Anybody use their 830 without a case?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I use no case on my 830, and it has had a bad tumbler drop on pavement. Luckily, the screen is undamaged, but the metal sides got a few nicks. The phone goes in my front pocket, alone. Imho, a case adds too much bulk, and hides a nice piece of hardware. Thinking about it, if the metal sides had grippy texture (like metal flashlights), it would help alot...

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for 3 months now and have never had a case or screen protector on it. No issues at all. Still looks new.

The phone is somewhat more slippery than what I was used to, but once you're accustomed to how it feels and acts in the hand, there's no problem.

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't use any case (cause i dind't found any store with one in my city), I'm using it for a month.
Dropped two times and I'm impressed how the metal almost doesn't bent/scratches. But I'm a bit sad
about how the buttons (power and camera) get oxidated with time, mine has a lot of little black points....

Prathamesh Tambe

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't use any case (cause i dind't found any store with one in my city), I'm using it for a month.
Dropped two times and I'm impressed how the metal almost doesn't bent/scratches. But I'm a bit sad
about how the buttons (power and camera) get oxidated with time, mine has a lot of little black points....

A pic pls, it may help future buyers

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
How can there possibly be an answer to this thread that makes any sense, let alone the question itself? All phones/ tablets/ etc can and will break if dropped without a protective case. It's all about luck.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Its about everyday use, not being dropped. Obviously nobody wants to drop their devices and willingly tests how they fair after one. I'm referring to everyday careful use.

BiggishTuba558

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I use a case for mine because aluminium borders are very weak. I suggest you a transparent case like the Terrapin gel case. I bought it via eBay and it doesn't sacrifice the smartphone design and lightness. It's also cheap.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
How can there possibly be an answer to this thread that makes any sense, let alone the question itself? All phones/ tablets/ etc can and will break if dropped without a protective case. It's all about luck.

Nothing wrong with discussing experiences and preferences.

No case is going to offer 100% protection and many offer very little. And devices do differ in how easily they damage.

I prefer the added risk of going without for the looks, comfort, and reduced bulk.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Well said!

No case is going to offer 100% protection and many offer very little. And devices do differ in how easily they damage.

I prefer the added risk of going without for the looks, comfort, and reduced bulk.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

The problem with the "devices do differ in how easily they damage" theory is this doesn't happen in a controlled environment. One cannot control how a phone will land when dropped. It's still all about luck. Go naked to look cool, be ready to pay the price.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The problem with the "devices do differ in how easily they damage" theory is this doesn't happen in a controlled environment. One cannot control how a phone will land when dropped. It's still all about luck. Go naked to look cool, be ready to pay the price.

Jesus Christ. I would have left it alone until the condescending "Go naked to be cool" remark.

Of course it's about luck. I never said otherwise. The fact is some prefer, while knowing the risks, to go without a case and/or screen protector for various reasons. What the hell is wrong with that? This has been well discussed for every device, across every forum on the net, for years. What's wrong with discussing the same for 830?

And what "theory"? Some phones are tougher than others. Period. So, again, what's wrong with an 830 owner asking for experiences from other 830 owners.

If you want to be dismayed and befuddled by the prospect of a naked phone, then feel free to be so and feel free to say so. But, leave the patronizing attitude out of it.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Although many people complain about the phone being slippery without a case, I have yet to find a phone like that, I mean, how hard is it to hold a phone ?!
Either way I use mine naked, it's nicer that way 😉

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself! Never dropped one yet. Somebody went to a lot of effort designing the thing to look good. An old aunt of mine used to cover her chairs in plastic so they wouldn't wear...looked and felt awful to sit on. Putting a crappy plastic covering over my phone will reduce the risk of damage but I would rather enjoy this thing of technological beauty and function as intended...and just be careful.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have had my L830 since Nov. 7 and have never used a case. So far, no problems. I've only dropped it one, its pointy corner landed on my toe. Good for the phone, but bad for my toe!!! The phone is so sleep and pleasant to hold, I didn't want to make it thicker by adding a case. So far the plastic looks fine, there are a few tiny scratches on the black metal but I don't mind. It's a machine that I use every day, after all, so I'm OK if it looks like I use it. I do you a screen protector and am glad that I do. In fact just yesterday the screen protector got a giant scratch in it - not sure how, I think I must have had my keys in the same pocket as my phone. If I hadn't had a protector, that would likely by a big scratch on the screen itself, and I would be broken hearted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6