When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, now they're just trolling us. They just tweeted a picture of a Lumia 830 with the hashtag #LumiaCamera -_-

Am I wrong in saying this is not a AT&T-specific 830? It doesn't look like it on Twitter.

I've got an unlocked Lumia 830 from B&H Photo on T-Mobile--and I've had full denim for a couple weeks now. Considering how slow T-Mobile is to do updates, I'm confident other carriers have it too.

Don't get it wrong, it sucks for AT&T customers (T-Mobile is hardly known for good support, but they've got it beat there).

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Am I wrong in saying this is not a AT&T-specific 830? It doesn't look like it on Twitter.

I've got an unlocked Lumia 830 from B&H Photo on T-Mobile--and I've had full denim for a couple weeks now. Considering how slow T-Mobile is to do updates, I'm confident other carriers have it too.

Don't get it wrong, it sucks for AT&T customers (T-Mobile is hardly known for good support, but they've got it beat there).

Since your phone was purchased from B&H, I"m assuming it's the Latin America Country Variant RM-985. If so, just fyi, your updates don't come though T-mobile but rather Microsoft directly. The firmware update "source" (ie the last entity that is the gatekeeper for the go/no-go of a particular update) is tied to the firmware of the phone, not what SIM you have in it.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The photo looks exactly like the ATT RM-983 because the one ATT sells is the dark aluminum version that comes with both black and green battery covers.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

That is the LAT variant and nothing to do with T-Mobile. Msoft released the full Denim to that LAT variant a few months back and worth noting it is carrier independent which just means msoft is sucking up to AT&T by waiting on them for our variant. They do not want to annoy AT&T as they only have a few Lumia phones and msoft can't afford to have them drop Lumias as did Verizion.

It sucks as I bought this 830 from the msoft website (NAT variant I think it is) and while NOT branded with AT&T, I am still stuck waiting on AT&T so msoft can release our update too.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Since your phone was purchased from B&H, I"m assuming it's the Latin America Country Variant RM-985. If so, just fyi, your updates don't come though T-mobile but rather Microsoft directly. The firmware update "source" (ie the last entity that is the gatekeeper for the go/no-go of a particular update) is tied to the firmware of the phone, not what SIM you have in it.

I see--that really sucks. I'm one of those people who never buys phones on contract (which means I pay a lot up front, but I guess it's cheaper in the long run), so I wasn't aware of the circumstances--I stand corrected.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I see--that really sucks. I'm one of those people who never buys phones on contract (which means I pay a lot up front, but I guess it's cheaper in the long run), so I wasn't aware of the circumstances--I stand corrected.

I see it as a good thing, to be honest. Having the updates come from Microsoft as a carrier-free phone rather than the service provider means that you'll actually get updates rather than being subject to arbitrary end-of-life events by the provider (lumia 810, I'm looking at you).

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I see it as a good thing, to be honest. Having the updates come from Microsoft as a carrier-free phone rather than the service provider means that you'll actually get updates rather than being subject to arbitrary end-of-life events by the provider (lumia 810, I'm looking at you).

No, that's a major part of the reason (that, and I'm on a family plan with T-Mobile--having it change will upset anyone else on the plan). Additionally, I can do whatever I like with the phone in the meantime (trade it, sell it, etc.). I know that you can break a phone contract with fairly minimum penalties, but that's an unfamiliar area with me (and despite multiple efforts, I've never succeeded in getting a phone unlocked either).

Give T-Mobile's own WP support, I think you're nearly obligated to by an unlocked handset if you want a WP through them.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, on 4/22 it'll be a full 90 days since I purchased my RM-985. Still no full Denim, still no Lumia Camera 5. I'm 60 days past my return period, of course and so I'm stuck. Yes, I could have returned within the 30 days, and that's my bad--but I honestly thought Microsoft would sort it out. Now, I'm wondering when they will.

This is really going beyond merely annoying.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, on 4/22 it'll be a full 90 days since I purchased my RM-985. Still no full Denim, still no Lumia Camera 5. I'm 60 days past my return period, of course and so I'm stuck. Yes, I could have returned within the 30 days, and that's my bad--but I honestly thought Microsoft would sort it out. Now, I'm wondering when they will.

yeah, we hear you. At least you could flash with one that gets the Denim update.

edit: see pankaj's post below

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Well I have the same phone but as MS was being slow with the rollout I flashed to the Rogers ROM and have been using Denim since a couple of months.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as AT&T is taking, it wouldn't surprise me if they still beat the Microsoft Store's own unlocked Lumia 830 to Denim :grin::crying:

jkrudder

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I too was attracted to this phone for the camera and just recently found out that I was not getting what I thought I had signed up for back in November. If this is a case of false advertisement, you would think MS and ATT would do everything possible to get this corrected pronto. Is there a class action or anything like that going on for this??? Maybe a call from a high powered lawyer would speed things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss