Unintended consequences...

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Worth mentioning that the 930 has a better battery than the 830 and although some early revisions reported overheating (and so poor battery use) I can confirm that I see no such issues with h/w revision 2.0.0.3. The 930 also has an easily replaceable battery. I know, the spec says it isn't removable, but it really is. The back's no harder to get off than an 820 and then swapping out the old battery is easy.

Personally, I stick a large power vault battery at ~8000mAh in my bag just in case, but I rarely need it. It is more a convenience than a necessity.

Coming from an 820, my 930 feels like it has masses of battery to spare. The lack of SD slot is more of a thing than rumored battery issues that are not really a thing on current h/w revisions.
Sorry Andy, but you are wrong mate. The demands of a higher screen resolution coupled with a more powerful and draining chipset mean the 930's battery life is significantly shorter under use Tha the 830's slightly smaller unit. GSMarena put the difference at something like 20hrs of usage. I have both phones and my experience backs those numbers up. The 930 can drain very quickly with the screen on and yes my 930 is bang up to date.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Andy, but you are wrong mate. The demands of a higher screen resolution coupled with a more powerful and draining chipset mean the 930's battery life is significantly shorter under use Tha the 830's slightly smaller unit. GSMarena put the difference at something like 20hrs of usage. I have both phones and my experience backs those numbers up. The 930 can drain very quickly with the screen on and yes my 930 is bang up to date.

Hey man Paul, I inboxed you. If you're interested in selling the 930 please message me back.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I always thought that a removable battery was a necessity. Then a couple years ago I hesitantly bought a phone without a removable battery because the phone otherwise had what I wanted.

As it turns out, I no longer desire the feature, and it does not at all factor into my decision of whether or not to buy a phone. In fact, in a way it's better without because it makes the phone a bit more compact. I'm guessing this is at least part of the reason that iPhones have never had a removable battery.
I had a battery partially fail on an Android device and was pretty happy that it was removable. Out with the old, in with the new. One minute, job done. While I don't consider a removable battery a "must have", it can be a "nice to have".

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I purchase my phones outright, no contracts and no warranties, and I've had to replace a few batteries. Saved me having to junk the entire phone or pay a lot for a battery swap. Some batteries are just defective. For me it's a must-have spec along with removable storage. If the phone doesn't have those two items I just don't even look at it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, it is easy to get sucked into the specs war but at the end of the day most handsets above the very basic appear to have very smooth and stable UIs these days and the Snapdragon 400 whilst constantly being sniffed at by almost every reviewer I read does an excellent job. I picked my mint condition 830 up on ebay for ?182 ($280)with all the shells and a DC-50 wireless charger thrown in. Insane value for a handset this good.

Care to share the name of the seller? :winktongue:

That is an insane bargain! :shocked:

Having a top of the line device and not utilising it's full potential is a waste of money. There are many users who would be sufficiently served by a low end / middle range device that includes most that are using the latest note, galaxy and iphone.

The 830 is a great all-rounder and should serve you well until you choose to sell it or move to another model.

What's the battery life like?

The reason I ask is because my L920's battery is now truly showing it's age.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is pretty good compared to 20 series. I've run a 920, 925, 930 and 1020 and it surpasses them all by a distance. I caned it the first day I had it and still had 47% when I put it down after an 17hr day picking it up and mucking about with it a lot (as you do with a new phone). I also have an HTC M8 running android which it doesn't seem quite as long lasting as so there are some points of reference....better than average but not up with some of the big boys. It will be charged every other day on my usage pattern which is a first for me with a Lumia.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is pretty good compared to 20 series. I've run a 920, 925, 930 and 1020 and it surpasses them all by a distance. I caned it the first day I had it and still had 47% when I put it down after an 17hr day picking it up and mucking about with it a lot (as you do with a new phone). I also have an HTC M8 running android which it doesn't seem quite as long lasting as so there are some points of reference....better than average but not up with some of the big boys. It will be charged every other day on my usage pattern which is a first for me with a Lumia.

That is pretty impressive!
How is the screen mirroring compared to the 930?

murix

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll concur with the thoughts here. I have a 920, 925, 830, and bought my girlfriend a 1520 for the large screen and camera. I also had one of my good friends picked up a 930 because he is on Verizon which I've played with extensively.

I love my 830. Size, battery, metal casing, removable SD, glance. I also think 720p is plenty on this size screen. I have a surface pro 3 and MacBook 13 pro with super high resolution and text and crispness don't feel any worse at 720p on a 5" screen. Pixel density is plenty high.

Of all the devices, my 830 by far gets the best battery life. I passed on the HTC, which is nice and definitely noticeably faster, as is the 1520 and 930, but not because the 830 feels slow. On the contrary. The 830 I'd great. They just feel faster, which is amazing. But I'm also not a heavy gamer, at least on my phone, so it works for me. I prefer longer battery life and lighter weight. Windows phone runs well on slower processors.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Yup, you will find various handsets that can beat the 830 on most things but as an all round package it is pretty damn awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05