How To turn it ON !!! Dead battery for several days

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I'm late to the party.

First, a little information about Lithium Ion batteries that has not been discussed in this thread, that you need to know about very much. Everyone needs to know this information, very few people do.

#1: The charging circuitry for Lithium Ion batteries is different than other batteries, and it will not send a charge if no charge is detected. For all the circuitry knows, there is no battery present, so it will not charge.
#2: If the battery ever dies completely, it cannot be charged in a traditional manner (with a charger.)

The ONLY solution if this is the case is to "jump start" the battery. I have done this with a number of Lithium Ion batteries for a number of devices. Never had this solution to fail yet. It ONLY works with batteries that you can gain access to, so if you want to do it on a 1020, that means using special service tools, disassembling the phone, and accessing the battery directly. If it is soldered into place, and I'm not sure about the 1020 on this, then you would have to remove the battery by desoldering the battery. That has to be done very carefully and at the lowest temperature possible to melt the solder. Once the procedure is performed, you would have to solder it back. Some devices actually have a removable battery once you get past the phone's seal. That would make life a whole lot easier.

Now, once you have the battery out, hopefully it is labeled properly. You have to determine which contact on the battery is "positive" and which is "negative". Get a spare USB charger, cut off the tip, and expose the wires, careful not to touch them together. The positive wire will need to go to the positive contact on the battery, and negative to negative. Plug in the charger and charge it in this fashion for 5 to 10 minutes. Disconnect, and put the battery back into the device.

Reassemble the phone and charge normally. It will take several hours, but the "jump start" should have given it enough charge to enable it to now be chargeable by the phone's charger.

On a sealed phone, this is not for the feint of heart. You may not wish to try this. I bought a 10 year old PDA with a Lithium Ion battery off the internet once. It was still new in the packaging and had never been charged. The charge from the factory was completely gone after 10 years on the shelf, and I was able to bring it back to life with this method. My wife actually uses this PDA to do her grocery shopping now. She refuses to get a modern smart phone.

Best of luck. Hopefully if this doesn't help you with your 1020, it will help someone else with a removable battery in the future. One thing I always do is hold out for a phone with the specs I want which MUST include user replaceable battery. If it is sealed, I don't want it. Too many hassles, like in your case.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I'm late to the party.

First, a little information about Lithium Ion batteries that has not been discussed in this thread, that you need to know about very much. Everyone needs to know this information, very few people do.

#1: The charging circuitry for Lithium Ion batteries is different than other batteries, and it will not send a charge if no charge is detected. For all the circuitry knows, there is no battery present, so it will not charge.
#2: If the battery ever dies completely, it cannot be charged in a traditional manner (with a charger.)

The ONLY solution if this is the case is to "jump start" the battery. I have done this with a number of Lithium Ion batteries for a number of devices. Never had this solution to fail yet. It ONLY works with batteries that you can gain access to, so if you want to do it on a 1020, that means using special service tools, disassembling the phone, and accessing the battery directly. If it is soldered into place, and I'm not sure about the 1020 on this, then you would have to remove the battery by desoldering the battery. That has to be done very carefully and at the lowest temperature possible to melt the solder. Once the procedure is performed, you would have to solder it back. Some devices actually have a removable battery once you get past the phone's seal. That would make life a whole lot easier.

Now, once you have the battery out, hopefully it is labeled properly. You have to determine which contact on the battery is "positive" and which is "negative". Get a spare USB charger, cut off the tip, and expose the wires, careful not to touch them together. The positive wire will need to go to the positive contact on the battery, and negative to negative. Plug in the charger and charge it in this fashion for 5 to 10 minutes. Disconnect, and put the battery back into the device.

Reassemble the phone and charge normally. It will take several hours, but the "jump start" should have given it enough charge to enable it to now be chargeable by the phone's charger.

On a sealed phone, this is not for the feint of heart. You may not wish to try this. I bought a 10 year old PDA with a Lithium Ion battery off the internet once. It was still new in the packaging and had never been charged. The charge from the factory was completely gone after 10 years on the shelf, and I was able to bring it back to life with this method. My wife actually uses this PDA to do her grocery shopping now. She refuses to get a modern smart phone.

Best of luck. Hopefully if this doesn't help you with your 1020, it will help someone else with a removable battery in the future. One thing I always do is hold out for a phone with the specs I want which MUST include user replaceable battery. If it is sealed, I don't want it. Too many hassles, like in your case.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to do this. #RemoveBatteryInNextFlagship

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It's an integrated protection from undervoltage, which can cause lithium based batteries to explode or melt if charged again. Try a soft reset if it doesn't work buy another battery and replace it yourself, it's cheap and easy

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Ya i think it's quickly exhausted. It's not removable battery. I also tried with samsung Mobile charger & different charging outlet. No I did not try that method. is it effective ?
Instead of asking if it is effective, why not try the method described??
My phone is fine. Yours is not.
Charge for 15 minutes then disconnect, then charge for 15 minutes, then disconnect. Repeat until you've run out of patience then try to start your phone.
Can't hurt. Then you can tell us if it is effective!

Black Buzzard

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeW I have done it. :amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze: I put the phone in a cold place yesterday Just have connected to my laptop with LSRT few minutes ago and I'm astonished to get Nokia Logo on welcome screen :love: Thanks Every1. Thanks a lot. So please don't forget to share your suggetion to avoid this siuation.

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeW I have done it. :amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze::amaze: I put the phone in a cold place yesterday Just have connected to my laptop with LSRT few minutes ago and I'm astonished to get Nokia Logo on welcome screen :love: Thanks Every1. Thanks a lot. So please don't forget to share your suggetion to avoid this siuation.

Did you really put it in a freezer overnight? I may try it if the guy in local phone store cannot fix it. The only method I tried was to put my phone with screen facing on the floor, since it was a really cold day, and connected to charger in the morning but still failed.

Btw, what is LSRT?

Black Buzzard

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Did you really put it in a freezer overnight? I may try it if the guy in local phone store cannot fix it. The only method I tried was to put my phone with screen facing on the floor, since it was a really cold day, and connected to charger in the morning but still failed.

Btw, what is LSRT?

it's not so cold. At Room temperature. LSRT [ Lumia Software Recovery Tool ] = microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
There are so many Techniques. :sweaty: i TRIED MOST of those without disassembling.
Please be more specific if you want this thread to benefit others.
Yes/No answers as these threads get out of hand and if there were one compiled post marked SOLVED that would also be of benefit for future searches.
Did you try:
The "jolt" charge - 15 minutes charge then off then 15 minutes charge and repeat?
The freezer technique?
The higher voltage charger?

esit2t

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Oh I really so happy buzzard ...I take my phone from repairman and he couldn't fix it l now I have test your suggestion and I hope fix it....

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me once. The phone battery died and would not charge through the wall plug charger.

I plugged it into my PC with USB --> microUSB cable. After afew minutes or more, the Windows logo starting blinking. I forgot for how long. But eventually the phone charged enough to turn itself on.

I then returned it to the wall plug charger and everything has been fine since.

Hope that works for you.

Good luck.

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So local shop could not fix it...thus I gave to Nokia Service Center to check last week. Today got the news from them saying the main core (dunno if it is the correct translation by my staff since I don't speak local language here) is broken, and the fee to fix it is 75% of the new Lumia 1020 phone.
So now I am waiting for the successor of Lumia 1020 and try to cope my life without good phone camera...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos