The heft of windows phone

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey All!

My contract is soon to expire (at the beginning of next month) and though I'm not really looking for a new phone (currently use the Lumia 1020) as I love my current phone and am more than happy to wait till the next proper flagship comes out. I was comparing the specs of various androids and Windows Phones released at the same time. And here are some interesting things I noticed:

Sony Xperia Z2 & Lumia 930:
The Xperia beats the Lumia in most of its spec. The battery is much bigger, the processor better it's waterproof and even the camera (in terms of pixels slightly more) is numerically better.
Despite all this it weighs less.

I don't have any problems with the specs of WP, but I wouldn't mind Microsoft cutting the bulk a bit. Don't you think? Others can do it, and still have better specs, so why can't WP?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, everything factors into weight, not just those things.

The 930's camera has OIS, perhaps its different material choice? Perhaps its how its designed? Maybe it just isn't built as tanky.

I wouldn't really let a deciding factor be a phone's weight. (well, I do use a 920)

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, everything factors into weight, not just those things.

The 930's camera has OIS, perhaps its different material choice? Perhaps its how its designed? Maybe it just isn't built as tanky.

I wouldn't really let a deciding factor be a phone's weight. (well, I do use a 920)

Neither would I. I used a 920 for a good couple of years too. But It's more the ability to do it. If it can be done, then it should be. If it's possible, then why not? People always say the battery adds a lot of weight. The battery in the Z2 is about 600mAh larger than the 930, but the latter weighs more overall.
Sure I totally agree with your comment regarding the materials as well.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the obsession with weight.

My 2 year old can play games for ages whilst holding my 920/930, so a grown adult should have no issues.

Personally i find picking up the missus' iphone after my 930, feels like a kids toy.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not windows phone causing it to be "heavy", it's the design choice of Lumia 930. I like having some weight.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
As a Lumia 930 owner, I much prefer the chunky feel of the phone compared to lightweight flimsy feeling of other smartphones.
Been a Sony Xperia smartphone owner in the past, never again!

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Sony Xperia is now a byword for poor design & build quality, add in Google Android an operating system & company I want NO part of.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sony Xperia is now a byword for poor design & build quality, add in Google Android an operating system & company I want NO part of.

One of my friends has a Z2, and I quite like the design. It's not as nice as my 1020 (in my opinion), but it isn't bad either. I'm not fond of android, and haven't really used it since the days of the HTC Desire HD, so don't really have much to say on that matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)