Place to buy genuine nokia 1020 digitizer? Update: Do NOT use Etrade supply

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So my wife dropped her 1020, broke the screen. Still works, but some glass is missing.

She likes it and nothing is coming for a while not to mention we have camera battery cover and charging cover. So not ready to let it go yet.

A while back I fixed the one on my fathers 1020 (easiest fix ever) but he broke it in 3 days. Left arrow key never lit up. I'm sure it was a reproduction.

I'd like a real original screen this time. Kinda hard to figure out which ones are real and the ones that are not. Most reviews suggest the cheap ones separate and a few months.

At this point the phone is going to have to last her until the next flagship, which is probably a while, so I want a quality screen.

Thanks

Last edited:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Place to buy genuine nokia 1020 digitizer?

There won't be any originals on aliexpress. Etrade says they are, and I've also seen positive reviews, as in people believing they were original.

They're pricey though.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks guys,
I was considering Etrade which claims it's original, but they also claim there is an original with no ATT logo and with only a couple reviews, one says the screen separated which seems to be the concern with all the knock offs.
Kinda leads me to believe they are lying.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I think that you have to take most of that stuff with a grain of salt. Personally, I find many aftermarket parts to be quite good.

If you go read the 930 forum, you'd think the 930 was the worst garbage phone ever made. In real life, it's quite the opposite.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Well, the 1020 screen from etradesupply turned out to be a POS.
turned purple and is now fading to black.
Even worse it's still under warranty and ETS makes returns hard. They have to be authorized and you can't call.
Something told me, just buy another phone, but I didn't.
Now it will be weeks for a replacement (if they "authorize" it).
When I read reviews on the ETS site many said returns were a nightmare, should have heeded the warning.

Going to buy a 640 for $79 at the ms store to hold her over.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Wow, ETradesupply may very well be the worst company I've ever purchased from online.

I had to upload pictures to prove is was broken, on a file sharing site.

Finally they approve it and I get this email.
See if it makes any sense, no where on the site (or at least I can't find it) is there any fine print that suggest a return is like this.

Thanks for your cooperation, sir According to our company’s rule, we need it back to check, but considering the time and other circumstances, we sincerely suggest you keep it, there is no need to return it back. And the corresponding solution provided for your reference is: A: We will ship on new product to you only if you can afford $48, which include partial and shipping charge. B: We will issue refund half product price to you. Which one do you prefer? Looking forward to your reply. Best regards.

WTF, they are prorating it?

I don't even know how to respond.
They are looking forward to my reply in response to a letter stating they basically want me to pay 50% of the value of something that is under warranty? LOL

As for finding a genuine replacement, honestly, I don't think they exist.

Last edited:

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So I let them know that their policy doesn't say anything about prorating a warranty item and that i'd be getting $48 after paying $120.
Then they kindly sent me this message:

Thank you for your feedback. Please let us explain first. According to the warranty policy, no refund will be given after ninety (90) days from the original purchase date.But considering you are our valuable customer, we hope to make you satisfied by issuing a refund of 50% product price to you. At this moment, your understnading is highly appreciated. If you can kindly accept the solution provided, we will provide $8 coupon for you as thanksgiving gift. Please kindly let us informed of your decision. Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you

It is clearly stated on the etradesupply.com site that the returns for warranty period is 180 days.
I never asked for a refund which is 90 days., I asked for a replacement.

Although that $8 thanksgiving coupon sure does sound tasty...

According to paypal policy mechants have to do returns up to 180 days.
I replied letting them know I want a full refund or a replacement and will be filing a paypal claim tomorrow night.

Last edited:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 5 screen that had some issues - they issued a full refund, and I kept the screen.

Due to shipping to China, I don't think they generally do exchanges. They typically try to do a partial refund. I know of someone else who had to pay shipping only (around $12), and they sent a new assembly.

Hope this resolves well w/o having to go the PayPal route. Keep us up to date, though, as it may help others of us.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 5 screen that had some issues - they issued a full refund, and I kept the screen.

Due to shipping to China, I don't think they generally do exchanges. They typically try to do a partial refund. I know of someone else who had to pay shipping only (around $12), and they sent a new assembly.

Hope this resolves well w/o having to go the PayPal route. Keep us up to date, though, as it may help others of us.

I never checked the return address, but I specifically paid to get my digitizer from their US stock. If such a thing really exists. I'm betting it doesn't because most emails are written in poor English.

At this point I pretty much see the company as a scammer. The same kind of company that paypal instituted the 180 day policy to protect us from.
Seriously, offering me less than half for something under full warranty?
Then another $8 with a coupon for thanksgiving? As if i'd ever buy something there ever again.

The good news is that the lumia 640 is a damn good value at $79 for a back up phone, although you do need to have a micro sd because that phone barely fits the OS.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine from a site suggested here at one point. Turns out it was fake as well. Mine started separating but I took some krazy glue gel, and lined the sides. NO more separation.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine from a site suggested here at one point. Turns out it was fake as well. Mine started separating but I took some krazy glue gel, and lined the sides. NO more separation.

I took it back apart tonight because they have agreed to take it back if I send it and provide a tracking number to their texas address.
Although they keep linking me to there no refunds after 90 days policy to suggest they are doing me a favor when their return policy states 180 days for an exchange.

Sure enough pretty much the entire screen had separated. Which was my fear, which is also why I was willing to pay for a real one.

I'd be curious as to what they are going to send me since their site says no ATT logo screens in stock and that one costs $20 more.

Put the cracked screen back in for now, works fine.

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I replaced my step-mom's 1020 digitizer over a year ago with one I bought off eBay. If I remember correctly, I just replaced the digitizer itself, so I had to try to use adhesive to attach to the bracket, which I partially broke in the repair process. It has been functioning fine since then, but the screen is partially held in place by the protective case on the phone.

As for E-trade Supply, I have only dealt with them once. I had to replace my brother's Lumia 820 digitizer. I went through 4 different sellers on eBay, whose digitizers kept causing phantom touches or locking up the phones. I was informed that this was because an imitation digitizer. That's when I came across Etrade. It had to wait a few weeks for their stock to be replenished, but once installed, I had no more issues with the 820. I've actually been carrying that phone for the past few weeks while waiting on a new phone. In my experience, their claims to have authentic replacements parts is true.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my step-mom's 1020 digitizer over a year ago with one I bought off eBay. If I remember correctly, I just replaced the digitizer itself, so I had to try to use adhesive to attach to the bracket, which I partially broke in the repair process. It has been functioning fine since then, but the screen is partially held in place by the protective case on the phone.

As for E-trade Supply, I have only dealt with them once. I had to replace my brother's Lumia 820 digitizer. I went through 4 different sellers on eBay, whose digitizers kept causing phantom touches or locking up the phones. I was informed that this was because an imitation digitizer. That's when I came across Etrade. It had to wait a few weeks for their stock to be replenished, but once installed, I had no more issues with the 820. I've actually been carrying that phone for the past few weeks while waiting on a new phone. In my experience, their claims to have authentic replacements parts is true.

There may be genuine replacements for other phones that were more mass produced, but IMO after my experience and research I don't think a genuine replacement exists for the lumia 1020.
Same issue comes up over and over in reviews, separating screens. Not sure I've ever heard of it happening to an original 1020. Hell, my wife put the original through nearly 2 years of abuse, had she not dropped it with no case on the cement, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, digitizer went out with tracking as requested by Etradesupply.

I'll update if and when I get a new replacement screen.

Caroline M2

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

I don't think aliexpress will be OEM parts its all from China and most of the time it's not! I did ordered in the pass and it was **** stuff and they were saying oem!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss