Tips for night photography?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
So being that spring is right around the corner, I'm gunna be taking lots of photos. I'm really into astronomy and want to take some good shots at night. I'm aware I would get better results on a legitimate camera but I know lumia's are fantastic camera phones. I know how to use the manual settings but can't seem to get them just right and its quite annoying. Tried just about everything. Here's one shot I took that I'm quite happy with but since then they don't even compare. Tips? anybody have go to settings that work quite well?

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 5

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The problem you have in the shot you are displaying is you have the two opposite extremes when it comes to exposure. A very light object and very dark places around your images. Even with a pro camera capturing a good image at the time of day you shot it would be difficult.

I would suggest shooting the moon earlier in the evening when there is a little more light in your sky.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'll give it a shot tomorrow and post the results here, see what you think then.

The problem you have in the shot you are displaying is you have the two opposite extremes when it comes to exposure. A very light object and very dark places around your images. Even with a pro camera capturing a good image at the time of day you shot it would be difficult.

I would suggest shooting the moon earlier in the evening when there is a little more light in your sky.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Your image will then have more color.

You can also look for areas that reflect the light cast by the moon. Water is an example. The reflected light will then fill the darker areas of your image.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
That's a good idea as well, I do have a fairly large pond on my property so I can test that as well. Much appreciated.

Your image will then have more color.

You can also look for areas that reflect the light cast by the moon. Water is an example. The reflected light will then fill the darker areas of your image.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb