Pictures & Videos Taken With My Lumia 640

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Had a few picks stacked up to share...

I did a quick meal. Diced chicken breast with a curry rub and some chunks of sweet baby bell pepper along with saffron cous cous, golden raisins and pine nuts. Camera 360 Sight, cropped in Polarr.

Sight_2016_06_11_185655_144.jpeg

Camera360 Sight, cropped in Polarr. Our latest addition to the decor.

Sight_2016_06_12_212101_277.jpeg

Camera360 Sight. Hydrangea in my mother-in-law's yard.

Sight_2016_06_19_120701_507.jpg

Camera, forced HDR, best lighting tweak. A fun cake at Walmart.

WP_20160607_14_56_40_Rich.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Problem: Shooting things at a distance is not a strong point with this camera. Zoom is 4x in Camera App and degrades the image. Likewise cropping in on the 1x image reveals flaws and makes the image less than ideal.

Original: Camera App, auto settings, 4x digital zoom.

WP_20160629_09_25_55_Pro.jpg

I ran the image through Polarr Pro and cleaned it up. Adjustments to temperature, saturation, clarity and denoise color/luminance, This is still not pretty when you expand the image on PC, but is much nicer on the surface and IMHO has a cleaner, clearer look.

WP_20160629_09_25_55_Pro.jpeg

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
The drive home
WP_20160701_17_08_00_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Boho as #$*%
WP_20160701_19_32_54_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Hold 'em or Fold 'em. Just don't get too close.
WP_20160630_17_53_43_Pro_LI.jpg

L640 + Lumia Creative Studio + Serif PhotoPlus x8 as always.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Camera, forced HDR, auto Flash.

I took the DNG with Flash file, converted to JPG with Fotor and tweaked it in Polarr Pro.

View attachment 128310

That's right, DNG with a Lumia 640: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gu...141-[w10m]-enable-dng-capture-your-phone.html

Well that's a nice surprise feature that I would only have found out because I frequent here :smile:

I wonder why it was never enabled though? Is it because Microsoft didn't want a support headache with users, accidentally toggling it on, wondering what these strange large files consuming all their space were? :grin:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well that's a nice surprise feature that I would only have found out because I frequent here :smile:

I wonder why it was never enabled though? Is it because Microsoft didn't want a support headache with users, accidentally toggling it on, wondering what these strange large files consuming all their space were? :grin:

The Lumia 640 is an 8GB Storage device, and the processing is relatively slow. People would complain about "not enough storage" and "camera saves too slow" constantly.

However, this is going to be great for me. I have a few "special" pictures that I would rather eek out every bit of quality that I can, since my wife hasn't agreed to buy me a Lumia 950XL. ;)

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 640 is an 8GB Storage device, and the processing is relatively slow. People would complain about "not enough storage" and "camera saves too slow" constantly.

However, this is going to be great for me. I have a few "special" pictures that I would rather eek out every bit of quality that I can, since my wife hasn't agreed to buy me a Lumia 950XL. ;)
I forgot about the processing speed of a large file.

It's probably a feature I wouldn't use that often but since you can toggle it on and off, it's definitely a nice feature to have :smile:

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
There's no processing done to the DNGs. That is exactly the point of a RAW sensor dump. They get written nearly instantly on my microSDHC card (UHS-I, Class 10+). The bulk of the processing time is spent (as before) on processing the Living Image + HDR JPG.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

From the dedicated thread:

Outstanding Question and one I'd not thought to look at.

So I keep my Pics going to Internal Storage anyway since W10M started.

I just now went out into full sunlight to test this.

Using Internal storage on a Lumia 640, I made sure that DNG was on, Living Images was on and HDR was on... Locked up on the second pic with "Saving" screen and took about 20 seconds to process.

Internal storage > Living Images off (my default anyway) > DNG on > HDR on. Took 9 pics before I got the "Saving" screen.

Internal storage > Living Images off > HDR off > DNG on. Took 10 pics before I got the "Saving" screen.

The last two "Saving" screens resolved quicker. No dropped shots.

No crashes.

Note that I was banging away on the capture button pretty fast...

YMMV

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There's no processing done to the DNGs. That is exactly the point of a RAW sensor dump. They get written nearly instantly on my microSDHC card (UHS-I, Class 10+). The bulk of the processing time is spent (as before) on processing the Living Image + HDR JPG.
When I said processing speed of a large file, I guess I meant as in saving as I knew RAW were not processed, although I did wonder if it was really that significant. Nice to see my favorite simple photo editor irfanview handles all RAW types too.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
While there is no "processing of the image," there is CPU power needed to act as storage controller in order to move the data from RAM to Storage. Lumia 950 will have a higher-end chipset, thereby a higher-end write speed to the internal storage. Lumia 640 is going to write slower. Fact.

Processing-time, to one who has a degree in Computer Science, does not mean the time the CPU spends processing an image, but the time it takes the Central "Processing" Unit (CPU) to perform ANY task, and that includes acting as a traffic cop to get data from RAM to storage.

While it is minimal, remember that the data pathways are faster on the SD800 series compared to the SD400 series chipsets. It's not just the CPU, it's storage controller, RAM controller, everything. System on a Chip. One system has higher clock speeds and better throughput than the other.

Try saving a 6MP DNG on a 1520 compared to a 640, and you'll see a huge difference in performance.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I stepped outside last night to take some trash to the dumpster... Fantastic sky. Here's a couple of the pics, first the HDR shot unaltered and then the post process from DNG.

WP_20160710_20_38_28_Rich.jpgDNG_evplus_Fotor_crop_landscape.jpegWP_20160710_20_39_39_Rich.jpgDNG_evplus_Fotor_lomo-fx.jpeg

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Queen Anne's Lace
WP_20160716_20_23_21_Rich_LI__highres.ev0.jpg
I had no idea that the flower on the plant could flower further. Apparently, that solitary red flowerette will be joined by others at some point this season. I hope to catch it when it is fully in bloom.

L640 - DNG. Converted/Edited in Serif PhotoPlus x8 as always.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Sunflower at Night
WP_20160803_23_24_22_Rich_LI (2).jpg
Snapped this particularly photogenic Sunflower outside my local supermarket last night.

L640 - Rich Capture + Flash [Manual Lighting Blend]. Edited solely in Lumia Creative Studio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb