Lumia 930 won't turn on, won't charge, dead?

Stexxter

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased a brand new Lumia 930 White, and i have previously owned a Lumia 920, so I am aware that these Lumia devices are prone to taking a while to charge in the event of the battery running out. With that said, my 2 weeks old Lumia 930 just froze during me browsing the web at it, and then turned off and, with the home-button flashing/blinking, and from that point i did these things:

1. I tried to start up the phone, did not work
2. I put it on my wireless charger, did not work (but the homescreen-button started flashing again). The little light on the chargeplate lit up, at least indicating that it had detected something. I waited for like 20 minutes, zero progress, did not work.
3. I proceeded with a soft-reset, did not work.
4. Tried to plug it into a wired charger, did not work, tried several different chargers and ports including usb-to-PC, did not work. It's worth noting that post this step, the phone stayed dead but did not even have a flashing/blinking home-button when attempting to charge it.
5. Retried the process of testing different charging methods while at the same time doing a soft reset, did not work.
6. I downloaded the Lumia recovery tool, did not detect a phone when I connected my Lumia to the PC.
7. Left it charging on wire and wireless separetaly for 2-3 hours each. Did not work.

I am out ideas, and desperate for help. And from what I've read a hard reset does not help either (and either way i'm not in the mood of doing one).

Does anyone know what I should do? Any tips or solutions/similiar experiences?

Can this be fixed or should I simply throw this phone into the wall, claim my warranty and leave this OS behind (that I ironically love, when it does work).

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
this very issue happened with my old lumia 920. Sadly I just put it in shoebox and got myself a lumia 830 until something better comes along.

Prem Anand S

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Relax. We have a solution.

I had this very sae problem on my Lumia 930 and have just found the resolution. Thought I would share it with all.

The blinking Windows button is an indicator to show that the phone has no juice left top show anything at all.

It turns out that the problem is with the Power Adaptor and not with the phone. If the power adaptor isn't delivering enough power to fully charge, then leaving the phone plugged on for the entire night does not make any difference. You may have noticed earlier on that power adaptor, the phone warns you that it is charging slowly.

I took my phone to a local mobile store and asked them if they had encountered my problem. To check what it was, he plugged the phone on charge and in less than 1 minute, even as I was trying to explain what the problem is, the blinking stopped and the large red battery symbol came on.

He could immediately tell me that the problem was with my charger and not my phone. I came home with a new charger (picked up a pre-used one at the store for ?5) and "presto", we are back online.

Love my Lumia 930!!!

Prem

PsyOr

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Relax. We have a solution.

I had this very sae problem on my Lumia 930 and have just found the resolution. Thought I would share it with all.

The blinking Windows button is an indicator to show that the phone has no juice left top show anything at all.

It turns out that the problem is with the Power Adaptor and not with the phone. If the power adaptor isn't delivering enough power to fully charge, then leaving the phone plugged on for the entire night does not make any difference. You may have noticed earlier on that power adaptor, the phone warns you that it is charging slowly.

I took my phone to a local mobile store and asked them if they had encountered my problem. To check what it was, he plugged the phone on charge and in less than 1 minute, even as I was trying to explain what the problem is, the blinking stopped and the large red battery symbol came on.

He could immediately tell me that the problem was with my charger and not my phone. I came home with a new charger (picked up a pre-used one at the store for ?5) and "presto", we are back online.

Love my Lumia 930!!!

Prem

He said he tried few different chargers and got it no work.
Maybe battery messed up, instead of trow the device replace the battery.

Prem Anand S

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
yes, I had tried it on a few chargers I had at home too before I took it out for a fix. Unfortunately, we do seem to have some issues with the chargers. I have noticed the phone warn me several times that there wasn't enough power being supplied (phone charging slowly). I just found charger on which this worked and bought that. Not very convenient...but better than having to send the phone away for a fix.

What isn't explainable yet though, is how does the battery drain to that level in the first place. My phone had roughly 30-40% juice left when I had plugged it on for the night and went to bed. The next morning was the beginning of the nightmare. This isn't the first time it hasn't happened to me too. On other occasions, I just would leave it unplugged for a about half a day and put it back on charge and the phone would just start charging again. This time, none of my chargers at home worked and had to resort to getting a new one (although I had not known earlier that the blinking was actually an indicator of the low battery).

Microsoft should find a resolution for this.

Last edited:

Mark Verhagen

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I get a lot of customers in our shop with older (w7) lumias like the 800 and 900 with the same problem, back then when the battery was completly empty it could not even detect the charger anymore so the phone would not charge, the "trick" to get it charging again is put the phone in a charger and heat up the battery/phone with a hair dryer/blower of put it on the radiator of your heating system at home. the chemical process will start in the battery and gets a little power boost, enough to detect the charger again and start charging the phone again.

just sharing my 2 cents.

M-sev

May 27, 2015
Visit site
same has happened to my phone, i was using technical preview on my pc too, i was waiting for stuff to get good on windows phone too, but nah, not now, i was an android user before. one less customer for windows phone ever again here.
May must be microsoft's most nightmare month so far, i am reading nothing good, on the subject of pc technical preview again i tried it out after a computer repair so i could update drivers more quickly with an os install, build 74 sempt to be going so well, apart from disapearing hardwear drivers every morning, then i put build 122 on, i'm really worried for microsoft's mental health at this stage... look it up, the notorious build 10122

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786