Might as Well Start the Discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
That's fine for now I was watching an 830 to buy on eBay now im letting that go and getting the 640 XL
sent from my denim licious orange nokia 930

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I've just bought an 830 and I'm already feeling a bit put out with the 640/XL announcements. But since I got it new off eBay at a much reduced price, I'm not too unhappy I guess -- I only got it to test Windows 10 anyway. The 640 could be a new best seller at that price tag.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How is the 640 XL an upgrade to the 920?

--The SoC in the 640 XL is inferior to the 920's.
--The display is 1.2" larger, yet the resolution is lower.
--The camera is of a higher resolution, but lacks OIS.
--The phone has microSD support, but it has one-fourth of the on-board storage.
--No wireless charging was mentioned, to my recollection.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It is also a lot cheaper than the 920...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
How can you guys possibly say the 640 is better than the 830/920? I can almost guarantee the screen will be inferior. Just because the camera has a higher MP doesn't mean it will be better. I guarantee it doesn't feel as premium as the 830/920 in the hand. Some things people don't seem to be realizing.

I'll gladly buy your discounted 830's just so you can buy an inferior phone. XD

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

--Actually, I've heard the SD400 is comparable to the SD S4. The fact that it has a 1.2GHz CPU, which is lower than that of the S4, doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to performance, as so many, incorrectly, assume.
--The resolution, isn't that much lower. I, sincerely, doubt you could tell the difference. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised to find the 920's display better still.
--I don't believe the 920 had true OIS, as we're now seeing on the iPhone, and some Android Flagships, either. MP don't mean much. Wouldn't doubt the 920's camera being better.
--May have 1/4 on-board storage, but just through microSD support, it could have more overall storage space than the 920. Other than that, I don't see why you're comparing them in this area. It really doesn't matter, or mean much.
--I'll never understand the fascination with wireless charging, and this coming from a guy who gets excited over installing a new IDE.

All in all, even though the 920 is a bit old at this point, it's still strange to compare a (previous/ex) flagship device with a budget smartphone.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
--Actually, I've heard the SD400 is comparable to the SD S4. The fact that it has a 1.2GHz CPU, which is lower than that of the S4, doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to performance, as so many, incorrectly, assume.
--The resolution, isn't that much lower. I, sincerely, doubt you could tell the difference. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised to find the 920's display better still.
--I don't believe the 920 had true OIS, as we're now seeing on the iPhone, and some Android Flagships, either. MP don't mean much. Wouldn't doubt the 920's camera being better.
--May have 1/4 on-board storage, but just through microSD support, it could have more overall storage space than the 920. Other than that, I don't see why you're comparing them in this area. It really doesn't matter, or mean much.
--I'll never understand the fascination with wireless charging, and this coming from a guy who gets excited over installing a new IDE.

All in all, even though the 920 is a bit old at this point, it's still strange to compare a (previous/ex) flagship device with a budget smartphone.

--There were actual benchmark comparisons of the Lumia 830, which carries the same SoC as the 640. There was a small CPU boost with the 400, but the GPU performance on the 400 was WAY behind that of the S4. The RAM and web benches were minimally varied, but the only stat that showed any significant difference between the two was the GPU bench, where the S4 was above the 400. I'm not an *****. I know that clock speeds don't tell the full story. I was speaking to actual testing with both chips.
--It's not meaningful, I agree. I'm simply stating that people called the 640 better, and this is another example of where it isn't (the main point I'm making here is that people called the 640 better when the hardware comparisons show otherwise).
--What's "true OIS?" It might not have been the BEST OIS, but that doesn't mean it's fake. I think the main reason the 920 could have better images is that it's been fairly common for Lumias to launch with image quality problems fixed through firmware, whether it be contract, white balance, or low-light qualities in pictures. The 920 was the same way.
--I'm comparing because it's a point of contention. My 920 had enough storage I needed and then some the day I bought it. I'd have to go dump another $25 (maybe more or less, haven't kept up on microSD prices of late) on a microSD card to make the 640 even a usable device (8 GB is terrible; I have something like 12.5 GB of music alone).
--Pointing it out isn't fascination. It's a fact of technology. I find the SensorCore stuff to be pointless, but it's still something in the favor of the 640 XL. The wireless charging's a minor quality-of-life benefit (not fumbling for a cable in the dark is a minor plus).

Like I said, my point was that the 640 XL really doesn't offer superior hardware to the 920. They were released at different price points and for different markets, but I wasn't speaking to that. I was speaking to the claims that the 640 is a superior device, so I offered points to dispute that claim.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. My 928 (improved 920 - sleeker body, xenon flash, better camera, amoled) worth $274 brand new from MS store before they took down the listing earlier in Feb. is arguably a better device than 830 or 640 - at least benchmark-wise. After 2 years I still have one of the better Windows phones.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This phone does not have better specs than an iPhone 6 Plus...not even close. Don't get crazy now!

Onboard, buddy. Totally agree. Silly to try and sell that bill of goods. The mid range 640 series can't touch the iPhones. Of course, I would rather use the 640 XL over the iPhone 6+, but I ain't normal......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99