Shop Cyber Monday deals at:Amazon | Walmart | Best Buy | Microsoft | Dell

09-19-2015 12:33 PM
755 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Ok, now they're just trolling us. They just tweeted a picture of a Lumia 830 with the hashtag #LumiaCamera -_-

Am I wrong in saying this is not a AT&T-specific 830? It doesn't look like it on Twitter.

I've got an unlocked Lumia 830 from B&H Photo on T-Mobile--and I've had full denim for a couple weeks now. Considering how slow T-Mobile is to do updates, I'm confident other carriers have it too.

Don't get it wrong, it sucks for AT&T customers (T-Mobile is hardly known for good support, but they've got it beat there).
    04-16-2015 10:19 AM
    Am I wrong in saying this is not a AT&T-specific 830? It doesn't look like it on Twitter.

I've got an unlocked Lumia 830 from B&H Photo on T-Mobile--and I've had full denim for a couple weeks now. Considering how slow T-Mobile is to do updates, I'm confident other carriers have it too.

Don't get it wrong, it sucks for AT&T customers (T-Mobile is hardly known for good support, but they've got it beat there).
    Since your phone was purchased from B&H, I"m assuming it's the Latin America Country Variant RM-985. If so, just fyi, your updates don't come though T-mobile but rather Microsoft directly. The firmware update "source" (ie the last entity that is the gatekeeper for the go/no-go of a particular update) is tied to the firmware of the phone, not what SIM you have in it.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    04-16-2015 11:15 AM

The photo looks exactly like the ATT RM-983 because the one ATT sells is the dark aluminum version that comes with both black and green battery covers.
    04-16-2015 12:43 PM
    That is the LAT variant and nothing to do with T-Mobile. Msoft released the full Denim to that LAT variant a few months back and worth noting it is carrier independent which just means msoft is sucking up to AT&T by waiting on them for our variant. They do not want to annoy AT&T as they only have a few Lumia phones and msoft can't afford to have them drop Lumias as did Verizion.

It sucks as I bought this 830 from the msoft website (NAT variant I think it is) and while NOT branded with AT&T, I am still stuck waiting on AT&T so msoft can release our update too.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    04-16-2015 01:32 PM
    Since your phone was purchased from B&H, I"m assuming it's the Latin America Country Variant RM-985. If so, just fyi, your updates don't come though T-mobile but rather Microsoft directly. The firmware update "source" (ie the last entity that is the gatekeeper for the go/no-go of a particular update) is tied to the firmware of the phone, not what SIM you have in it.
    I see--that really sucks. I'm one of those people who never buys phones on contract (which means I pay a lot up front, but I guess it's cheaper in the long run), so I wasn't aware of the circumstances--I stand corrected.
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    04-17-2015 09:51 AM
    I see--that really sucks. I'm one of those people who never buys phones on contract (which means I pay a lot up front, but I guess it's cheaper in the long run), so I wasn't aware of the circumstances--I stand corrected.
    I see it as a good thing, to be honest. Having the updates come from Microsoft as a carrier-free phone rather than the service provider means that you'll actually get updates rather than being subject to arbitrary end-of-life events by the provider (lumia 810, I'm looking at you).
    04-17-2015 01:00 PM
    I see it as a good thing, to be honest. Having the updates come from Microsoft as a carrier-free phone rather than the service provider means that you'll actually get updates rather than being subject to arbitrary end-of-life events by the provider (lumia 810, I'm looking at you).
    No, that's a major part of the reason (that, and I'm on a family plan with T-Mobile--having it change will upset anyone else on the plan). Additionally, I can do whatever I like with the phone in the meantime (trade it, sell it, etc.). I know that you can break a phone contract with fairly minimum penalties, but that's an unfamiliar area with me (and despite multiple efforts, I've never succeeded in getting a phone unlocked either).

Give T-Mobile's own WP support, I think you're nearly obligated to by an unlocked handset if you want a WP through them.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    04-19-2015 10:15 AM
    Well, on 4/22 it'll be a full 90 days since I purchased my RM-985. Still no full Denim, still no Lumia Camera 5. I'm 60 days past my return period, of course and so I'm stuck. Yes, I could have returned within the 30 days, and that's my bad--but I honestly thought Microsoft would sort it out. Now, I'm wondering when they will.

This is really going beyond merely annoying.
    04-20-2015 01:36 PM
    Well, on 4/22 it'll be a full 90 days since I purchased my RM-985. Still no full Denim, still no Lumia Camera 5. I'm 60 days past my return period, of course and so I'm stuck. Yes, I could have returned within the 30 days, and that's my bad--but I honestly thought Microsoft would sort it out. Now, I'm wondering when they will.

yeah, we hear you. At least you could flash with one that gets the Denim update.

edit: see pankaj's post below
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 04-20-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    04-20-2015 06:19 PM

Well I have the same phone but as MS was being slow with the rollout I flashed to the Rogers ROM and have been using Denim since a couple of months.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-20-2015 06:33 PM
    Yeah right. I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully before summer is over!

attcares-denim-reply.jpg
    04-22-2015 04:43 PM
    As long as AT&T is taking, it wouldn't surprise me if they still beat the Microsoft Store's own unlocked Lumia 830 to Denim
    04-22-2015 05:10 PM
    My wife is tired of waiting... Says she wants an iPhone 6 now.
    04-22-2015 05:21 PM
    My wife is tired of waiting... Says she wants an iPhone 6 now.
    Don't blame her for being tired of waiting. Hopefully that's not just an excuse to have the same phone that most of her friends probably do
    04-22-2015 05:30 PM
    And today yet another horsecrap scripted excuse of a response!

microsoft-lumia-fb-denim-comment.jpg
    anon(123856) likes this.
    04-23-2015 01:49 PM
    at this rate I will be rocking the new flagship by the time this 830 gets the upgrade :(
    04-23-2015 10:55 PM
    at this rate I will be rocking the new flagship by the time this 830 gets the upgrade :(
    Same here, and by flagship, it'll be the 6s....
    04-24-2015 01:08 PM
    I too was attracted to this phone for the camera and just recently found out that I was not getting what I thought I had signed up for back in November. If this is a case of false advertisement, you would think MS and ATT would do everything possible to get this corrected pronto. Is there a class action or anything like that going on for this??? Maybe a call from a high powered lawyer would speed things up!
    JohnStrk likes this.
    04-24-2015 02:50 PM
    Is there a class action or anything like that going on for this??? Maybe a call from a high powered lawyer would speed things up!
    see gmfeld's post here. He is a lawyer and wanted to look into it.
    04-24-2015 05:12 PM
    Same here, and by flagship, it'll be the 6s....
    ugh. No way, I left the IPhone, soo damn boring.
    JohnStrk likes this.
    04-25-2015 01:54 AM
    So, does Insider get you GDR2, then you disable insider you don't go to 10?

edit: nm, found how to do it. Doesn't seem like update 2 adds much.
    Last edited by gordonfink; 04-26-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    04-26-2015 02:50 PM
    I've been thinking the same thing. What a joke... Not sure who to blame but just ridiculous.
    04-26-2015 08:48 PM
    see gmfeld's post here. He is a lawyer and wanted to look into it.
    Not sure what good it will do. Microsoft has the deck pretty heavily stacked in the "lawyer" department I'm sure haha
    04-26-2015 08:49 PM
    So, does Insider get you GDR2, then you disable insider you don't go to 10?

edit: nm, found how to do it. Doesn't seem like update 2 adds much.
    How do you do it? Is there a link or instructions you can share?
    04-27-2015 10:25 AM
    Not sure if this link is allowed, so in case it gets zapped, you essentially download Windows Insider, check for updates, when it finds one make sure it update 2 as opposed to WP10, then delete the Insider app (to prevent it from going for W10 immediately after installing update 2), then install the update you just download (after you've confirmed it is still 8.1, and NOT 10).

Windows Insider app delivers Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 to any handset which does not support W10M TP [Update: Here's how to get WP8.1 Update 2 on any device without going for Windows 10 Technical Preview] - WMPoweruser
    JohnStrk and VineRider like this.
    04-27-2015 11:02 AM
755 ... 34567 ...