoC as the 640. There was a small CPU boost with the 400, but the GPU performance on the 400 was WAY behind that of the S4. The RAM and web benches were minimally varied, but the only stat that showed any significant difference between the two was the GPU bench, where the S4 was above the 400. I'm not an *****. I know that clock speeds don't tell the full story. I was speaking to actual testing with both chips.
    --It's not meaningful, I agree. I'm simply stating that people called the 640 better, and this is another example of where it isn't (the main point I'm making here is that people called the 640 better when the hardware comparisons show otherwise).
    --What's "true OIS?" It might not have been the BEST OIS, but that doesn't mean it's fake. I think the main reason the 920 could have better images is that it's been fairly common for Lumias to launch with image quality problems fixed through firmware, whether it be contract, white balance, or low-light qualities in pictures. The 920 was the same way.
    --I'm comparing because it's a point of contention. My 920 had enough storage I needed and then some the day I bought it. I'd have to go dump another $25 (maybe more or less, haven't kept up on microSD prices of late) on a microSD card to make the 640 even a usable device (8 GB is terrible; I have something like 12.5 GB of music alone).
    --Pointing it out isn't fascination. It's a fact of technology. I find the SensorCore stuff to be pointless, but it's still something in the favor of the 640 XL. The wireless charging's a minor quality-of-life benefit (not fumbling for a cable in the dark is a minor plus).

Like I said, my point was that the 640 XL really doesn't offer superior hardware to the 920. They were released at different price points and for different markets, but I wasn't speaking to that. I was speaking to the claims that the 640 is a superior device, so I offered points to dispute that claim.
    03-02-2015 11:57 PM
    Is it? The 640 XL is supposed to launch at $245. You can go buy a 920 new on eBay for less than that (prices range from $165-250, at a glance).
    03-03-2015 12:00 AM
    Agreed. My 928 (improved 920 - sleeker body, xenon flash, better camera, amoled) worth $274 brand new from MS store before they took down the listing earlier in Feb. is arguably a better device than 830 or 640 - at least benchmark-wise. After 2 years I still have one of the better Windows phones.
    03-03-2015 12:21 AM
    Is it correct to assume the Lumia 640 XL an affordable phablet has BETTER hardware specs than an iPhone 6 plus! I can't wait to get this phone!!
    This phone does not have better specs than an iPhone 6 Plus...not even close. Don't get crazy now!
    03-03-2015 02:08 AM
    This phone does not have better specs than an iPhone 6 Plus...not even close. Don't get crazy now!
    Onboard, buddy. Totally agree. Silly to try and sell that bill of goods. The mid range 640 series can't touch the iPhones. Of course, I would rather use the 640 XL over the iPhone 6+, but I ain't normal......
    todd7900 likes this.
    03-03-2015 02:28 AM
    Yeah, I don't know why anyone would suggest such a thing. The 1520 is at least closer to the iPhone 6 Plus...
    03-03-2015 02:37 AM
    My plan was to sell my 830 and buy the flagship Windows 10 phone this Autumn. Looks like the 640 is going to drastically cut my 830's resale value so now just looking forward to getting the new OS.
    03-03-2015 06:47 AM
    I think It has GDR2 Update!
    03-03-2015 07:08 AM
    So, I'm intrigued by the 640XL (formerly the 1330?).

I've got to wonder whether MS plans to weed out some of their devices. It strikes me that if the 640XL is going to have a 14MP Pureview camera (something that exceeds November's 10MP Pureview on the 830), then we're really pushing the reset button on the various tiers of handsets that MS is planning to offer.

My big problem with the 830 was that it was overpriced (and still is to some extent). Looking at the rumored specs for the 640XL, I see no reason that it shouldn't/couldn't be offered at $349 right out of the gate. Even then, that might be overvaluing it considering how truly competitive the midrange market is starting to shape up for 2015.

In any case, it's going to be a great time to be shopping the midrange. I'm excited that there's a lot of really solid competition. I'm sure we'll all have more to say in a couple hours.
    The Lumia 830 isn't overpriced, well maybe the US Variant is but you can grab international unlocked version of it at Nokia Lumia 830 for $290USD including shipping , heck you can even get same version at Search Results for: "lumia" - Expansys USA 830 for $299 including 5 day free shipping , also the 640 XL has 14MP Carl Zeiss optics yes but not Pureview, Pureview devices come with hardware camera button,and the 830 comes with the inclusion of wireless charging also.

the 640 and the 640XL are great mid budget friendly phones ,it will grab few customers for Microsoft and the WP ecosystem but don't compare it to 830 and say it's better than the 830, 830 is best priced phone close to flagship from Microsoft, check comparison specs sheet here

Lumia 640 vs Lumia 830
    Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE vs. Nokia Lumia 830 - GSMArena.com

Lumia 640 XL vs Lumia 830
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6638
    pankaj981 likes this.
    03-03-2015 08:21 AM
    That's because its inferior
    That's because you CANNOT compare a flagship/hero device with a budget phone. Apples and Oranges.
    03-03-2015 08:55 AM
    Just a note to discourage people taking the camera resolution as a plus. MS are playing megapixel games here. A 5mp front camera? Why? 2mp is fine for 1080p. What more do you need on a front camera? My 930 is only capable of 720p and that's fine for my purposes. Anything over 1080p just means a lower quality pic as the small front sensor will not perform well when over gunned like this (in fact, I question how useful even 1080p would be as with such a small sensor 720p would likely produce a better picture). And for what reason? Madness.

The rear camera better offer pixel doubling. The only reason to use over 8mp is for prints over A4 size. In fact, few people can tell between a 6mp and 8mp A4 print, and that's close up. If only MS could restrict all front camera sensors to 2mp and all rear to 8mp whilst keeping the sensor sizes as big as possible we'd have much better cameras.
    03-03-2015 09:04 AM
    Onboard, buddy. Totally agree. Silly to try and sell that bill of goods. The mid range 640 series can't touch the iPhones. Of course, I would rather use the 640 XL over the iPhone 6+, but I ain't normal......
    He does have *some* merit though.

Equals

1. Both are same size.
    2. Same weight.
    3. Same screen type.
    4. Same screen to body ratio.
    5. Same RAM.
    6. Same storage (with microSD on XL).
    7. Almost same battery size.
    8. Same talk time.
    9. LTE cat 4 on both.
    10. Bluetooth 4.0 on both.

Only iPhone hardware advantages I see are:

1. iPhone has much higher ppi,
    2. fingerprint thingy and a few extra sensors
    3. ...and tons of quality apps.

640XL has upper hand for:
    1. 13 MP camera (8 in iPhone),
    2. 5 MP front facing (1.2 in iPhone),
    3. Much higher talk time
    4. Much higher standby time
    5. Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 ready for Windows 10 - dream about that on iPhone ;)
    6. Quad core processor (dual core in iPhone)
    03-03-2015 09:07 AM
    Assuming the same sensor sizes, that would make the iPhone cameras essentially better than the 640 cameras.
    03-03-2015 09:25 AM
    note that Lumia 640 XL LTE Dual SIM version's bettery size is 3120mAh other is 3000mAh
    03-03-2015 09:28 AM
    That's because you CANNOT compare a flagship/hero device with a budget phone. Apples and Oranges.
    I thought we were talking Apples and Lumias?!?

Just a note to discourage people taking the camera resolution as a plus. MS are playing megapixel games here. A 5mp front camera? Why? 2mp is fine for 1080p. What more do you need on a front camera? My 930 is only capable of 720p and that's fine for my purposes. Anything over 1080p just means a lower quality pic as the small front sensor will not perform well when over gunned like this (in fact, I question how useful even 1080p would be as with such a small sensor 720p would likely produce a better picture). And for what reason? Madness.
    For most situations, yes. Video calls don't really need more than a 1.2MP or 2MP camera. However, better quality selfies should get at least 5MP, with a max of 8MP. I'm not much of a selfie shooter (don't think I've ever done that), but my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law are. They have phones with 5MP front cameras and purchased them for that express purpose. You'd be surprised how many self-absorbed people will look for that.

Only iPhone hardware advantages I see are:

1. iPhone has much higher ppi,
    2. fingerprint thingy and a few extra sensors
    3. ...and tons of quality apps.

640XL has upper hand for:
    1. 13 MP camera (8 in iPhone),
    2. 5 MP front facing (1.2 in iPhone),
    3. Much higher talk time
    4. Much higher standby time
    5. Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 ready for Windows 10 - dream about that on iPhone ;)
    6. Quad core processor (dual core in iPhone)
    As far as extra sensors on iPhone, only the Barometer (which I would never use) and the Fingerprint sensor are there that the 640 XL does not have. However, the 640 XL has the magnetometer (compass) and SensorCore. I would be using the compass WAY more than the Barometer. If I need to know the barometric pressure, there are weather apps for that, and I'm going to want a lot more weather info than just the current barometric pressure. However, a compass is necessary for those hiking trips and other outings.

Let's not forget, when trying to compare a 640 XL to an iPhone 6 Plus, if you buy "off contract", then you can purchase THREE 640 XLs for the price of ONE iPhone 6 Plus. For getting your money's worth, the 640 XL would be the GO TO phone for that. If you've got to have a true flagship, then wait a bit longer. They are coming.

This phone brings phablets to the masses, and that's a good thing.
    03-03-2015 09:42 AM
85 1234