When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Spoke to AT&T last night, and they pointed the blame at Microsoft - said that they can't do anything because Microsoft never "gave" them the update. I was playing slightly dumb as I didn't want to be too confrontational, so I didn't call them out on that - sounds like the party line is that this is Microsoft's fault (which we know is not true).

I joined y'all with a BBB complaint today. The camera on the 830 is honestly worse than my 920 in current form and that frustrates me. The 830 has failed to live up to expectations and during the time I've had it we've lost banking apps, airline apps, and other important day-to-day functionality on the phone. Will be asking for a refund to stay with AT&T and switch to iPhone.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Spoke to AT&T last night, and they pointed the blame at Microsoft - said that they can't do anything because Microsoft never "gave" them the update. I was playing slightly dumb as I didn't want to be too confrontational, so I didn't call them out on that - sounds like the party line is that this is Microsoft's fault (which we know is not true).

ahh, AT&T support, when they can't find an answer, blame someone else. was it standard or enterprise support?

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

lol. Can't do that now. I stopped in and talked to the guys (and gal) at the Kiosk and they said they knew ALL about the bluetooth problems, I described the issues I had with it and they stated that it was most likey the firmware, and since AT&T was not going to be releasing it they would exchange my device for the carrier free varriant because of the defect. I am still getting it setup, but I am happy now. They said it would fix my bluetooth issues. they had me do a survey for them, which I was MORE than happy to do. Now, as much as I am still ticked off with AT&T, I cannot in good concience keep the credit they added to my account, so I will send an email to the rep that handled my complaint and ask him to remove the credit, and that I solved the issue another way.

Sorry to ask this kind of late, but I have been away from the forum for a few days and am just getting caught up. I feel like I missed something in this story. Did the Microsoft store (kiosk in this case) exchange the phone you bought from AT&T? I am really unclear as to the origin of the phone since AT&T was offering a refund after the BBB complaint.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
the phone was purchased through a microsoft kiosk. Since it was an At&t exclusive device at&t issuesd a 50% refund to me for the missing advertised functionality of their device. since i was near the kiosk i figured it would not hurt asking anout a replacement unlocked carrier free device since my 830 had been having some of the bluetooth issues that the full denim firmware fixes. they agreed that t could be considered a faulty device since at&t is not going to issue the new firmware. so, i have a new phone and have left a message with at&t to remove the credit, as i am now made whole. my next device will be a carrier free device. at&t has lost all but their dumb pipe service from me

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I just submitted my BBB complaint today. Based on the lack of firmware and missing the advertised features. I just asked to exchange the phone as I have financed through NEXT -- only had phone for 6 weeks. Been and ATT customer for several years and really disappointed the 635 and 1520 got the update and they bypassed the 830. I really hope MS really does bypass carriers for update with W10.

Also, not sure if anyone caught the post on Windows Power User: Microsoft EOL the Lumia 830 So, appears the only options for Lumia right now are the 635, 735, 640 and 640XL.... we need a flagship!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
the phone was purchased through a microsoft kiosk. Since it was an At&t exclusive device at&t issuesd a 50% refund to me for the missing advertised functionality of their device. since i was near the kiosk i figured it would not hurt asking anout a replacement unlocked carrier free device since my 830 had been having some of the bluetooth issues that the full denim firmware fixes. they agreed that t could be considered a faulty device since at&t is not going to issue the new firmware. so, i have a new phone and have left a message with at&t to remove the credit, as i am now made whole. my next device will be a carrier free device. at&t has lost all but their dumb pipe service from me
I'm hoping for a similar result, but, theres always a but, the AT&T rep I spoke to was saying that it's a Microsoft problem since I purchased it at a MS store. When I spoke with MS online support, they blamed AT&T. Sooooo, all I can do now is wait it out. Getting to the MS store is a major hassle for me but I'll do it if I need to. Not very happy so far, but I'll see how it plays out.

The AT&T rep also says they never heard of the "830 firmware issue", which I find hard to believe. It seems ludicrous that they would respond to a complaint without researching it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T rep also says they never heard of the "830 firmware issue", which I find hard to believe. It seems ludicrous that they would respond to a complaint without researching it.

these reps just sit around looking to rapidly close BBB complaints. Checking AT&T's bbb page, from July 30 of this year and back 3 years, they closed 22,685 complaints. So in 1095 days (1096 if there was a leap year, I don't keep track) they average closing 20-21+ cases a day, 7 days a week. Now those daily numbers are much higher if they do not work weekends and holidays. In that time does anyone think any real research can be done? What happens is that they check customer records, do a quick search in their internal FAQs and get approval for whatever they decide to do.

go ahead and peak at their BBB page everyone, and look at the results on a few. These people are glorified customer service reps with the power to give refunds over every little thing.

Thus why if you want a refund or credit, they'll pretty much do it to move onto the next person as quickly as possible. So unless a few hundred 830 owners submit around the same time with similar issues, AT&T won't care enough to actually check. These people closing the BBB reports have no real contact with whatever dept actually deals with firmware testing and approvals to push them. So far, it looks like we are still less than 10 that have even tried going the BBB route. This is why I like to annoy @attcares on twitter.... because it proves that they actually don't.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
these reps just sit around looking to rapidly close BBB complaints. Checking AT&T's bbb page, from July 30 of this year and back 3 years, they closed 22,685 complaints. So in 1095 days (1096 if there was a leap year, I don't keep track) they average closing 20-21+ cases a day, 7 days a week. Now those daily numbers are much higher if they do not work weekends and holidays. In that time does anyone think any real research can be done? What happens is that they check customer records, do a quick search in their internal FAQs and get approval for whatever they decide to do.

go ahead and peak at their BBB page everyone, and look at the results on a few. These people are glorified customer service reps with the power to give refunds over every little thing.

Thus why if you want a refund or credit, they'll pretty much do it to move onto the next person as quickly as possible. So unless a few hundred 830 owners submit around the same time with similar issues, AT&T won't care enough to actually check. These people closing the BBB reports have no real contact with whatever dept actually deals with firmware testing and approvals to push them. So far, it looks like we are still less than 10 that have even tried going the BBB route. This is why I like to annoy @attcares on twitter.... because it proves that they actually don't.
Well the "blame game" is in full swing. I just called MS store sales and refund support and again was told it's AT&T's responsibility (which I completely agree with) and they will not do anything for me. I understand that MS can't force AT&T to do anything but they need to step on this particular issue. I would go back to the point of purchase but that will involve three hours of my time and my expectations right now are very low. As I said previously, I'll see what AT&T offers, if anything, before I do anything. At the very least I will be dumping AT&T if I can get a decent signal from Verizon where I live. I need to verify the coverage because I just moved here and never tried a Verizon phone in this neck of the woods. And, I realize they may be no better but overall Verizon's coverage is still the best around here. Many lessons learned and at least I'm not stuck in a contract.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Broomfield Colorado (suburb of denver)

I would go to either a store or kiosk if you bought it from the MS Store (in person or online). I went to the same Kiosk and they did an exchange for me there. If you think you are going to have the phone for a while, I would attempt the exchange.

This just confirms to me that I will never buy another phone from ATT and I'll be buying carrier unlocked from now on.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
a nice perk of using your MS account in store (or kiosk), all purchases are listed and tracked. helps for both warranty and refunds :)

chas488

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Better do it soon.

The 830 is at end of life and there will not be anymore to exchange. They wont let me post the site but it is on NEOWIN

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Better do it soon.
The 830 is at end of life and there will not be anymore to exchange. They wont let me post the site but it is on NEOWIN
also here at WindowsCentral
The Lumia 830 is reaching the end of its product life 10 months after launch | Windows Central
this doesn't mean it won't get updates anymore though (unless you have the RM-983).

on another note. I just received my unlocked 640 XL. What a great phone. I am not looking back at the L830 with sadness anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs