Orderthe new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021 right here!

09-19-2015 12:33 PM
755 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    Do we know this for sure?
    As of today Microsoft says, "Only phones running Lumia Denim (OS version 8.10.14219.341, or higher) can take advantage of the upgrade to Windows 10. By keeping your phone software updated you can get fresh new features and improvements, and resolve many issues. You can check your current software release from Settings > extras+info, and the current OS version from Settings > about > more information. Read more about Lumia Denim Update."

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=Lna-WvLw.
    RumoredNow and anon(123856) like this.
    08-23-2015 01:57 PM
    I have the Nokia 830 RM-983_1001. I got this phone from Microsoft for free but had to go with ATT 2 year contract.
    It has OS version 8.10.14219.341 on it. I put Win 10 beta on it for a short time but was to unstable and use the Nokia recover tool to put it back to 8.1. I heard that some have use windows insider to put the 8.1 update 2 but said you had to set to the slow ring to get it then delete the app before it get to the win 10 update. Fast ring would take you right to win 10. Now would I be able to get the update with this software ver?
    08-23-2015 09:49 PM
    Thanks. Verizon gave me $200.00 for it as a trade in and I figured I wasn't going to be able to do any better than that especially now that AT&T's 830s have an extra layer of taint on them. On top of screwing us on the update and possibly Win 10 they simultaneously lowered the resale value. Good work AT&T!
    I just looked at AT&T's buy back offers for the Lumia 830. For the RM-983, they are currently offering up to $35. For the RM-985, up to $110. For the RM-984, up to $150. I'm sure the fact that they normally carry the RM-983 in their inventory may factor into the the offer pricing, but that still seems like a very big discrepancy between different versions of the 830.
    RumoredNow and anon(123856) like this.
    08-24-2015 10:25 AM
    As I suspected, BBB complaints would be handled differently with varying results. I have been told that I cannot get a refund. Interestingly enough, I got a call form the same AT&T Executive office rep who I had previously dealt with prior to trying the BBB route. He is sticking to his guns.

However, he has offered me an option to exchange the 830 for something else that they offer. So, my question for the masses is if I should consider this offer. That limits me to either the 640XL or the 635 if I stay with WP. Are either of those worthwhile options? I have until Monday to decide.
    I been meaning to provide an update to this fiasco...

It turns out that their offer was as bad as everything else they have done so far. His idea of an exchange was far different than mine. It seems that he was expecting me to simply accept the $250 phone as a replacement for the $450 one and call it even. After all, my 830 is "used" and the 640XL would be "brand new." Apparently eight months use of a somewhat defective 830 is worth $200 in their minds. I guess my future business is not worth taht much to them. Go figure.
    anon(123856) likes this.
    08-24-2015 10:44 AM
    they tried something similar a few years back with my defective HTC Titan (Windows Phone 7, 5 exchanges, lemon law kicked in at 3 in Florida)
    They had "no equivalents" and offered low end android devices. Told them they were nuts as they had the Lumia 900 and Titan 2, so there were equivalents in stock.

7 days later, I had a new Lumia 900 in hand, and they didn't want the Titan back.

My point? expecting an equal value exchange would be tough, but an equivalent exchange based on specs is more than possible.

I wish AT&T or Microsoft would just give us an official answer on this.
    08-24-2015 11:42 AM
    I been meaning to provide an update to this fiasco...

It turns out that their offer was as bad as everything else they have done so far. His idea of an exchange was far different than mine. It seems that he was expecting me to simply accept the $250 phone as a replacement for the $450 one and call it even. After all, my 830 is "used" and the 640XL would be "brand new." Apparently eight months use of a somewhat defective 830 is worth $200 in their minds. I guess my future business is not worth taht much to them. Go figure.
    According to the rep I spoke with they apparently don't care if they lose customers. When I asked them directly about losing customers they offered no response. I also said to them that I expected the bean counters figured in x amount of lost customers to their "business plan" of not publishing the update. Again, no response. I wonder what kind of people can do a job like that, where all you do is **** people off all day...
    08-24-2015 01:07 PM
    they tried something similar a few years back with my defective HTC Titan (Windows Phone 7, 5 exchanges, lemon law kicked in at 3 in Florida)
    They had "no equivalents" and offered low end android devices. Told them they were nuts as they had the Lumia 900 and Titan 2, so there were equivalents in stock.

7 days later, I had a new Lumia 900 in hand, and they didn't want the Titan back.

My point? expecting an equal value exchange would be tough, but an equivalent exchange based on specs is more than possible.

I wish AT&T or Microsoft would just give us an official answer on this.
    I got my "official" answer from AT&T. Pee up a rope. Microsoft also offered me no hope of any satisfaction either. MS needs to address this carrier based BS though. This is getting old.
    08-24-2015 01:10 PM
    I got my "official" answer from AT&T. Pee up a rope. Microsoft also offered me no hope of any satisfaction either. MS needs to address this carrier based BS though. This is getting old.
    while they seem to have not helped at all.... it would be awesome if "pee up a rope" was the actual answer submitted to the BBB. That would be a PR nightmare.

What I hate is that the people asked are NOT the ones with the answer, and there is no way to find the person with the actual answer.
    anon(123856) likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:13 PM
    while they seem to have not helped at all.... it would be awesome if "pee up a rope" was the actual answer submitted to the BBB. That would be a PR nightmare.

What I hate is that the people asked are NOT the ones with the answer, and there is no way to find the person with the actual answer.
    And they have no intention of providing us the answer. If they "officially" state that no update will be forthcoming then all their "settled" BBB cases would be back in play. My rep was still telling me that there was no timetable for the update, not that it was killed, which I believe is a blatant lie. I expect nothing but silence. I'm still going to see if I can drag it out a bit more. Any pain I can inflict on them, no matter how insignificant, will be worth it.
    08-24-2015 01:20 PM
    And they have no intention of providing us the answer. If they "officially" state that no update will be forthcoming then all their "settled" BBB cases would be back in play. My rep was still telling me that there was no timetable for the update, not that it was killed, which I believe is a blatant lie. I expect nothing but silence. I'm still going to see if I can drag it out a bit more. Any pain I can inflict on them, no matter how insignificant, will be worth it.
    yeah, that's the disappointing part. When companies get too big, it becomes too exhausting to find the right people to actually help with a problem and the ones assigned to help have a script to read from and can't really deviate from that.

off to annoy AT&T on some social media site again :)
    anon(123856) likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:29 PM
    According to the rep I spoke with they apparently don't care if they lose customers.
    They probably don't care, depending on the customer. The idea is that some customers are more maintenance than they're worth. I'm not siding with AT&T, but their idea is that they'd just as soon get you off their backs.
    08-24-2015 02:00 PM
    They probably don't care, depending on the customer. The idea is that some customers are more maintenance than they're worth. I'm not siding with AT&T, but their idea is that they'd just as soon get you off their backs.
    I get what you're saying but seeing as they had already told me to cram it I'm not sure how much more I could have asked out of them. I left them because they left me no other option. I wasn't going to just accept their offhanded assertion that my claim was baseless. If they offered me anything I might have stayed. I find their business model curious to say the least. The AT&T is always right!
    tgp likes this.
    08-24-2015 02:22 PM
    I get what you're saying but seeing as they had already told me to cram it I'm not sure how much more I could have asked out of them. I left them because they left me no other option. I wasn't going to just accept their offhanded assertion that my claim was baseless. If they offered me anything I might have stayed. I find their business model curious to say the least. The AT&T is always right!
    Yes I know what you're saying. And again I'm not justifying AT&T's actions. I just know that while no business likes to lose customers, sometimes they'll make an exception.

At my workplace, we actually have a couple customers like that. Please don't misunderstand me; we always treat them with utmost respect while we try our hardest to make them happy, but at the same time we'd be better off without them. Probably all businesses have customers like that.
    anon(123856) likes this.
    08-24-2015 02:35 PM
    how dare you doubt Lord AT&T?!?

but seriously.... most larger companies DO NOT care about the little guy that pays them monthly.

As for annoying customers, we let a few go last week. they threatened to leave as they were not happy with the service (all issues were in their head, as everything worked fine and I've walked them through it every time) and they were finally told "Sorry you feel that way, hope you enjoy your new service elsewhere".

but there is a difference between a sole customer that shouldn't own tech, and a product not working as advertised.
    tgp and anon(123856) like this.
    08-24-2015 02:35 PM
    As for annoying customers, we let a few go last week. they threatened to leave as they were not happy with the service (all issues were in their head, as everything worked fine and I've walked them through it every time) and they were finally told "Sorry you feel that way, hope you enjoy your new service elsewhere".
    Do you know what's interesting about that kind of customer? They find the same service wherever they go. How long does it take to realize that "I might be the problem!"?
    08-24-2015 02:56 PM
    they never realize that. what they do realize is the cost vs what they are getting. the same amount of headaches and stupidity at $5 less to them feels like better service.

and that's how AT&T's BBB reps seem like they are treating people. as idiots that have no clue what they want, nor do they care about actually solving the issue.
    anon(123856) likes this.
    08-24-2015 03:02 PM
    My wife was in an AT&T store today. She asked the rep whether my 830 would be getting Windows 10. The store rep supposedly looked it up online and checked my model number, then told her yes. Not sure I believe that since I wasn't there to check exactly what the rep was saying.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-24-2015 03:02 PM
    Could those of us ATT N830 owners who wanted, get on the Windows Insider program when a near-final W10 Mobile comes out? I hear it downloads Denim as part of the process. W10 desktop Windows Insider testers were allowed to authenticate to a final version when W10 final came out. W10 Mobile could be different.
    08-24-2015 04:17 PM
    I just got off the phone after calling the AT&T rep back that was handling my BBB claim. The deal she offered me today was better than the original one on Friday so I took it. I traded my 830 for a 640XL (the only WP phone available from AT&T) and I'm not responsible for any more payments so I basically got the 640XL for $190 (the total amount of payments on my 830 to date). I'm not crazy about the size but I'll use the phone until the 950 comes out and then sell it. I figure I can sell it for $140+ and even if I come away with it costing me $50, considering I had the use of a phone for a year, I did OK.

I assure though, this will be the last carrier locked phone I buy.
    08-24-2015 04:19 PM
    ...the Windows Insider program... ...downloads Denim as part of the process...
    Users have sporadically reported getting Update 2 as Insider prepped their device for 10 TP. It's not a pattern that lends itself to idenifying if a phone definitively gets Update 2 or not during the Insider set up.

Note that Update 2 is NOT Denim. Update 2 is an advance of the core OS. Denim is firmware.

True enough... You could get on Insider for the last build, just before official... and then opt out afterward to avoid the bugs that will surely come in subsequent builds.
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-24-2015 05:12 PM
    My wife was in an AT&T store today. She asked the rep whether my 830 would be getting Windows 10. The store rep supposedly looked it up online and checked my model number, then told her yes. Not sure I believe that since I wasn't there to check exactly what the rep was saying.
    Unless you get that in writing with the clause that if it doesn't get W10M you get a full refund for the original purchase price, then it's hot air. Not saying that it won't get W10M, maybe it will. But wow, what a mess fussing around with customers for a year both from MS and ATT.
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 08-24-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    anon(123856) likes this.
    08-24-2015 05:43 PM
    I just got off the phone after calling the AT&T rep back that was handling my BBB claim. The deal she offered me today was better than the original one on Friday so I took it. I traded my 830 for a 640XL (the only WP phone available from AT&T) and I'm not responsible for any ....
    I went from L830 to 640XL unlocked myself and after two days I couldn't see myself going back. Both my wife and I love the 640XL. Sure it doesn't have the same premium feel compared to the L830 but it's "only" $230-240 for a 5.7" phone.
    I think you got a fair deal out of your BBB claim. cheers
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 08-24-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    Andrew Fratkin and libra89 like this.
    08-24-2015 05:46 PM
    I just got off the phone after calling the AT&T rep back that was handling my BBB claim. The deal she offered me today was better than the original one on Friday so I took it. I traded my 830 for a 640XL (the only WP phone available from AT&T) and I'm not responsible for any more payments so I basically got the 640XL for $190 (the total amount of payments on my 830 to date). I'm not crazy about the size but I'll use the phone until the 950 comes out and then sell it. I figure I can sell it for $140+ and even if I come away with it costing me $50, considering I had the use of a phone for a year, I did OK.

I'm glad you got something out of them. I think I got screwed because I purchased at an MS store and both AT&T and MS used that against me. MS saying "it's an AT&T product" and AT&T saying "you bought it from MS".

Anyway, good for you.
    08-24-2015 07:27 PM
    Users have sporadically reported getting Update 2 as Insider prepped their device for 10 TP. It's not a pattern that lends itself to idenifying if a phone definitively gets Update 2 or not during the Insider set up.

Note that Update 2 is NOT Denim. Update 2 is an advance of the core OS. Denim is firmware.

True enough... You could get on Insider for the last build, just before official... and then opt out afterward to avoid the bugs that will surely come in subsequent builds.
    But, if im not wrong the preview for developers was created mostly to skip this issues from companies not launching updates. This previews always were versione very stable... So, why dont expect Microsoft to launch WP10 final version in this program and that everyone can update theirs ceelphone whatever cell company was and whatever model? Im missing something?

Thanks,
    Gabriel.
    08-24-2015 09:35 PM
    It depends on what gets pushed in future Insider builds and how aggressive the changes will be. Nobody can say for certain right now. The more conservative users will want to get the build just before official and rest there to await developments. I've not seen any statements about how close future Insider builds will be to RTM after Win 10 Mo goes live.
    08-24-2015 10:01 PM
755 ... 2122232425 ...