Where to get Nokia battery?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to carry a spare battery and I also like to buy only the manufacturer's battery. Wasted too much money on third party "same as OEM" rubbish.

A search of Nokia.com is diverted to microsoft.com and of course, msoft being, well, er, umm, msoft, the dopes there have no batteries for phones, plenty of laptops of all other brands. What is wrong with these people?

Amazon doesn't list the real deal, so where does one buy a real Nokia BV-L4A battery for the 830?

Thanks

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why not buy the dc-19 or dc-21
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fmobile%2Faccessory%2Fdc-21%2F&token=Ds7yn60k
These external battery's work much easier than using an internal spare battery.

because swapping out batteries means the phone isn't tethered to a charger.

I would check AT&T's website, Microsoft's, then a place like eBay or Amazon for OEM (I've had good luck getting original batteries for older devices here), not third party batteries.

but unfortunately it looks like you already tried much of those...

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Best and cheapest place to buy mobile accessories would be Ebay, just make sure you set the item condition to new and your good to go.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
because swapping out batteries means the phone isn't tethered to a charger.

???
What is the problem with this tethering. You still need to charge the internal battery.

Use a spare internal battery.
Start
- first charge the battery which is in the phone.
- switch off your phone
- open the back cover and replace it with the other battery and charge that battery.
- get a box or something to carry the spare battery (to protect/prevent that the battery contact are "shorted")
- go outside and use your phone.
- battery is nearly empty
- switch off your phone
- open the back cover.
- change the battery
- close the back cover.
- switch on your phone.
- at home go back to start.

Disadvantage
- You have to remove the back cover "a lot". Back cover may ware out.
- You have to switch on and off your phone "a lot" . This is inconvenient but not harmful for your
phone.
-Getting the battery out is a kind of soft reset so you have to be sure that date and time are set automatically. Not a problem just a reminder.
- The battery level should not should not be to low to prevent extra ware of the battery.
-(And actual the OP's questions where to get a genuine battery)

Use of the DC-21
Start
-Put the charger in the dc21 and charge it.
-If you want charger your phone but not really needed if you have the dc21
-go outside and use your phone.
-Connect the battery when ever you want.
-The dc-21 has 6000 mA a 830 battery 2200 so about 2.5 time more juice.
-At home go to Start.

Disadvantage DC 21
-more heavy than the internal battery and you also have to bring along the small USB cable.
-maybe it is more expensive as a internal battery.

Conclusion.
- I do not see the tethering at a charger as a disadvantage compared with the use of a spare internal battery because also the internal battery has to be charged (in the phone or you have to buy a external battery charger) but charging is charging.
-It is easier to prevent that the battery level will enter the "danger" zone.
-The backcover will not ware out that much compared with the use of a spare internal battery.
- With the DC-21 you can even help out a friend if his/her phones runs out of juice.
- You do not need to use your phone as charger (for the internal battery)

So why is the use of an internal spare battery "better".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK let me counter that.

Spare battery:
Use phone, drain battery.
Replace battery, voila, you're good to go.

Less to carry.
Don't need to use the battery? Don't need to use the battery.
No charging time (its deferred to later)
"danger zone" is not that major of a problem.
If the cover wears out, replacement is cheap, and the cover was probably poorly made.
(here's looking at the story of the man who snapped his 620's back on-and-off repeatedely for extended periods of time, for weeks, IIRC before something broke. the headset jack)
Extended battery options are possible.
No need to plug in on-the-go.
Battery wear isn't as big of a problem.
Date+time changes is a non-issue for a normal device that sets it automatically anyway.
etc

You'll have to juggle batteries when charging though.
Only for your phone model.
etc

External battery:
Start.
- first charge the battery which is in the phone.
- use phone
- decide to charge phone
- take out the large pack and cable from its protective retail box because its super easy for a paperclip to find its way into its USB port these days. (this entire post has some satire, I know a battery short is a potential risk, but I don't have a purse)
- figure out how to plug in cable, risking microUSB damage.
- plug in cable whenever you want, wearing out the port (which I would also say is not a major concern unless you do it 60 times daily)
- figure out how to deal with the pack dangling off the phone.
- cradle the phone so as to not break either the female or male end of the connector.
- not do anything intensive (e.g. GPS, gaming) if the pack isn't fast enough, main battery can reach 0% sooner if that's the case.
- try to go for a run or do other things.
- your mobile device is now not-so-mobile.
etc

I've seen enough people holding a phone and a large pack tethered to it. awkward
You're on the go and have to use your phone, do you keep that thing plugged into the battery?

Of course I own a 920, so I don't have a choice. But I picked up a BB Z10, so its a nice change of pace.
but yea, I technically have both, and they're both have their uses.

But I just saw a really interesting accessory.
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-LS...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3034019
Why not both?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I guess we covered all pro and cons (apart from were to buy the internal battery) so the OP can make the decide which is more suitable for his/her needs.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Woah! :) Didn't mean to start a range-war. I like the spare battery as I can swap it in and leave it there until it happens to need swapping out again.

I have a bedside charger I place the phone in each night so it is usually always charged and carry the spare battery my truck. I have been doing that with my phones for probably ten years. I swap the battery out once a month if I have not been forced to do so prior to that so the "spare" battery is always well charged.

As to that auction site, have been screwed over too many times to use them ever again. Virtually impossible to contact a human when you have a problem. I guess I will just go with atbatt and see what they have. I can't understand Nokia not selling spares.

Msoft wants to make WP a main stream phone contender but then slaps us around like this. Don't get me started on the Firmware BS. Probably going to regret buying this 830, but had to replace the 520. Maybe if OnePlus can get their act together and stay away from google-like encroaching on the user, the PlusTwo maybe on my horizon.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Aaaarrrrghhh -MICROSOFT!

Just checked the auction site, only two batteries, one ships from Spain, the other from the UK.

Way to go supporting your product msoft.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No problem we like to give our "options".

Here one more the 830 has QI. I have also a QI phone and in my car I have the Nokia CR-201. This is a car holder/QI charger. And I like it a lot.

The Nokia CR-201 is the follow up of the CR-200 but often the 201 is still called the 200.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I was in the Philippines for a month and a spare battery was the easiest method.
All day texting and 70-100 photos a day, plus editing and sharing to fb takes a toll on battery life.
When it got to critical usage at about 7% I just popped off the back
removed the battery and replaced it with a fresh one.
I didn't even turn it off I just pulled the battery.
FYI I did this with my 810 for several years and not powering down
before I replaced the battery had no adverse affects on the phone or battery.
If you in USA, AT&T sells OEM Nokia battery for the 830

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Looks like you can get it straight from AT&T's website, though for some reason it shows the battery of a Lumia 520, though it clearly states the correct specs for an 830's battery. It's $35 which I think is a tad outrageous but official stuff tends to be more expensive.

On a side note, I always loved having a spare battery, but I've always been confused as to a proper place to keep it. People say they keep them in their wallets but I don't see how that's possible due to the sheer size of some batteries, like newer Android phones or even this particular 830 battery. I'm hesitant to keep it in my car due to potential problems when the car gets hot on the inside during a summer day.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll check AT&T, but I hate to send them money though. :)

"Wallet" ins some places can mean a small purse and not the thing we stuff in our hip-pocket. :)

The battery left in the vehicle will get no hotter than a cell phone left in the vehicle. The operating range for batteries should be well within the range of a hot vehicle even in the Desert States of the US.

It's not a bad idea to be cautious, but I, like you, have been swapping spare-batteries for years and have yet to have the one left in the car cause any issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs