When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i wanted a 640 to tide me over but only cricket and t-mobile's version was out in late june and i didn't want the xl or the 1520 (too big), thus why i have the 830.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to MS store yesterday to do the exchange since I bought my RM983 there. At first, the manager did not want to do it and said that she didn't have the power to do so, and suggest me to go through warranty claim. Luckly, she has an RM985 as her own phone, so after I showed her the difference between the two versions (Lumina Camera and the famous Netflix bug), she agreed for the exchange. Then She found out that it is EOL and no one has it any more in the area. She almost called a store in Florida to ship one for me, but at last minute, she found out that they actually have one somewhere in the store. So after one and half hour, I walked out with a RM985 in hand.

So currently RM985 has very limited stock in the MS store, if you want to do an exchange, try it asap. BBB complaint is another way. I also think that a warranty claim is also a possible way. Without the firmware update, the phone is in fact a defect product. So MS has the responsibility to fix it. Since they couldn't fix it without the firmware, you could ask for a comparable model.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I went to MS store yesterday to do the exchange since I bought my RM983 there. At first, the manager did not want to do it and said that she didn't have the power to do so, and suggest me to go through warranty claim. Luckly, she has an RM985 as her own phone, so after I showed her the difference between the two versions (Lumina Camera and the famous Netflix bug), she agreed for the exchange. Then She found out that it is EOL and no one has it any more in the area. She almost called a store in Florida to ship one for me, but at last minute, she found out that they actually have one somewhere in the store. So after one and half hour, I walked out with a RM985 in hand.

So currently RM985 has very limited stock in the MS store, if you want to do an exchange, try it asap. BBB complaint is another way. I also think that a warranty claim is also a possible way. Without the firmware update, the phone is in fact a defect product. So MS has the responsibility to fix it. Since they couldn't fix it without the firmware, you could ask for a comparable model.

I suppose this only applies if you bought it at a MS Store? I have the ATT 983 model and would love to get the 985; I assume MS will tell me to deal with ATT directly?

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I suppose this only applies if you bought it at a MS Store? I have the ATT 983 model and would love to get the 985; I assume MS will tell me to deal with ATT directly?

If you bought from ATT, then MS store likely won't help you. You could try to do the warranty claim/BBB though.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I certainly have no way to prove it, but in my mind the evidence points to there being some defect in the RM-983 that made this firmware update not so easy. Of course they cannot admit that, but the whole thing just seems too suspicious to me.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you bought from ATT, then MS store likely won't help you. You could try to do the warranty claim/BBB though.
I bought mine at a Microsoft store and so far they have been unwilling to help me. I believe that AT&T is going to use the fact that I bought it at a MS store against me in my BBB complaint. Multiple calls to MS support have placed the blame on AT&T (right where it belongs) but they aren't particularly interested in helping me. I've been avoiding go back to the MS store because it over an hour away but that may be my last option. I've had initial contact with AT&T but the first conversation pretty much hinged on the fact that I bought it from MS not AT&T. Typical corporate finger pointing, in other words. I'm not very optimistic at the moment. I feel a screwing coming on...

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine at a Microsoft store and so far they have been unwilling to help me. I believe that AT&T is going to use the fact that I bought it at a MS store against me in my BBB complaint. Multiple calls to MS support have placed the blame on AT&T (right where it belongs) but they aren't particularly interested in helping me. I've been avoiding go back to the MS store because it over an hour away but that may be my last option. I've had initial contact with AT&T but the first conversation pretty much hinged on the fact that I bought it from MS not AT&T. Typical corporate finger pointing, in other words. I'm not very optimistic at the moment. I feel a screwing coming on...

I think you can point out to MS that it is a MS product and it is broken: The Netflix app and BT connection issues as examples. As a consumer, you have no ability to figure out who to blame, however, MS has the responsibility to fix their broken product.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
As I suspected, BBB complaints would be handled differently with varying results. I have been told that I cannot get a refund. Interestingly enough, I got a call form the same AT&T Executive office rep who I had previously dealt with prior to trying the BBB route. He is sticking to his guns.

However, he has offered me an option to exchange the 830 for something else that they offer. So, my question for the masses is if I should consider this offer. That limits me to either the 640XL or the 635 if I stay with WP. Are either of those worthwhile options? I have until Monday to decide.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Also, I think you could file a BBB complaints against MS directly.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Also, I think you could file a BBB complaints against MS directly.
Well that is officially one of my last options. AT&T told me "No refund for you!". They are still lying and telling people that there is no current info on the update! I've been trying to contact the MS store I purchased it from but the hold times are 1.5 hours. And there is apparently no way to call into the store (by design, I'm sure). I contacted MS support yet again just to see if they could put me in touch with the manager of that particular store. No dice. I'm dumping AT&T and maybe Windows Phone too. No Lumia camera, no Windows 10 and no resale value now either. This just sucks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...he has offered me an option to exchange the 830 for something else that they offer. So, my question for the masses is if I should consider this offer. That limits me to either the 640XL or the 635 if I stay with WP. Are either of those worthwhile options? I have until Monday to decide.

It may be worth moving to the 640 XL. Same SoC, same 1GB Ram. Only half the internal storage and the camera is missing OIS, but as the last AT&T branded Windows Phone in the pipe it stands the best chance of them allowing it to get on 10.

Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Microsoft Lumia 640 XL LTE - GSMArena.com

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm dumping AT&T and maybe Windows Phone too.

Sure, quite the carrier merry-go-round, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Factory Unlocked. Get yourself to 10 and Microsoft looks to be climbing into the driver's seat. Love Nokia, but they bent over for these US carriers. Microsoft should be allowed to show what they can do...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Sure, quite the carrier merry-go-round, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Factory Unlocked. Get yourself to 10 and Microsoft looks to be climbing into the driver's seat. Love Nokia, but they bent over for these US carriers. Microsoft should be allowed to show what they can do...
I'm not sure. I'm very unhappy right now. As of tomorrow I'm off AT&T. Verizon doesn't offer much in the way of Windows Phones. The 735 isn't out of contention, but it's not a lock either.

And before anybody says it, I know Verizon sucks too. Right now they suck less than AT&T.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'm very unhappy right now. As of tomorrow I'm off AT&T. Verizon doesn't offer much in the way of Windows Phones. The 730 isn't out of contention, but it's not a lock either.

And before anybody says it, I know Verizon sucks too. Right now they suck less than AT&T.

AT&T must have good coverage for you, yes?

Get a factory unlocked and move to an mvno. Keep AT&T towers, just ditch all the bad stuff about carrier control of your device.

This. Is. Exactly. Why. Buying. A. Carrier. Phone. Is. Shooting. Yourself. In. The. Foot.

I don't care what carrier you move to. If you get a phone from them they own it as much as you do. Maybe even more in the long run. Every once in a while I pick up a used carrier branded phone (never straight from a carrier or on contract for almost ten years) and it is always something. They hold the phone back in some way.

I got my RM-983 at quite a bargain price and still could not be satisfied with how it was playing out. I got rid of it. Replaced it with a Blu that they have stated from day one will get Win 10 Mo.

I just walked away from Straight Talk and over to Cricket. No hassle, no hidden cost for leaving. I can shop plans any time I want. My wife just got a Nexus 6. Unlocked baby, take it wherever.

It's not the phone. It''s Old Blue, Big Red, The Magenta Menace and the Yellow Has-Been. Not one of them will put you first. EVER.

Don't jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. Start cooking your own meals from hand selected ingredients. It's a happier, healthier diet.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'm very unhappy right now. As of tomorrow I'm off AT&T. Verizon doesn't offer much in the way of Windows Phones. The 730 isn't out of contention, but it's not a lock either.

No matter which OS you choose next, I think you should BBB MS and get the money back. Without the firmware update, RM983 is a defect product. MS doesn't have obligations to deliver new features but it has the obligation to fix defects.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
AT&T must have good coverage for you, yes?

Get a factory unlocked and move to an mvno. Keep AT&T towers, just ditch all the bad stuff about carrier control of your device.
AT&T has good coverage but Verizon is a bit better overall. Almost a wash. I just can't see me supporting AT&T in any way, shape or form right now. I'm not in a contract so leaving AT&T is easy. T-Mo isn't really a good option here. Already tried Sprint once and it was awful, just pathetic coverage. AT&T and Verizon are the big dogs in this neck of the woods, for better or for worse.

I still can just put my 822 back on Verizon and go prepaid. That's on the table too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss