Unbranding Lumia 635

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Bought an AT&T Lumia 635 - GoPhone with no contract from Amazon in yesterday's Lightning deals.

I just want to know is it possible to flash other ROMs on a AT&T Devices. I have heard of AT&T locking the phone ROMs to not to flash with Roms other than AT&T.
Am from India & Unfortunately 635 is not available in India so there will not be any Indian ROM.
Am looking forward to the International ROM of 635.
Is it possible to flash..?
Without flashing, will this phone works with Indian Carriers ?
OR
Can I flash a 630 ROM to 635?

Help needed.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm not sure if you can flash a different ROM, but I believe you can.

BUT you will have to get that device unlocked by AT&T or a third-party before it can be used on an Indian carrier.
BEING CARRIER-LOCKED IS INDEPENDENT OF THE ROM CURRENTLY ON THE PHONE. (my AT&T 920 is locked to AT&T, but has a French ROM)
It is AT&T-locked (hence the price) and you may not be able to unlock it.
Try AT&T's website first.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I just tried to unlock my own 635, and AT&T wont allow you to unlock a GoPhone without first subscribing to a plan for 6 months. Im looking for an alternative unlocking service and have had luck in the past.

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The problem is GETTING the unlock code. AT&T wont unlock GoPhones without a minimum of 6 months of subscriptions.

There are youtube videos that can help you and websites that give you an unlock code if you are willing to pay and give the IMEI number. But IDK if this will work because you said AT&T will not unlock before 6 month subscription.

Also try WillMyPhoneWork.net to see if the carrier will work with the phone

Th3Jinx

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried selecting "Non-AT&T Mobility Customers" when requesting the unlock code from AT&T? Worked fine with me and the Best Buy deal.

Kmel33

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

You can easily unlock your Lumia 635 with the unlock code. I also bought an ATT Lumia 635 Go phone few months ago and bought an unlock code on Internet for few dollars. Now I am using it in France without any problem totally unlocked.
For unbranding this phone, it is another story. I was unable to put another rom. ATT has a specific Rom and you can only flash an ATT Rom. If you try to flash an international ROM, you will receive an FFU error! That means that the ROM is not matching the ATT rom...

So I am using my 635 with the ATT firmware and I don't find any problem. I only see the ATT logo when I switch the phone on and that's all !
:evil:

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried selecting "Non-AT&T Mobility Customers" when requesting the unlock code from AT&T? Worked fine with me and the Best Buy deal.

Mine is GoPhone. For unlocking GoPhone atleast we should use their Service for 6 months.
Did you just bought the phone & contact At&t for unlock code..?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine is GoPhone. For unlocking GoPhone atleast we should use their Service for 6 months.
Did you just bought the phone & contact At&t for unlock code..?

They usually unlock GoPhones that haven't been activated on their network.

For debranding you can look out for any Latin American ROMs, especially Mexico or Brazil CV

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But the one i bought is a "No Contract" Phone.
Then also the device will be carrier locked..?

"No contract" does NOT mean "unlocked"

They are separate details.
Buying a "no contract" phone does not inherently mean it'll be unlocked.

I would try this first.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I selected "non-AT&T mobility customer" and it DID unlock my 635 GoPhone! Just asked for the IMEA, name, and E-mail addy. After a quick confirmation E-mail, they sent me a working unlock code within an hour! As for wiping the AT&T boot screen, I have no idea.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I selected "non-AT&T mobility customer" and it DID unlock my 635 GoPhone! Just asked for the IMEA, name, and E-mail addy. After a quick confirmation E-mail, they sent me a working unlock code within an hour! As for wiping the AT&T boot screen, I have no idea.

You can't get rid of the AT&T boot screen unless you flash it to a different ROM as mentioned earlier.

mofoliar

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
i bought the gophone just to play with windows 10.. never activated it with att...

i wanted to use on tmobile, so got on att site,chose non mobility got an email within 2 hours and popped in my tmobile sim and works great with LTE...

Eric Gisin

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The firmware that boots is completely different from the WinPhone OS. The PC analogy would be the UEFI on the mainboard and Windows on your disk. The mobile radio has its own CPU and firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon