Why are my Capacitive Keys randomly enabling Cortana?

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Capacitive Keys random behavior

Hi everyne,

I have a Lumia 930 and I have notice several issues regarding the capacitive keys - mainly back and search buttons.

Some times the search key is randomly activating itself, by enabling Cortana. The screen is not reacting to any touch. I have to lock and unlock the phone in order to continue using it. At some point I thought it was the Hey Cortana feature, so i deactivated. But it was not that.
Now the button stopped working at all. At some point it start working again and after a while, again randomely it was triggered. Now it hs completely stopped working.The rest of the capacitive keys are working properly.

At some point, I cleaned my screen - even though it was clean enough, but some finger prints - with a fiber fabric and coincidentally all buttons start working. and after a day again random behavior. Now, the cleaning of the screen didn't help. In addition I have played around with various settings, such as touch sensitivity, key vibrations etc. None of them seem to help.

Another similar issue i had few days ago, i noticed that suddenly the phone was in the app switcher and i assume that the back button was
randomely triggered. Once again, i had to lock and unlock the phone. I haven't seen this issue since the search button started triggering itself.

While searching for similar problems of other users, i found that also other Lumias have similar issues since last year. But no one reports the solution he found - if there is any. Most probable because at some point the keys start working again.

Any suggestions?

Model: Lumia 930
OS version: 8.10.14219.341

PsyOr

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Capacitive Keys random behavior

If you press harder its still not respond?
The key's light still on or its off?

Have you tried a hard reset, maybe it's software issue?

BTW, there is any possible to use these keys on the screen, as same as the nexus 4/5 devices?

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

The light is working properly.
These are capacitive buttons, so you don;t press them but you touch them. Even if I touch with more pressure, it doesn't respond.

For now i have Cortana tile on my start screen. So there is a work around. But it's a compromise that I wouldn't like to do for a new phone.
I contacted the store and they told me they can send it for repair, but this might take 2-3 weeks.

I haven't tried a hard reset yet. But I bought the phone 10 days ago. So, it was already resetted.

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

I just hard reset the phone. But the button doesn't seem to react.
I used the option to restore my last backup. Do you think i should try one more time without restoring it?

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

After 3 days, the search key start working again.
I was biking to work and when I get into the building, i took the phone out of my pocket to look at it - it was cold due to temperature - and when I unlocked it seemed that the back key was activated and went to the app switcher. then i locked and unlocked it and all buttons are working properly.
It is a really weird behavior.

Danny King

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem with my 930.

For the longest time, the search button just never worked. At some point, it started working intermittently but would randomly launch Cortana then cause the rest of the touch screen to stop responding, as if it was being held down, until I locked and unlocked the phone.

It just did this for a long time, now it's gone for a long period of simply not working.

It's a problem with build quality, I keep meaning to send it back to Microsoft but the local Nokia Care shop seems to be a Samsung Care shop now and I've no idea how to get it back to MS under warranty, their website is very unhelpful...

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Indeed my device's keys as well, start working randomly at some point and two weeks now they completely stopped reacting.
I have contacted the store where I bought it and they will send it to service, i assume Nokia/Microsoft to fix it. They told me this will take around 2-3 weeks.
I live in the Netherlands and I know that there is a Nokia service center. Where do you live? You might send an email to Microsoft support, usually they answer in 1-2 days.

Good luck

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well, I sent my phone to Arvato service. They received it on Monday afternoon. Surprisingly, Tuesday night they send it with UPS and i received it today.
Due to the fact that I was still inside the warranty period, I didn't have to pay something. In the invoice it seems that they changed few things from my phone.
These are:
-vibra flex conductive adhesive,
-jumper flex conductive adhesive,
-mimo coax flex conductive adhesive,
-a lot of screws,
-lte adhesive,
-4dg hsj flex assy.

It seems that it works fine now. After some time i will update here.

Jacky Singh

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Just got my L930 replace because of faulty on/of button and now new issue of automatic randomly enabling back, and search button... i hard reset it... got 8.1 update 2 through Windows insider. But still the problem exist. Tired of going to Nokia care... I regret buying L930.

ealkalai

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
You are just unlucky. If it still under dead on arrival you will immediately get another device. But you can still send it for service under warranty. As I said, I was surprized that I received my phone back after 2 days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750