Battery Issue after Denim update

Samgh

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Number of battery related issues I am facing post Denim update to my Lumia 1520
- Battery shows it is charged in the range of 60-68%, even then get popup related to Low Battery for 1 second and the phone reboots
- When I record videos for 2-3 mins clips in the 1080p resolution, the phone reboots with the same Low Battery popup for a second, though the battery is quite charged ~70%
- Quite randomly, the phone starts to get warm and soon the battery drains fast and phone reboots

Steps I have taken:
- My Battery Saver is operational
- Background operations of unnecessary apps is switched off
- Charging pattern is I charge it overnight, but also require it to be charged during the day

Any one else facing similar issues

Regards,
Sam

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

- Battery shows it is charged in the range of 60-68%, even then get popup related to Low Battery for 1 second and the phone reboots
- When I record videos for 2-3 mins clips in the 1080p resolution, the phone reboots with the same Low Battery popup for a second, though the battery is quite charged ~70%
- Quite randomly, the phone starts to get warm and soon the battery drains fast and phone reboots

Steps I have taken:
- Charging pattern is I charge it overnight, but also require it to be charged during the day

Regards,
Sam

Try hard reset it might solve your problem...or else try Lumia software recovery tool...

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Battery shows it is charged in the range of 60-68%, even then get popup related to Low Battery for 1 second and the phone reboots

I have a similar problem to this, but it doesn't reboot, it just shuts down. In the past when I got the battery is critical message it would still run for a while, but now it just dies immediately. If I plug it in the battery shows as being around 50% charged, so it doesn't seem to know what it's talking about.

Wifi and Bluetooth are rarely turned on, like less than once a week, and all background activity that can be disabled has been.

In general I find fast draining is related to some new app somewhere. Recently I had to get rid of a game called Anodia, kind of a brick bashing game, because it was obviously doing stuff in the background and killing my battery. Escape the Prison Room, or whatever it was called, is another battery disaster.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Steps I have taken:

Regards,
Sam

Its normal due to the under the hood tweaks

tejazz

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
You're not alone, for there are many of us with the exact same problem. Here's a reddit thread on the same: HTTP WWW REDDIT COM /r/windowsphone/comments/2zx7v5/bad_battery_life_on_lumia_1520_has_someone_else/

(sorry can't post links yet, mods please delete if I've breached any rules)

Samgh

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Finally reset my phone using the software recovery tool.
Have disabled Bluetooth, NFC etc etc. Selected "not allowed" for most of the apps to run in the background.
Do not see a great improvement in the life of the battery charge. Keeping fingers crossed.

BTW before I reset the phone, while I was using the camera, the phone shut down when the battery was 91%.
On restarting the battery showed 31% and died on me again.
When I put it for recharge in a matter of 30 mins it recharged from 30% to 100% which is not normal. Looks like have to get battery changed :-(

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with me. Took some video/picture or surf 20~30minutes. My phone battery show critical low and shutdown. After on restart, show still have 40% and I open back camera take few pictures and phone shutdown again. This time cannot boot back and need charger. Normally will charge to 30% and take 20minutes to 100% ( check using insider pro).

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
SAME EXACT symptoms on my AT&T Lumia 1520...are we just collectively putting up with this? What should be our course of action...it's kind of ridiculous that we can't even take photos with a smartphone that has a 15MP camera :(

mrshots

May 8, 2014
Visit site
YES. So annoying! It switches off at: 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%. This is a serious issue as my phone has become very unreliable.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Drain the battery completely so it is off.
(Skip this step if you do not have the tools and skill) Disconnect the battery and press the power button, then reassemble
Without manually powering it back on connect the charger and let it charge to full.
Report any changes.

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Drain the battery completely so it is off.
(Skip this step if you do not have the tools and skill) Disconnect the battery and press the power button, then reassemble
Without manually powering it back on connect the charger and let it charge to full.
Report any changes.

I believe I've tried this several times with no changes. However, I did not disassemble my Lumia 1520 and disconnect the battery (don't have the tools). Since you mention that though, have you heard of any positive experiences with battery swaps on "unibody" Lumia devices? I would like to try swapping out the battery...and at the same time fear that this is just a software issue since (like other users here) this issue suddenly arose after updating to Denim.

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
@mrshots: Couldn't agree more. Have you noticed a pattern? For example, the sudden shutdown occurs especially when using the Instagram BETA app, using IE, after taking 2-3 photos using Lumia Camera, or recording a few seconds of video. However, when text messaging or using the phone for voice calls seems to be okay--similar at your end?

Last edited:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Doing a firmware reset with the recovery tool should have reset the stored battery data. The charge percentage is flip flopping around and the problem is occurring at times your draining battery the fastest. The heat is a factor here it sounds like. The next logical step is to try a new battery or at the very least inspect the one you have for that tell-tale bulge.

Still under warranty?

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Doing a firmware reset with the recovery tool should have reset the stored battery data. The charge percentage is flip flopping around and the problem is occurring at times your draining battery the fastest. The heat is a factor here it sounds like. The next logical step is to try a new battery or at the very least inspect the one you have for that tell-tale bulge.

Still under warranty?

Not under warranty as of last December. I performed a factory-reset, which I don't think is the same as a firmware reset with the recovery tool because it was still on Denim after the factory reset. Will a firmware reset also clear user data like a factory reset? Tell-tale bulge on the battery itself if it's faulty?

mrshots

May 8, 2014
Visit site
For me, there has been no pattern. It can switch off whatever I am doing. It can be fixed by charging it for 1 second, but that is very inconvenient for me.

Yesterday I was in cheddar with my phone, and I took 2 photos at 40% and then it switched off... So I couldn't take photos of the lovely landscape.

I hard reset my phone too, no effect (I did have a temporary effect though)

I guess we just have to wait... It switched off at 70% for me now :/

I think the illusion of pattern comes with how often you do something, if you browse a lot, you'll have the illusion that that is the cause. But for me, it triggers when the phone is not in use also, so that leads me to think there is no pattern...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers, and that there my be a chance of a fix...

By the way, how this bug came about was very gradual. Once a week it would do this, but it was solvable, then it happened more often, and now every day. I switched chargers and that solved it for a Short amount of time. I'll experiment with using a different charger each day and let you know my findings :)

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
@mrshots: Pretty much all of what you described fits my experience, except for being triggered when the phone is not in use--that has yet to happen to me. What leads me to think there is some pattern is because what I do most on the phone has never triggered a shut off, which is text messaging. It only seems to happen when media consumption is heavy, at least on my Lumia 1520. I would also agree with you that the issue is gradually getting worse--when it started, the phone would give a warning and actually reboot, now it's gotten to the point where no warning is given and the phone simply shuts off and can't be restarted until plugged in or a period of time has passed with the phone off.

mrshots

May 8, 2014
Visit site
No difference using different chargers.
I'm buying a good portable charger, to give it a jumpstart when it nods off to sleep :).

That should be better.

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
@mrshots: Forgot to mention that I wasn't having better luck with different chargers either. Not sure how much better I'd feel about having to connect a portable charger while taking photos or trying to capture video...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3