How can I get a data network to work in South Korea?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to get data network to work in South Korea

Hello,
I have a Lumia 520, which I bought unlocked from Amazon in the States, and I'm *pretty* sure it IS a global phone. I've had intentions to live abroad for years, and have been back and forth between America and other places, so buying a global phone was definitely on my radar, but if there were global and non-global versions of this phone and I got confused when ordering, there is the possibility that I didn't order exactly what I wanted. I've had the phone for about 15 months, but I haven't lived abroad with it until now.

I'm in South Korea for a year and have a prepaid phone plan, which includes data, but Windows phone is virtually unknown here, and after going back and forth with EG SIM's service department, they finally felt like my problems needed to be handed over to Windows. They're thinking that I need to manually configure my APN in order to connect to the data network, and gave me values for APN, MCC, MNC, and MMSC, but the problem is that the form to add a new APN doesn't have a space for all of these labels-- or at least not as far as I can identify. There is mention of APN, MMS, and MMSC, but nothing for MCC or MNC.

Can someone help me out? Do you have experience abroad with this phone, or even in Korea, or know how exactly to figure it out? For the record, talk and text work, and I CAN connect to WiFi here in Korea, so the problem is just with the data network not working properly.

Thanks in advance.

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to get data network to work in South Korea

if they gave you values for APN, MCC, MNC, and MMSC

The APN values are for you to get Internet connection on your phone.. You've got to got to Settings, Celular SIM, SIM Settings, Turn on Manual Internet APN... And set your APN url and leave user and password blank. If they gave you a Proxy server and Port put them on the boxes... And select the IP type, if they told you to.. If not, you don't need to fill up those boxes.

If you wanna get MMS working you've got to use the add MMS APN option.. There you put your MMS APN, User name and Pass if they use one. And there you can use MMSC URL and(or) port... Hope this little, and maybe quite uncomprehensive guide helps you

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to get data network to work in South Korea

^^^ That covers it pretty well.

MCC is Mobile Country Code - each country has their own and S. Korea is 450. Every carrier in S. Korea is 450
MNC is Mobile Network Code - each carrier gets assigned one and each is unique within that country.

From Mobile country code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Capture.JPG

Some phones require MCC and MNC be input (like iPhone), but your Windows Phone does not need these values. You can safely ignore them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro