Does the Lumia 640 come with Windows Phone 10?

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 640 & Windows Phone 10

Hi there.

Microsoft is sending me the Lumia 640 to try out. I am an Android user and fan and from my limited experience of Windows Phone i still think the OS (and phones) are at least 2 years behind Android & iOS.

Does the 640 come with WP10? if not when can we expect WP10 in mobiles? Why is it taking too long?

I have a Mac. Is there a new way to transfer/upload files from my Mac to a Lumia phone without the use of a USB cable? (such as throne website or what Airdroid can do)

I use Google services such as Youtube, Drive, Maps & Gmail. I have heard of alternatives but my main concerns are: Prefer saving my files (such as photos or videos to Google Drive), Maps (Here Maps have offline mode but is it fast & accurate when it comes to walk navigation due to my work) & Youtube knowing the Android & iOS versions seems much faster, cleaner and ability to cast directly from within the app.

When i had the 1020 and the 830 and setting up, finding & installing apps seems to take a lot longer than a "normal" mid-range Android phone like the Moto-G or Galaxy S5 Mini. Will the 640 be any different?

Does the 640 have a water resist coating similar to Motorola phones? (Not talking about IP/IPX certification here)

Do we now have a dedicated Music Player app that you can create Playlist, edit EQ settings on-the-fly? Or any really good music player app that you guys can recommend?

Please advice.

Thanks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 640 & Windows Phone 10

It won't come with Windows 10, but will be upgradable.

Windows 10 is due in summer.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Yep...go with android! Every operating system is different, depending on your needs, There is nothing wrong with Windows or android or ios.......its a personal thing based on personal usage....Windows suits me because is so,so damn COOL

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
OP sounds like you're used to android - I'd advise sticking with it. Especially if you need it for work. There are work arounds but ultimately the usability and apps are not there yet, for the seamless integration you're used to. You can nearly get there but it requires work and fiddling around, and - for you - it might save you a head ache if you stick with android. Especially if you use and are entrenched in the google ecosystem.

I've been with windows mobile since the late nineties and I always keep a back up phone, especially since windows phone 7 scuppering so many features. A simple thing like switching vpns to openvpn, if the country decides to block access (looking at you HK) or having to use a browser for something (ie is good for what it is but many times chrome will load websites and static pages that WP can't deal with at all) - well it's limited.

But I use a 1520 for my daily driver for a reason - here maps is fantastic (though it runs amazing on my galaxy s5, Nokia really have done well), the camera and battery life are brilliant and the device can take a beating. I love it.

But doing something simple like using the bank of America website (no app support) - it fails.

W10 may be better. Read around the subject before you invest any of your own money. It isn't for everyone. But I can say that if you can put up with it it is a snappy and reasonably well thought out system. The notification center and all that needs work and there's no smart dialer, and other simple things can frustrate but w10 is coming and really it is a fun os. It has legs.

Sorry for the ramble but I thought id put that out there warts and all. You're asking your question on a site where you may not get an unbiased answer ;)

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Does the 640 come with WP10? if not when can we expect WP10 in mobiles? Why is it taking too long?
+++ No. Windows Mobile 10 is not out yet. Its currently under development. MS says Windows 10 will be out by summer so Windows Mobile 10 will not be far off...I hope.

I have a Mac. Is there a new way to transfer/upload files from my Mac to a Lumia phone without the use of a USB cable? (such as throne website or what Airdroid can do)
+++ Yes, there are several apps in the Windows Phone store like Easy transfer etc.

I use Google services such as Youtube, Drive, Maps & Gmail. I have heard of alternatives but my main concerns are: Prefer saving my files (such as photos or videos to Google Drive), Maps (Here Maps have offline mode but is it fast & accurate when it comes to walk navigation due to my work) & Youtube knowing the Android & iOS versions seems much faster, cleaner and ability to cast directly from within the app.
+++ Sorry but Google is not Windows phone friendly so unless you are willing to move to Outlook, Bing (MS ecosystem) then Android is still the best bet for you but, no harm in trying Windows Phone.

When i had the 1020 and the 830 and setting up, finding & installing apps seems to take a lot longer than a "normal" mid-range Android phone like the Moto-G or Galaxy S5 Mini. Will the 640 be any different?
+++ We do not know yet. 640 has not come out but since it will have Windows Phone 8.1 then it will be the same experience on the 1020 and 830 like you mentioned.

Does the 640 have a water resist coating similar to Motorola phones? (Not talking about IP/IPX certification here)
+++ No.

Do we now have a dedicated Music Player app that you can create Playlist, edit EQ settings on-the-fly? Or any really good music player app that you guys can recommend?
+++ I think so. I'm not a music junkie so I think some folks here can help. I just use Folder Play. Its simple and it works for my need.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett