Might as Well Start the Discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
My plan was to sell my 830 and buy the flagship Windows 10 phone this Autumn. Looks like the 640 is going to drastically cut my 830's resale value so now just looking forward to getting the new OS.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm intrigued by the 640XL (formerly the 1330?).

I've got to wonder whether MS plans to weed out some of their devices. It strikes me that if the 640XL is going to have a 14MP Pureview camera (something that exceeds November's 10MP Pureview on the 830), then we're really pushing the reset button on the various tiers of handsets that MS is planning to offer.

My big problem with the 830 was that it was overpriced (and still is to some extent). Looking at the rumored specs for the 640XL, I see no reason that it shouldn't/couldn't be offered at $349 right out of the gate. Even then, that might be overvaluing it considering how truly competitive the midrange market is starting to shape up for 2015.

In any case, it's going to be a great time to be shopping the midrange. I'm excited that there's a lot of really solid competition. I'm sure we'll all have more to say in a couple hours.

The Lumia 830 isn't overpriced, well maybe the US Variant is but you can grab international unlocked version of it at Nokia Lumia 830 for $290USD including shipping , heck you can even get same version at Search Results for: "lumia" - Expansys USA 830 for $299 including 5 day free shipping , also the 640 XL has 14MP Carl Zeiss optics yes but not Pureview, Pureview devices come with hardware camera button,and the 830 comes with the inclusion of wireless charging also.

the 640 and the 640XL are great mid budget friendly phones ,it will grab few customers for Microsoft and the WP ecosystem but don't compare it to 830 and say it's better than the 830, 830 is best priced phone close to flagship from Microsoft, check comparison specs sheet here

Lumia 640 vs Lumia 830
Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE vs. Nokia Lumia 830 - GSMArena.com

Lumia 640 XL vs Lumia 830
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7084&idPhone2=6638

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just a note to discourage people taking the camera resolution as a plus. MS are playing megapixel games here. A 5mp front camera? Why? 2mp is fine for 1080p. What more do you need on a front camera? My 930 is only capable of 720p and that's fine for my purposes. Anything over 1080p just means a lower quality pic as the small front sensor will not perform well when over gunned like this (in fact, I question how useful even 1080p would be as with such a small sensor 720p would likely produce a better picture). And for what reason? Madness.

The rear camera better offer pixel doubling. The only reason to use over 8mp is for prints over A4 size. In fact, few people can tell between a 6mp and 8mp A4 print, and that's close up. If only MS could restrict all front camera sensors to 2mp and all rear to 8mp whilst keeping the sensor sizes as big as possible we'd have much better cameras.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Onboard, buddy. Totally agree. Silly to try and sell that bill of goods. The mid range 640 series can't touch the iPhones. Of course, I would rather use the 640 XL over the iPhone 6+, but I ain't normal......

He does have *some* merit though.

Equals

1. Both are same size.
  2. Same weight.
  3. Same screen type.
  4. Same screen to body ratio.
  5. Same RAM.
  6. Same storage (with microSD on XL).
  7. Almost same battery size.
  8. Same talk time.
  9. LTE cat 4 on both.
  10. Bluetooth 4.0 on both.

Only iPhone hardware advantages I see are:

1. iPhone has much higher ppi,
  2. fingerprint thingy and a few extra sensors
  3. ...and tons of quality apps.

640XL has upper hand for:
  1. 13 MP camera (8 in iPhone),
  2. 5 MP front facing (1.2 in iPhone),
  3. Much higher talk time
  4. Much higher standby time
  5. Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 ready for Windows 10 - dream about that on iPhone ;)
  6. Quad core processor (dual core in iPhone)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
That's because you CANNOT compare a flagship/hero device with a budget phone. Apples and Oranges.

I thought we were talking Apples and Lumias?!?

Just a note to discourage people taking the camera resolution as a plus. MS are playing megapixel games here. A 5mp front camera? Why? 2mp is fine for 1080p. What more do you need on a front camera? My 930 is only capable of 720p and that's fine for my purposes. Anything over 1080p just means a lower quality pic as the small front sensor will not perform well when over gunned like this (in fact, I question how useful even 1080p would be as with such a small sensor 720p would likely produce a better picture). And for what reason? Madness.

For most situations, yes. Video calls don't really need more than a 1.2MP or 2MP camera. However, better quality selfies should get at least 5MP, with a max of 8MP. I'm not much of a selfie shooter (don't think I've ever done that), but my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law are. They have phones with 5MP front cameras and purchased them for that express purpose. You'd be surprised how many self-absorbed people will look for that.

3. Much higher talk time
  5. Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 ready for Windows 10 - dream about that on iPhone ;)
As far as extra sensors on iPhone, only the Barometer (which I would never use) and the Fingerprint sensor are there that the 640 XL does not have. However, the 640 XL has the magnetometer (compass) and SensorCore. I would be using the compass WAY more than the Barometer. If I need to know the barometric pressure, there are weather apps for that, and I'm going to want a lot more weather info than just the current barometric pressure. However, a compass is necessary for those hiking trips and other outings.

Let's not forget, when trying to compare a 640 XL to an iPhone 6 Plus, if you buy "off contract", then you can purchase THREE 640 XLs for the price of ONE iPhone 6 Plus. For getting your money's worth, the 640 XL would be the GO TO phone for that. If you've got to have a true flagship, then wait a bit longer. They are coming.

This phone brings phablets to the masses, and that's a good thing.

Goosinurwife

Banned
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
anything is better then iPhone 6 main reason the iPhone 6 pumps put massive doses of radiation

iPhone 6 plus SAR US 1.19 W/kg (head) 1.19 W/kg (body)

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I thought we were talking Apples and Lumias?!?

For most situations, yes. Video calls don't really need more than a 1.2MP or 2MP camera. However, better quality selfies should get at least 5MP, with a max of 8MP. I'm not much of a selfie shooter (don't think I've ever done that), but my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law are. They have phones with 5MP front cameras and purchased them for that express purpose. You'd be surprised how many self-absorbed people will look for that.

Yes, but what does one do with a 'selfie'? Such will be for screen display, surely not for print standard? Are we really planning selfies for 4K phone displays? I still say selfies at over 1080p are pointless, and at front camera sensor sizes will be WORSE QUALITY BY FAR THAN A 1080P IMAGE ANYWAY! Ye canna change the laws of physics, Captain. Heck, I suspect even a 1080p on a small front camera will struggle to look as good as a 720p image.

Don't fall for the hype. Ask the chap behind the counter what the sensor size is and then compare to pixel count. Then invariably ask for a model with a less mental pixel count. If they don't understand, sigh and ask to speak with someone else.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
As a long time 820 user I looked long and hard at the 830 and now the 640 and have decided to finally replace my 820. Processor wise they are all about the same (820 has same processor as 920/925/1020) so its a wash. Camera is probably better than the 8.7 on the 820 in both cases. Screen size is a big upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0 in both instances, plus higher resolution. 820 has wireless charging (which I don't use) so does 830 but not 640. 820 has NFC so does 830; but not 640. Have never used it once in two years. All have removeable batteries but the 820 is small at only 1650 compared to the others. 820 and 830 have duel band wifi, the 640 does not. 820 and 830 have camera buttons, 640 does not. 820 and 640 use micro sim, 830 uses nano ( I like to swap sims between my phones and use a different phone alll the time). And then the cost, 820 was 400$ when I bought it (right after they came out), 830 was 499$ and the 640 is under 200$. I think the 640 is a great buy and will do to hold me over until something really better comes along. I bought a Moto G lte for the same reason. The 830 is a very good phone; but it is not worth more than double the price of the 640. But then I might just wait and see how the price of the 830 drops when the 640/640XL drops into the market. Got a can't lose situation.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I went from my 820 to a 930. An excellent upgrade that really feels like the only non-phablet upgrade option from the 820 right now. The 640 sounds like an ace phone, but I couldn't lose amoled and the graphics power of the 820. It would still feel like a downgrade. So long as 32gig is fine (probably will be, but usb otg would be a comfort) the 930 feels like a flagship upgrade in every way (I really don't miss glance as I thought I would).

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
He does have *some* merit though.

Equals

1. Both are same size.
  2. Same weight.
  3. Same screen type.
  4. Same screen to body ratio.
  5. Same RAM.
  6. Same storage (with microSD on XL).
  7. Almost same battery size.
  8. Same talk time.
  9. LTE cat 4 on both.
  10. Bluetooth 4.0 on both.

1. iPhone is thinner
2.True
3. What does this mean? iPhone screen will be A LOT better in every way possible.
4. Don't see how this matters. Also, not taking the time to see if it is true.
5. Same amount. Unsure of type or speed of the memory in each phone.
6. Internal storage is always better. Plus, more cost to get a SD card.
7. Battery size is important but every phone uses the battery differently. Capabilities with the battery is more important.
8. Who knows. The fact is most people doesn't use their phone primarily to talk anymore.
9. Not a big deal.
10. Not a big deal.

1. Everything about the screen is a lot better.
2. TouchID actually works REALLY well.
3. Kind of a big deal.

3. Much higher talk time

1. More megapixels does not equal better. We all know the iPhone has a better camera.
2. Don't know enough about this.
3. You said they were equal up top...
4. iPhone has more power demanding parts. Also, do you really need more than 10 days of standby? At what point does it not matter. This won't be an emergency phone you just throw in the glove compartment.
5.Someone could say the same about iOS
​6. iPhone has A LOT better processor. Not even close.

Goosinurwife

Banned
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
How is the 640 XL an upgrade to the 920?

--The SoC in the 640 XL is inferior to the 920's.
--The display is 1.2" larger, yet the resolution is lower.
--The camera is of a higher resolution, but lacks OIS.
--The phone has microSD support, but it has one-fourth of the on-board storage.
--No wireless charging was mentioned, to my recollection.
I just saw the specs to the 920 and its an outdated dualcore the cpu in this 640 is an updated quadcore so it wins by default

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but what does one do with a 'selfie'? Such will be for screen display, surely not for print standard? Are we really planning selfies for 4K phone displays? I still say selfies at over 1080p are pointless, and at front camera sensor sizes will be WORSE QUALITY BY FAR THAN A 1080P IMAGE ANYWAY! Ye canna change the laws of physics, Captain. Heck, I suspect even a 1080p on a small front camera will struggle to look as good as a 720p image.

Yeah, my sister-in-law does prints fairly often, as does my mother-in-law. Put granddaughter or niece in lap, snap a selfie, print it. Do they understand why the quality isn't as good? Um... no. Do they care? They still want to see 5MP in the specs.

It's called "Marketing" and, unfortunately, has little to do with realistic laws of physics. People see 5MP and automatically say, "Ooh, that looks so much nicer than my 2MP." It's a placebo.

You brought up laws of physics, so I'll quote a great scientist to explain why this marketing ploy works.

Albert Einstein said:
There are two things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not positive about the universe.

Just go with it. The price won't be affected much unless they manage to increase sensor size somehow, which would affect the display real estate, which would then affect sales. I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm just glad I don't do selfies.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
You have to look at more than the number of cores. After checking a number of sites it seems the 920 processor is at least as good if not better than the 640.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes