640 vs. 640 XL

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I rarely used my physical button on my 920. I found the effort required to press the button always made the shot move and come out worse than using the screen button.

But I always used it for quick launch - that needs improving for sure.

I've made the camera button non-functional on my 520. Tried using it for shots, couldn't quite find a sweet pressing action. In the process, guess must have been coz of my usage method ( couldn't quite get it to shoot and used some force), the button became dead. But still feel a really good quality shooter button would be welcome. Not quite feeling it's loss in a device as the 640 XL. Higher end phones, especially lumias with their advanced photography tools can't miss out on this button though.

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there's any significant value of a dedicated camera button other than it is useful to launch the camera app. I have never used the camera buttons on my L925 because pictures came out blurry so I never used it.

I think the choice between 640 and 640XL will boil down to usability and user preference for screen size. Some people would want the 5" and others the 5.7" but I see more people are going to buy the 640XL because of its size and bigger battery capacity. I myself is considering the 640XL.

I'm was looking for a secondary device that has a big enough screen for entertainment and in-car navigation while at the same time be portable enough for photography with a good enough camera. Enter the 640 XL. It's just perfect for me and since I was adamant for a windows device this seems to be the way to go. Think people will fall for this great device.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
for everyone saying it not having dedicated camera button is a fail, why would it be a fail? it doesn't have pureview feature, only pureview cameras have dedicated camera buttons, the 640 and 640xl are decent mid range phones and it would bring more people into the Windows Ecosystem

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for. :) Have you tried using a camera on an android phone? Press both the power and volume-down buttons at the same time.

Insanely difficult to do. Love that third button on the higher-end Lumias. My old 520 has it and that's going to be a must-have for my next phone. Really had my fingers crossed for it on the 640. Hoped msoft would have seen the errors of their ways with the 535, 635 etc. Bummer, knew I should expect too much from them.
That's not what I'm wishing. I have already used that, two buttons to be pressed is stupid, I agree. I'm wishing for only volume up button to take a shot, and only when camera is on.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd want to hold off one way or the other until I got to feel and play with both. Which sounds like a cop out, but phones are such a personal thing that you're going to use all of the time, that I don't see how anyone could buy one without getting a tactile feel for it first.

Parazels

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I rarely used my physical button on my 920. I found the effort required to press the button always made the shot move and come out worse than using the screen button.

But I always used it for quick launch - that needs improving for sure.

That's what I was going to write! I found it simpler just to tap on the screen instead of pushing the tough camera button.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay okay.............and i thought that i was negative........

Removing the dedicated button is a epic fail, why?
People should have a choise to use the button or tap the screen,
now they are forced to tapp the screen........that button was unique and made the lumia's distinguished from other devices.

The xl version is litterly a xl version of a phone ( just like the 1320 and the 1520 )..........these things are sold to be phablets but they are infact just bigger phones, nothing special about it.
Phablets should be unique, just like the Samsung Phablets ( special apps and with stylus suport with special functions ).
WP don't even take advantage of these bigger screens, it doesn't matter if you look at a 4", 5" or a 6" inch screen it just looks exactly the same only bigger.
My 1320 does exactly the same as a 520, it just suports more games,
but thats only because of the ram.
Don't get me wrong, i do love my little 1320, but not as a phablet.

I am stil hoping for a 6" or 7" MS tablet with ful windows and with celphone support.
Waterproof and 20 mp pureview would be nice to.

But cmon Microsoft, make my day and build a true phablet.
I bet my mother in law for it that it would sell a lot better for business use.
Even when i lose, you still may have here............

On the positive side, nowing all this i can save some extra's for whenever they desided to build a phone witch i realy like.
I truly think they are on the good track, but so now and than they shoot some blanks.

Ow.........and make the red color real red and not orange ( just a minor detail ).

Pearcey125

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
For me the higher screen resolution of the 640 is more attractive than a bigger screen (5 inches is fine) just hope the 640 has a decent enough battery to get through a day.

Again for me, 8MP is fine for the camera and still an upgrade from my 635.

All depends on what you want. I like games, movies and surfing on my phone. So a better ppi screen is more of a welcome feature.

Also the XL might just be too big. In terms of size and price.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay okay.............and i thought that i was negative........

Removing the dedicated button is a epic fail, why?
People should have a choise to use the button or tap the screen,
now they are forced to tapp the screen........that button was unique and made the lumia's distinguished from other devices.

The xl version is litterly a xl version of a phone ( just like the 1320 and the 1520 )..........these things are sold to be phablets but they are infact just bigger phones, nothing special about it.
Phablets should be unique, just like the Samsung Phablets ( special apps and with stylus suport with special functions ).
WP don't even take advantage of these bigger screens, it doesn't matter if you look at a 4", 5" or a 6" inch screen it just looks exactly the same only bigger.
My 1320 does exactly the same as a 520, it just suports more games,
but thats only because of the ram.
Don't get me wrong, i do love my little 1320, but not as a phablet.

I am stil hoping for a 6" or 7" MS tablet with ful windows and with celphone support.
Waterproof and 20 mp pureview would be nice to.

But cmon Microsoft, make my day and build a true phablet.
I bet my mother in law for it that it would sell a lot better for business use.
Even when i lose, you still may have here............

On the positive side, nowing all this i can save some extra's for whenever they desided to build a phone witch i realy like.
I truly think they are on the good track, but so now and than they shoot some blanks.

Ow.........and make the red color real red and not orange ( just a minor detail ).

On the other hand, I'm happy with a big screen. It is much easier for reading and better for entertainment. I know WP is nothing like the Note 4 with split screens and stylus etc. But if I want to make use of a big screen, why would I split the screen into 2 smaller viewable apps on the screen?? This is not a computer desktop. Even on a desktop, I don't ever use the split screen apps capability on Windows 8. I prefer using an app at its maximum viewing size.

Now sometimes I do go back to my old and trusty 1020 with the tiny 4.5" screen. And believe me, it's a pain to do reading on it. Manga, web sites, Flipboard, RSS readering, etc etc all looking so tiny! Having a big screen is not "just supporting more games" but also much better user experience. Try using 520 for a day instead of your 1320 and you will understand what I meant.

Anyways, I will be getting a Cyan 640 when it is available. A 5" is good enough and easy for single hand operations, although I prefer it to be a 5.5" instead. Having a 1520, I'm not going for another 5.7" (640 XL). Also, don't worry that "these are just bigger phones" because when W10 comes, they will be great devices with the universal apps on bigger screen sizes. I will like to see more sentences when reading emails on Outlook on a big screen. :evil:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you at the readability on these screens.
Its a joy when your getting older and the eyesite is losing the macrovision ;-)
I do believe that 5" is a good format for most users, somekind of a sweet spot if it gets to "portable" size.
Bud hate the idea of beeing forced to use a smaller screensize then my 1320.
I think that the 830/930 are also great devices, would be better if the 930 had a sd card support and ofcourse a tiny bigger screen, but than again its pure personal and so does every one else has there own opinion about whats great or good.
They cant make everybody al at once happy with just one device.

I also agree that a bigger screen also gives a better user experience.
But it also would be nice to have some specific phablet functions, like the stylus support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos